Retract friction wheel on turbo after use?

lotus49
lotus49 Posts: 763
Should I retract the friction wheel on my turbo after use each time?

Recently I have been using my turbo about every other day and only going out at the weekend due to work commitments. Will I damage the tyre by leaving the friction wheel pressed against the tyre for a couple of days? When I have done this I can see a depression on the tyre but it seems to have gone by the time I have finished training.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    leave it where it is It will be fine
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    i'm not so sure. after use the friction will be very hot and this will affect the tyres lifespan. it doesn't matter so much if you use a dedicated turbo tyre. the depression mark is unimportant for sure.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    It's best to use a different tyre for the turbo and the road, with that in mind, it doesn't really matter if you leave it in, the only reason you can retract it is to put the bike on and off the turbo anyway
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I still have the original rather poor Giant tyres on my bike so I'm happy to wear out the rear one. I do think I'll get a turbo specific tyre when I upgrade the tyres but I'll have to get another wheel and cassette as well; there is no way I could be bothered to swap tyres every time I wanted to go from road to turbo or vice versa.