Mekk 2g Poggio owners

mlgt
mlgt Posts: 366
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Am tempted to purchase one, but wanted to get some more reviews on current owners.

There are mixed reviews on this bike.

How do you feel towards it? (in terms of cycling, is it comfy? does it leave a grin on your face)
Have you changed anything? (any upgrades worth trying or not trying for that matter)
What to look out for? (anything you have replaced or gone faulty since purchase)

Any comments on the subject is welcome.

Thanks
N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0

Comments

• Jester27
    Jester27 Posts: 29
    Hi mlgt

I've had a 2g Poggio since August 2012. It has had no problems with approx 2000mls under it's belt now.

It rides really well and feels very comfortable even after long distances. The seat fits me fine but you may need to change it depending if it fits you. I've bought a new set of wheels and tyres as this is the best upgrade to carry out first. The frame is beautiful, the group set is mid-range. Great bike for future upgrades.
  • mlgt
    Thanks Jester.

Useful information there.

Im planning to do some 50 milers on it with the charity rides.
    Admit the frame is very lovely to look at and being a carbon bike its a great update for me going from alu.

Agree on the future upgrading. I wont do much with it for now as it will be off the shelf and will need to get used to the bike.

Purchasing it real soon :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Jester27
    No probs! Should be perfect for that use. That's what I do.
    Here's mine with the new wheels. Weighs around 8kg now. (I need to get some better pics I think!)

b8a78cb8b6264fb31e45755847934c24_zpsb20a638d.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Jester27 wrote:
    Here's mine with the new wheels. Weighs around 8kg now. (I need to get some better pics I think!)

b8a78cb8b6264fb31e45755847934c24_zpsb20a638d.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Really nice looking bikes, my LBS just got some in. Seem to offer decent VFM as well. Can't see you going far wrong with one of those.
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    Brilliant bike. Mine came with too long a stem which I quickly changed. 110mm - 90mm. Very easy and comfortable to ride, also found my climbing improved a lot. New carbon wheels on the way for it along with some GP4000s which should make it even better. Frame colours very good and have since seen that it comes in green and blue

Best bit about it, I havent seen any other Mekk bikes on the road so far. Or maybe that is a bad thing but I haven't had any problems so far

Watch out for sizing. The 54cm is slightly bigger than normal, maybe a 55/56 so make sure you try before you buy
  • mlgt
    Yes I have been told that the 54 might be a bit big as the slope rides up.

Did you purchase a new stem or flip it over? I have some spare gatorskins to pop on asap as I love to cycle on London roads (not) but they do last for ages.

I dont think I can afford new carbon wheels for now. Probably later on in the year. Out of curiousity how much did they fetch for?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The reviews of those who have actually ridden the bike are excellent:

Rating: 4.7/5.0
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bik ... sl5-5.html

Some posters on this website have their favourites and there is also the flavour of the month brands like Canyon at present moment in time. Of course there is nothing wrong in this but you have to take some opinions with a pinch of salt as not all posters will have ridden the bike in question or even have ridden the bike they recommend! More importantly its what suits you - if you can try it then the opinion formed by you is by far the the most important.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Very similar looking frameset to my Basso Astra (in terms of tube shape, chainstay curves and overall frame look).

The Basso had it's 1st proper outing on Monday and I have to say it is a lovely ride. 60 miles around Macclesfield in 1dgree and icy wind never felt so good.

If only I had taken time to index the gears 100% after changing wheels and cassette the night before. :oops:

Still I guess what I am getting at is that if the frame is like the Basso then it will be a sublime ride. 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    mlgt wrote:
    Yes I have been told that the 54 might be a bit big as the slope rides up.

Did you purchase a new stem or flip it over? I have some spare gatorskins to pop on asap as I love to cycle on London roads (not) but they do last for ages.

I dont think I can afford new carbon wheels for now. Probably later on in the year. Out of curiousity how much did they fetch for?

I purchased a new Deda stem - 90mm, made the ride, for me, much better on my back

The wheels are coming from China, purchased for £295 and from the reviews, they last!
  • mlgt
    I picked up the bike last night. It was a 52 frame and it came with half mtb/half clip pedals.

Was fully serviced before my purchase (second hand bike from friend) and cycled into work this morning.

One thing I noticed was that I found the seat pointed upwards slightly. Will take some time to get used to, but its this the design or can this be altered?

Reason I ask is because I have gone from a bianchi c2c series to this so it is more sporty and I have to learn about the bike more when I cycle with it.

Apart from that, the cycle to work seemed effortless due to the weight and geometry difference (or maybe I was just cycling faster?)

Wasnt that impressed with the clicking noise and didnt coast as far as my campag wheels but it did absorb more shocks from the terrible London roads.

Am interested in getting new wheels for the summer though :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Saddle position will be adjustable
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mlgt
    Cheers. Was lazy and didnt ajust. Will give it a go on my way home :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    Update

Ive ridden the bike everyday since purchasing.

Its a nice ride, and I have adjusted the bars and seats to suit my riding stance and for comfort.
    Last night on my commute home one of the rear brake pads just came off. Leaving me using the back brake for a split second and causing it to scratch the rear wheel area.

I looked and wasnt too much damage, but has this happened to you before?
    Either way I will look to replace it now. But have you any suggestions or preferences? I know the swisstops and Kool stop get alot of mentions.

Also on another note, I notice that there is a clicking noise when I start my cycling, ie when I am at lights and take off there is some slight clicking noise. Perhaps the stem area hasnt been fully tightened?

A bit of a worry and I think I should ideally bring it to the local shop for a check up.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • heneghj
    heneghj Posts: 29
    I have the Mekk 2.5 Poggio.

I actually swapped my car for it with Wiggle last year, you may have heard about it.

But I absolutely love it. Great bike really smooth. Only criticism is the white bar tape doesnt stay white for long, which is easily solved.
  • I have the same bike. I am very pleased with it. The clicking noise may be a number of things but on mine i needed to adjust the low adjustment on rear mech as soon as i got it as it was rubbing on the spokes slightly in largest cog on cassette when under load. Only criticisms are...unbranded brake calipers are woeful although may have more to do with terrible break blocks...changed calipers to 105s which transformed the breaking. Tyres kenda kampaigns are basic and have replaced with gp4000s...much better ride and cornering. Got it from wiggle for 833 pounds which is gr
    eat value.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I also have the same bike which I purchased last August and love it, although in saying that I haven't got anything to compare it with!

Recently upgraded to GP4000S tyres and also the groupset to Ultegra 6700 - looking at wheels around £500 - £600 mark so would be interested in what fellow Mekk'ies have.
  • kahunajb
    kahunajb Posts: 26
    I have never seen a bad review on this bike. I've had mine since last October and only things I've changed are the tyres to gp4000s and the brakes to 105 which were big improvement in both performance and looks over the standard ones. I have got a pair of campag zonda wheels which I got cheap but not got round to fitting them yet.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've had my 2.5 Ultegra since last November; done about 1800k on it so far. I think they're lovely bikes, and they upgrade very well - mine's at 7.3kg in Sunday best, with pedals and cages. You can't fault the value, but the finishing kit is a bit basic - bottom end Ritchey bars, stem and post, and very basic ICE brakes. The wheels are heavy, too.

They're often heavily discounted at Wiggle. I paid £960 for mine, which still seems like value even though all I have left on the bike as delivered is the frame, forks, headset, rear mech, shifters, cables and seat clamp. If you do buy from Wiggle, I'd strongly suggest either taking it apart and rebuilding it yourself, or getting a friendly mechanic to do it for you. When I got mine, the NDS crank was half-way off, the gears weren't indexed properly and the front mech was way too high up the seat-tube.

Best uprade in terms of feel was a set of Ksyrium Elites for day-to-day use, and a set of R-Sys SLRs for best (very secondhand - new they'd cost considerably more than the bike!).

The 2013 bike looks to have a full carbon fork; the 2012 has an alloy steerer. I think the new frame also has full internal routing; only the rear brake cable is internal on the 2012.
  • 've had my 2.5 Ultegra since last November; done about 1800k on it so far. I think they're lovely bikes, and they upgrade very well - mine's at 7.3kg in Sunday best, with pedals and cages. You can't fault the value, but the finishing kit is a bit basic - bottom end Ritchey bars, stem and post, and very basic ICE brakes. The wheels are heavy, too.

Sorry I know this is an old post but what do these bikes weight in size 56cms does Anyone know? What size is the one above?
  • 964cup
    Mine's a 56. Out of the box they're a little under 9kg for the Ultegra. A lot of that is the wheelset. That's for a 2012. The 2013 is a different spec.
  • Jester27
    To answer the question above, it's now 8kg, but it's only a 52cm size. Can't imagine a 56 would weigh much more?

As I say, I changed the wheels for carbon clinchers and light tyres & tubes which is the biggest bang for the buck.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I know i'm late to the party, but I have had my MEKK for 6 months now after initially buying it as a stop-gap bike. However in that time I have used it as a Summer Bike and I LOVE IT!. Naturally I was concerned - new brand, not a lot of reviews etc etc....

However I got mine from Wiggle for ... wait ... £750! ! !. They were on offer as they were coming to the end of the line + I got another 10% off with a discount code.
    I used the money to do a few upgrades: Black Bar Tape (White got dirty in no time), 105 Shifters and Front Derailleur to match rear, Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels (of another bike), Rubino Pro Tyres and a Selle Italia Saddle. Also put some Lifeline brake carts in with removable pads for the future that has improved braking.

I'm not bothered about weight but it comes in at 8kg for a 54cm. Still a fair weight in the wheels as my Fulcrums are on the heavy side at something like 1.7kg. + Most of the kit is metal.

But in all seriousness it rides flawlessly. I cant believe how good a sportive it is for the price I paid. MEKK will hopefully go far. Heres some pics...

MEKK_1.jpg

MEKK_2.jpg

Also noticed when taking out the Chainset and BB the other day that the ICE Chainset on these MEKK Bikes are almost identical to FSA kit. I guess its just rebranded stuff from the same factory as a lot of in-house stuff is ??
  • 964cup
    I think it's a rebranded Gossamer; may be an Energy on the higher-end gruppos (it was an FSA-badged Energy on my 2012 Ultegra). I agree about the quality; I'm up to about 2200 km on mine (although I now have an R3 for "best") and I'm still enjoying it. It's not got the ride comfort of the R3, but it's not otherwise shamed by the comparison. It does respond very well to upgrades, too, although the heavy fork is the ultimate limiting factor there. The one thing I would criticise is the (unbranded) Tektro or Ice brakes; they're not good. The difference with a set of Ultegras is night and day.
  • rickeverett
    964Cup wrote:
    I think it's a rebranded Gossamer; may be an Energy on the higher-end gruppos (it was an FSA-badged Energy on my 2012 Ultegra). I agree about the quality; I'm up to about 2200 km on mine (although I now have an R3 for "best") and I'm still enjoying it. It's not got the ride comfort of the R3, but it's not otherwise shamed by the comparison. It does respond very well to upgrades, too, although the heavy fork is the ultimate limiting factor there. The one thing I would criticise is the (unbranded) Tektro or Ice brakes; they're not good. The difference with a set of Ultegras is night and day.

Yes its very much like Gossamer. Coupled with my 105 shifters brakes have become a little worse however. I have been looking at the PLANET X CNC Brakes that are not only very light at 200g for the pair, but have had lots of good reviews. If not a set of 105 Calipers or Ultegras might bee needed. :cry:

Forks are around the 600g mark. You can get 3T's or again Planet X Forks for 350-375g that are full carbon. The rigidity of the MEKK forks however is immense.
  • 964cup
    I have a set of the Planet X CNCs which I was going to put up for sale when I get back to the UK next week. They are as light as advertised. But I've replaced them with Ultegras. Read into that what you will.

I gave up weight-weenie-ing the Mekk once I got it down to 7.5kg with pedals and cages. Law of diminishing returns. In fact I had it at just over 7.3kg but ended up putting some weight back with a brake change and swapping the best pedals to my R3. 3T Fundas are probably the right fork choice if you really want to go light - options are limited due to the slightly unusual taper.

The biggest gains, though, were wheelset, skewers and saddle.
  • rickeverett
    964Cup wrote:
    I have a set of the Planet X CNCs which I was going to put up for sale when I get back to the UK next week. They are as light as advertised. But I've replaced them with Ultegras. Read into that what you will.

I gave up weight-weenie-ing the Mekk once I got it down to 7.5kg with pedals and cages. Law of diminishing returns. In fact I had it at just over 7.3kg but ended up putting some weight back with a brake change and swapping the best pedals to my R3. 3T Fundas are probably the right fork choice if you really want to go light - options are limited due to the slightly unusual taper.

The biggest gains, though, were wheelset, skewers and saddle.

Out of interest how do the Planet X CNCs compare against the Ultegras and the Original brakes 1 being Originals and 10 Ultegras ?

Saying that a set of new 105 or Ultegras that match the new ratio of the 105 shifters might be the best option even if they are weighty.

What wheelset is it on your MEKK ?
  • 964cup
    The Planet-X are no better than 3, and this is the extra-cost koolstop version.

I have Mavic R-Sys on my Mekk.
  • rickeverett
    964Cup wrote:
    The Planet-X are no better than 3, and this is the extra-cost koolstop version.

I have Mavic R-Sys on my Mekk.

Thanks, Looks like Ultegra may be a better option in he future.
  • 964cup
    I may be going Dura-Ace on my R3; in which case I'll have a set of Ultegras for sale. I'll let you know if I do.