How to not get cold while stopping to eat

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I posted on here a while ago about going from beginner to 60 miles in a couple of months. A lot of people said nutrition would be a big thing. Oh, how right you were. :)

I HATE stopping. Hate it. My muscles get cold, I get out of the zone, I have awful trouble getting going again.

I've been adding five miles a week and did 30 miles in 2hr 25 mins on Monday. Did that without any food stops. I have Lucozade Sport in my bottle and stopped twice, for <20 seconds, to swig some of that.

The last 3-4 miles I was getting pretty hungry and I know I can't extend my distance any further without incorporating proper stops. I also know I should be stopping for a small and quick snack every hour, and not waiting until I'm hungry.

When I did a 25 mile route I stopped after about 18 miles to eat something. It was a cold day which didn't help but my muscles cooled off quickly and then I had pain in a groin muscle the rest of the way. :(

What do you do on a stop?

Comments

• pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    On winter rides I NEVER stop to refuel unless it in a cafe. I eat on the go because like you say stopping drags you out of the zone and lets your muscles cool down which half way round a ride is not good.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As a compromise in the colder times I stop but use a bus stop (fully enclosed) for a quick stop to eat my food. Keeps me out of the cold air and any wind, plus we have quite a few round my way without seating so standing is the only option which makes getting the food in quickly and back on the bike the only option. If its really cold I will do the same but stop for a coffee in the last 1/3 of a ride to warm myself up.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I just eat and drink on the move but I have to stop to pee which I have to do even on a 20 miler.I do drink a lot on the bike though and in 45miles yesterday got through 2x 750ml bottles.Dreading the summer heat,I.ll need 6 bottles at least.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Happened to me on Sunday, were not really going at a fast pace but the cafe stop really cooled me down and then started to feel a knee pain near the end of the ride.

Try not to stop unless you really have to, if you are snacking try and do it on the bike and only really stop at a cafe or for a quick wizz and then back on the bike.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Keep going!
    I take a glove off and stick it in a jersey pocket ( i have 5 on my winter jacket, so one on the side) and dig out some food (chocolate brownies/flapjack are the current food of choice) and eat on on the move.

Put wrappers up sleeve or back in pocket, put on glove, have some water then speed up!
  • Anonymous
    Practice by drinking while moving. It shouldn't be too tricky and its good improvement to bike handling skills.

Soon you'll be absolutely fine riding no handed with the 3 course dinner service mount on your handlebars with the finest china.
  • pinkteapot
    Hmmmm I tried drinking on the move on Monday and gave up. Reaching down, with my hand only halfway to the bottle cage, I thought I was going to fall off!

I'll keep practicing. :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Only ever drink from the downtube, it's much easier to get the bottle out from there. If you are carrying two bidons and you empty the first: swap 'em over.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I can drink on the bike but eating has always been a problem (seems to me like a choice between eating and breathing). On a ride, we tend to have a stop for about 5 minutes, quick bite to eat then back on. In summer, things are a little different but in the cold any stop has to be quick.
  • Anonymous
    take smaller bites or just slow down!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    You shouldn't really need to eat on anything up to 40 miles, just use a good quality Carb drink and that should work fine.

If you don't like stopping, then as others have said, get used to eating a bar or a banana whilst on the move.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    edited April 2013
    I usually carry a couple of gels and a hand full of home baked flapjack, cut into bite sized bits and wrapped in grease proof paper. I just pop one in on the move.

I tuck the wrapper up the leg of my shorts - looks comical, but is quick and easy.

But yes - the key is eating/drinking on the move
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I never stop, what's the point? You can eat on the move no probs.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    pinkteapot wrote:
    I posted on here a while ago about going from beginner to 60 miles in a couple of months. A lot of people said nutrition would be a big thing. Oh, how right you were. :)

I HATE stopping. Hate it. My muscles get cold, I get out of the zone, I have awful trouble getting going again.

I've been adding five miles a week and did 30 miles in 2hr 25 mins on Monday. Did that without any food stops. I have Lucozade Sport in my bottle and stopped twice, for <20 seconds, to swig some of that.

The last 3-4 miles I was getting pretty hungry and I know I can't extend my distance any further without incorporating proper stops. I also know I should be stopping for a small and quick snack every hour, and not waiting until I'm hungry.

When I did a 25 mile route I stopped after about 18 miles to eat something. It was a cold day which didn't help but my muscles cooled off quickly and then I had pain in a groin muscle the rest of the way. :(

What do you do on a stop?

Why don't you just keep going? Take some old bananas that are easy to eat while riding and keep them in your jersey pockets for easy access.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Fig rolls are perfect fodder for eating on the move. Bite size, non-melting with a quick sugar rush and a longer duration slow carb release.
    If you need to stop for a repair, put your spare jacket on (you do carry one ?).
    Y0u may want to wear thicker leggings ion colder days.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    perfect on a hybrid...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pdw-bar-ista-coffee-cup-holder/

Don't know if they do a matching snack bowl, or you have two of these and fill one cup with nibbles :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • How much calories is there in a fly?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    approx 15 :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Read that eating whilst slowly cycling is better and means that you will be less hungry when you get home as the movement helps you digest or something (im not a doctor!!)
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    You will find that over time you get used to this sort of thing, and can cope much better with the whole eating and drinking stuff without any drama.

I've been riding a long, long time, and managed a quick 40 miles after a cup of coffee; I forgot to have breakfast, and my bottle wasn't touched. Stop thinking that you absolutely, desperately must have food and drink to fuel you for a couple of hours exercise; that's not the way our bodies work.

Keep on with the riding, and you will learn about how and when you need to eat and drink; it's not as often as you think...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    crikey wrote:
    Stop thinking that you absolutely, desperately must have food and drink to fuel you for a couple of hours exercise; that's not the way our bodies work.
    Bosh. Ladies and gentleman, a genius has materialised among us. Welcome crikey.

That's all there is to it. A couple of hours not very strenuous exercise - 30 miles in 2 & half hours - doesn't require much more than a swig of squash.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    team47b wrote:
    perfect on a hybrid...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pdw-bar-ista-coffee-cup-holder/

Don't know if they do a matching snack bowl, or you have two of these and fill one cup with nibbles :D

Oh FFS I thought this was an April fool but it's real! :shock:

You shouldn't need to eat much at all over sixty miles. On a hundred mile cycle (the distance where you really *do* start needing to eat) I will maybe have half an energy bar and a couple of litres of enegry drink.

What you maybe need to do is just get fitter.

I do recall though that when I started going such distances I was trying to survive on just water. You do need to keep hydrated and with salt intake. Some isotonic drink would work well for 60 miles.
  • Anonymous
    CiB wrote:
    crikey wrote:
    Stop thinking that you absolutely, desperately must have food and drink to fuel you for a couple of hours exercise; that's not the way our bodies work.
    Bosh. Ladies and gentleman, a genius has materialised among us. Welcome crikey.

That's all there is to it. A couple of hours not very strenuous exercise - 30 miles in 2 & half hours - doesn't require much more than a swig of squash.

Ill give you that, but a little sustenance goes a long way!

I (to me) thrashed out 35 in 1.45 and suddenly I knew I was hungry (and suffered for the last bit home) Ok, you don't need Jeeves to pull up alongside with silver service, but a couple of flapjacks after an hour wouldn't go amiss
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Only ever drink from the downtube, it's much easier to get the bottle out from there. If you are carrying two bidons and you empty the first: swap 'em over.

Bottle, it's a bottle, unless you're French and writing in French.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    This is cycling dude, that makes everyone obliged to be French. Duh!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    MattC59 wrote:

Bottle, it's a bottle, unless you're French and writing in French.

and all distances are measured in kilometers... :mrgreen:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pinkteapot
    Thanks all for calling me a big jessie. :D

I posted a while ago that I'm working up to a 60 mile charity ride in May, and people said I should eat something every hour. Was just going on that advice. :P

And 30 miles in 2.5 hours might not be strenuous for you lot but it still is for me. :?

35 miles tomorrow. Aiming for 2hr 50.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I don't tend to stop when I'm on my own but I do eat. There's nothing actually wrong with eating whilst you're out and it can provide a morale boost - I find a pack of jelly babies in my pocket does the job fine.

Fair enough go on low rations if you are trying to get your body fat sub 10% but if you're just trying to improve your fitness and distance why punish yourself unnecessarily?

Good luck with tomorrow's ride :)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    With the greatest of respect, anything over 2-3 hours riding needs food if you wish to maintain your pace, anything less than that can be managed on just fluids, if you ride without food for longer than that duration and are pushing yourself then you will bonk.

As you get older your thirst is reduced but your body requirements still remain, so force yourself to drink 500-750ml per hour.

Use a Carb drink for distances over 40 miles and that will help to avoid bonking and maintain your energy levels.

Use Bananas, they not only are easy to eat but contain potassium which stops cramp.

Typically for a hard club ride I will carry 2 bananas, a Torq Energy Bar, pack of Shot blocs, this will cover me up to 80 miles and if there is a cafe stop then I bring a few items back with me.

Little and often is the trick, eat before you need it as leaving it too late will cause problems.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    +1 for bananas and also flapjacks, my goto food on the bike.

Much better than filling your body up with energy gels and all that artificial sugars!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875