Flat pedal recommendations.

Trikeman
Trikeman Posts: 151
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi All,
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (2008 Pro) which has the standard goldish flat pedals which are getting old, are heavy (for flats) and I want a change.
Any recommendations for a set of very light flats with pins and which last well and can take the mud?????? and if possible something I don't have to sell a kidney to pay for. :oops:

A mate has a set of SARS, but can't seem to get them now.

As always, any recommendations greatly received.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
Sabbath September Ti.
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Superstar Pedals.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I didn't think there was much difference in grip between the MG1 and Nano, but found the MG1 to be a little more fragile (for a rock-bashing lump like myself). There's also stuff like the Outland CNC, which offers less grip, but less weight too (and still not as soft as the MG1). It's also got a convex body, which is quite Marmite. Out of those three, I can't see myself changing from Nanos for now: strong, cheap and light-ish.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Exotic do Nanos but cheaper.
  • bennett_346
    My nanos have lasted a lifetime, and been to hell and back.

I've still never opened them once in 4 years.

Oh and they're bling too ;)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Nanos or MG1s... MG1s are lighter and cheaper, but for me the Nanos are a better platform.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MG1's FWIW.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    As others have said, Superstar nano thrus. Not necessarily super light, but available in loads of colours, super cheap and pretty much bomb proof. I've had mine on for a good couple of years and thrashed the hell out of them in all conditions. They've smashed rocks trees and shins and are still spinning perfectly, despite most of the anodising getting more or less worn off and a few chunks of metal missing.
  • DRM V8 i got some from leisure lakes, £25 quid not the lightest but very grippy! :)
    road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
    xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DRM V8 i got some from leisure lakes, £25 quid not the lightest but very grippy! :)
    Or Wellgo V8 copies for half that - Wellgo make DMR.
    But they are small and not very good anymore. BITD maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Another vote for Nano's , but Superstar were out of stock on nearly every colour the last time I looked, so I bought sme from carboncycles which are exactly the same but a few quid cheaper - so long as you don't mind black
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Another vote for Nano's , but Superstar were out of stock on nearly every colour the last time I looked, so I bought sme from carboncycles which are exactly the same but a few quid cheaper - so long as you don't mind black
    They do colours now.
  • Trikeman
    Trikeman Posts: 151
    Hi All,
    many thanks for the recommendations - pedals, simple things but very confusing to start when I'm after light and strong ones.
    I will start the hunt today based on your suggestions.
    :D
    Thanks.

Trikeman. :wink:
    With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
    Sabbath September Ti.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    Nukeproof Electrons

Great pedals, bashed them around loads over the last year and they still work as well as when i fitted them. Dont let the ABS Plastic / Nylon (i think) fool you...those things are grippy in all weather and light. (338g a pair)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have Wellgo MG1's and Superstar Nano's. The Wellgo's went on the wife's bike after a few rides, nowhere near as grippy as the Nano's and the platform doesn't feel as good. DMR V8's just aren't very good, V12's are ok but not as good as Nano's.
    I have also ridden Spank Spike & Shimano Saint pedals which are both better than the Nano's but quite expensive.
    There are other manufacturers like Exotic selling the Nano under a different name, some are cheaper.
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    DMR Vaults
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nanos (of various persuasions) and MG1s here, both very good. Prefer the nanos for actually riding on but you need to spend an awful lot more to get the weight the same, and the magnesium bodied nanos shed pins like nothing else I've used.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I have the Superstar Nano and more recently Shimano Saint. Can't really say I prefer one or the other yet, they're both great. The Saints look a tad fancier but also a tad thicker.

Saints are available for £45 delivered so they're not bad on price.
  • When I first got V8's I was suitable impressed. But then I had some very basic pedals to begin with - in fact I could've made better ones myself ;) now though, I'm going to make the change as the V8 has a tight platform and minimal grip vs my mates carbon cycles Nano copies.

So I think a set of superstar Nano's are on the cards next payday - tech or thru pin?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    +1 for Superstars. Nice and low cost for replacing too so never have to worry about bashing them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm going to make the change as the V8 has a tight platform and minimal grip vs my mates carbon cycles Nano copies.

They aren't copies. Superstar, Carbon Cycles and others just buy the pedals and add their own branding. I think they were originally Kona Wah Wah's
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    MG1 on my previous bike seemed great. I had grey but I don't think the coloured ones last long before getting battered?

Now have Saints. 6 months later they still look pretty good! Very tough and great build quality! £35 of ribble! :mrgreen:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, painted pedals will always look rough quickly, the Saints have that sorted.

Oh aye- I got some HT AE-01s, now these are nice pedals. Super-thin, light (but still steel and aluminium so tougher than most things at this weight), grippy... Remains to be seen how they last, they feel tighter than Nanos from new. Not the biggest platform, mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I'm going to make the change as the V8 has a tight platform and minimal grip vs my mates carbon cycles Nano copies.

They aren't copies. Superstar, Carbon Cycles and others just buy the pedals and add their own branding. I think they were originally Kona Wah Wah's

Agreed, Superstars are just re-branded generic pedals coming out the same factory.

I 've just got the Shimano Saints circa £45 at the usual suspects.They make my superstars look like something knocked up by a CNC beginner.
  • bennett_346
    The saints are heavier and imo look gopping. Much more expensive for what they are.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    The saints are heavy but IMO really look and feel like a top quality part, like they belong on a £3000 bike. They have a high tech look to them that so many pedals lack.

They are The Terminator of pedals. From the future to fuck your shit up. Don't think I'll bother with another pedal again! Love mine!
  • bennett_346
    kammybear wrote:
    The saints are heavy but IMO really look and feel like a top quality part, like they belong on a £3000 bike.
    At half a kilo they really don't. And since when do looks make a pedal? They spend most of their time underneath your feet...

Glad you like yours though.
  • spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    Superstars are great flats for the money - definitely recommend. But for more cash DMR Vaults would be my choice.
  • I hang my hat on nukeproof for value £30 I think, and light.
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    I hang my hat on nukeproof for value £30 I think, and light.

I second that .... fit and forget, would probably want slightly longer pins if i was being picky. The yellow goes great with my yellow meta though.... :P