Mekk 2g Poggio owners

13»

Comments

• mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I havent gotten any conti on mine. I got given 4 new scwalbe race tyres and they roll fast. However also puncture easy too LOL.

So back to the gators. I will buy a pair of the 4000's for the spring.

Agreed on the ROSE bikes, great spec and value for money. But I wasnt sure about the ROSE signage on the bike vs Canyon. But have to go and view both a Rose and Canyon in real life first before commiting.

Also to check geometry too :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    Aloha Mekk Poggio owners...

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the forks are criticized on the Mekk Poggio range?

On Mekk's website they are specced as full carbon forks, "3K full carbon tapered fork", yet I keep reading here and there that the bike is front heavy and the fork is part alloy/aluminum?

Can someone elaborate on that?

Thanks
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    odessouky wrote:
    Aloha Mekk Poggio owners...

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the forks are criticized on the Mekk Poggio range?

On Mekk's website they are specced as full carbon forks, "3K full carbon tapered fork", yet I keep reading here and there that the bike is front heavy and the fork is part alloy/aluminum?

Can someone elaborate on that?

Thanks

The 2012/13 Poggio was a different design. It had a Alu steerer tube on the fork (which isn't unusual). The 2013/14 Poggio is a full tapered Carbon Fork.

The difference is the Alu/Carbon was around 600g and the new Full Carbon <400g in weight. The taper helps with front end stiffness (although that wasn't really needed anyway).
  • odessouky
    So I contacted Wiggle to clarify this matter, and here's the response I got:

"I can confirm that the steerer is made from alloy and the fork blades are carbon."

Is it possible that the sales guy at Wiggle is wrong?

These are 2013 bikes?
  • rickeverett
    odessouky wrote:
    So I contacted Wiggle to clarify this matter, and here's the response I got:

"I can confirm that the steerer is made from alloy and the fork blades are carbon."

Is it possible that the sales guy at Wiggle is wrong?

These are 2013 bikes?

They are incorrect. Or are confusing the spec with the old version. This is the old version...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-45674/

Have a look on mekks website. Its in black and white all the info you need. Full carbon 3K fork.
    http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Mekk-Poggio-15.aspx
  • Jester27
    Jester27 Posts: 29
    My 2012 Poggio still going strong and looking as good as new after 18months and 3000mls.

Since new I have upgraded wheels, tyres, brake pads, cassette and now stem/bars/tape as well as shifters and all cables. Next will be the saddle.

Other than that just regularly cleaned and oiled everything that I can get to without stripping. Everything is still tight, quiet, smooth and friction free but now thinking more fundamental preventative maintenance is a good idea, like BB?, head tube bearings? Any thoughts, suggestions please?

24edbf7ce08adde12fc97d89b67b3953_zps9691ec76.jpg

b143810454f543950685cfe5eada9e19_zpsf950ea81.jpg

06d1308a4055b3ca980402c220ef2f6e_zps977b9db2.jpg
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Are they Chinese carbon bars?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • rickeverett
    Was thinking about some of those bars too but the angle issue always put me off.

looking at the pictures the shifters are pointing downwards way too much. Is that the pics or a set-up issue?
  • Jester27
    Yep the Chinese bars, thought I'd give them a go. Same people I got the wheels from.

You have to be careful choosing the stem length and bar width as they are not adjustable, but you can set the position of the shifters by where you attach them. There is a reinforced section but these are set at the top of that band. The flat area of the grip follows the top of the bars and do drop down but not much. I played with the position before adding the bar tape and get on with this position well. That's just my preference though with my bike frame size etc etc plus I like to lean forward quite a bit to a more aggressive aero position without my arms tucking up under me too much.
  • odessouky
    Jester27 wrote:
    My 2012 Poggio still going strong and looking as good as new after 18months and 3000mls.

Since new I have upgraded wheels, tyres, brake pads, cassette and now stem/bars/tape as well as shifters and all cables. Next will be the saddle.

Other than that just regularly cleaned and oiled everything that I can get to without stripping. Everything is still tight, quiet, smooth and friction free but now thinking more fundamental preventative maintenance is a good idea, like BB?, head tube bearings? Any thoughts, suggestions please?

24edbf7ce08adde12fc97d89b67b3953_zps9691ec76.jpg

b143810454f543950685cfe5eada9e19_zpsf950ea81.jpg

06d1308a4055b3ca980402c220ef2f6e_zps977b9db2.jpg

That looks wicked...!!
    Very jealous..

Mine is looking quite humble....can u plz point me in the direction of those carbon wheels and bars?

IMG_6505.jpg
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Jester27 wrote:
    Yep the Chinese bars, thought I'd give them a go. Same people I got the wheels from.

You have to be careful choosing the stem length and bar width as they are not adjustable, but you can set the position of the shifters by where you attach them. There is a reinforced section but these are set at the top of that band. The flat area of the grip follows the top of the bars and do drop down but not much. I played with the position before adding the bar tape and get on with this position well. That's just my preference though with my bike frame size etc etc plus I like to lean forward quite a bit to a more aggressive aero position without my arms tucking up under me too much.

They are very smart looking, once I've dialled in my measurements I might go for some, they dampen vibrations at all? Or is that negated by them being an integral peice.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Jester27
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the comments.

The wheels and bars were from the same eBay buyer, carbonwheels2011. Great experience and great parts. Wheels are nearly 18 months old, bars I fitted at Christmas. No problems so far. And they do reduce the road buzz, ride really nicely. Used to get aches in my wrist after long rides, don't any more, but that could be subtle position changes etc.

Forgot to mention the KAPZ custom head cap that my brother got me for Christmas. Really finishes it off nicely!!

04E73FAB-8492-4015-9EDF-01E4FA9D1FCB_zps6ifmxx4k.jpg
  • mlgt
    Liking the look of the bars. Real interesting.

Haven't done any changes to my bike apart from change the nearly balding gatorskins which have been on there on some time and changed to gp4000's. Decided to try 25 over 23.

Its definitely more comfy. Rolling faster? I haven't noticed much. But I have been off the bike for 6 weeks with holiday and illness.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    I have decided to purchase a new bike and it is currently being built. It is a canyon to replace the Mekk.

Intend to sell the bike as standard and include the Mavic Ksyrium wheels to go with it. Unsure how much it will fetch but have checked on ebay that there are also a few others for sale and ranging from £500-£900. I would be happy to fetch somewhere in the middle of that as there are many components that have been upgraded from the standard groupset etc.

Hope all the other Mekk owners are still enjoying theirs :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0