Flat pedal recommendations.

2»

Comments

• kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    kammybear wrote:
    The saints are heavy but IMO really look and feel like a top quality part, like they belong on a £3000 bike.
    At half a kilo they really don't. And since when do looks make a pedal? They spend most of their time underneath your feet...

Glad you like yours though.

Oh come on! Clearly pedals are heavily influenced by the bling factor. The Saints have a precision tool look to them. They are 500g but I'm not going to quible over 100-150g as long as they are tough and can take a beating!
  • MTB13
    MTB13 Posts: 29
    Superstars for me for reasons others have mentioned
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Shimano normally (recent XTRs aside) make pedals that last forever. And the Saints are designed to take an absolute pasting. But the thing is, the Nanos are no shrinking violets so it's not like you're choosing between durable and delicate. I don't think I'd buy the Saints personally.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Neither would I, not at 500g.
  • Northwind
    To be fair, the equivalent steel/alu Nanos are about 460g so it's not a huge difference. Full bearings instead of the bushing in the Nanos, which should help lifespan but also helps keep things tight- the Nanos have a bit of twist in them, or at least all of mine do. Adds a bit of weight that. Saints are thicker but more concave, I like thin pedals but there's a case for both.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I use On-One Thinny's on the DH bike (think they also come under various different guises) they are excellent, thin, light, strong and extremely grippy

IMAG0183.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...think they're rebranded versions of the AE01's on this page;

http://www.ht-components.com/ht_portal/product/list?cname=pedal&cname2=dh%2Ffr%2F4x&productCname=EVO

quoted at 358g a pair. Good pedal. Got mine half price for £40 from On-One but believe they have discontinued them now

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Also available with an extra hole in as Da Bomb Somethingorothers. One of mine's very stiff and the other is a bit rattly now, time for a service which is really pretty premature. But might just need a tweak.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    indeed they are;

Dam Bomb Bare Bones
    69871.jpg

Tbh - mine have always been fairly stiff but I like them like that

Trek Session 8
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've run nano's / exotics for years now with no issues whatsoever, great pedals. One set I have on my trail bike (most used) I bought second hand 4 years ago and they still run like a new pair.

I recently bought some nukeproof electrons, was a bit dubious but thought i'd give them a try. They are fantastic too. Slightly, ever so slightly less grip than the nano's, but more grip than you ever need and they are proving to be very durable. Bargain at £30 for a pair of 340gm pedals.

If my nano's ever do die and assuming the electrons are still going strong, that's what they'd be replaced with.
  • Northwind
    Righto, as it happens I had to service my AE01s last night, and in conclusion, they are a bit ****. The main pedal support is all bushings, which isn't too bad but they don't seem easy to replace like with Nanos. Sealing is poor though.

But the real problem's the outboard bearing on the end- it's tiny and it's not sealed. The bearings are the smallest I've seen in any bike application and are in a delicate plastic cage so not really servicable. I was able to get mine back together but it was more luck than judgement. If I can source replacments I'll be happier as they're disposable items. Oh, and all the pins had come loose.

So all in all, unrecommendable :( Which is a real shame as they're good to ride on. I was toying with the idea of ordering in a stack to sell, but won't be now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That's the sort of feedback that's really needed. Nice one Northwind.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Lightweight and not that grippy and they break
    P1010807_zps18227362.jpg

Heavier but since I'm running the light weight versions on my 160 bike and haven't managed any damage yet and grippy as I've come across try these
    P1010812_zps9804bad4.jpg
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Happy with my nano's, same can't be said for my shins when i have a sloppy moment :lol:
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    Happy with my nano's, same can't be said for my shins when i have a sloppy moment :lol:

^ THIS!