Training for flat course in a hilly area.

JONESY99900
JONESY99900 Posts: 2
Hello!

I am a newcomer to cycling with a good basic fitness level from rugby and running, but have recently acquired a roadbike and signed up to do the etape mercia in August. Having looked at the course profile for the event, it seems that the course is pretty flat with only a few small hills. I live in Monmouth which is in a very beautiful but hilly part of the country. I am hoping to complete the etape in under 4hours 30 (its 69 miles). A 2hr 30min ride this weekend had a higher total ascent (2500ft as opposed to 2000ft) for the whole etape in just 28.5 miles. It is pretty much impossible to do a long ride around here without taking in a good number of significant hills.

I am not averse to hard work and pushing myself, but 4hours 30 in the hills is significantly more effort than doing the same time on the flat. How should I gauge the amount of training that I am doing so that I am prepared adequately for the event without over doing it? How can I prepare for a longer time in the saddle without burning myself out climbing?

Thank you in advance for any tips on this subject and another other ideas would be gratefully received as well.

Cheers

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Go slower on the climbs and pedal down the hills?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fine, what are you worrying about?
    Its not a race and if you can get up long hilly routes feeling strong you are probably already in top 10% of sportive riders.

For me doing annual charity club run - Rourkies - I manage it well under 3 hours for the 55 miles or so, but have no idea of ascent etc
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    I am not averse to hard work and pushing myself, but 4hours 30 in the hills is significantly more effort than doing the same time on the flat.
    Hmm, I think you'll find 4.5 hours of flat could be a very draining experience if you're used to the changes of pace forced on you by hilly terrain. I'll admit that where I ride there isn't really any flat stuff at all of any length, so it's difficult to train for a very long constant effort. But I'll also admit that after a while of enjoying riding on flat roads in another area of the country, the novelty can wear off after an hour or so, and I start wishing there were some hills around.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Not really sure quite what you're wanting people to say, you might be overcomplicating it (seems pretty common on here). I'd make sure your body is used to doing 4 hour rides. Unless you intend to move house then just do the hilly rides, you're still doing the work so you'll you should be less knackered towards the end. As it's your first event I'd just do it and see how you go.

Surely the main purpose of a sportive is to complete (and enjoy?) the ride rather than just get it done within an arbitary time. If you're into target times then perhaps you'd like doing a time trial.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Grew up in the area & still have family there & know what you mean about it but you can easily get out onto rolling hills and not massive ones.

Just avoids routes that take you out to the forest of dean is all as you will be up/down quite a lot. So not really north east is all.

But there are loads of good roads out that way. Monmouth to chepstow along the valley. Monmouth to rock field & out on maypole road. Monmouth the Hendre & onto Abber. Monmouth Raglan to Usk.

Lots of good routes out that way that are rolling rather that up down hilly.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I am not averse to hard work and pushing myself, but 4hours 30 in the hills is significantly more effort than doing the same time on the flat.
    Hmm, I think you'll find 4.5 hours of flat could be a very draining experience if you're used to the changes of pace forced on you by hilly terrain. I'll admit that where I ride there isn't really any flat stuff at all of any length, so it's difficult to train for a very long constant effort. But I'll also admit that after a while of enjoying riding on flat roads in another area of the country, the novelty can wear off after an hour or so, and I start wishing there were some hills around.

Im from Somerset but go to uni in Leicester, I find a hard and fast flat 70mile club run with the fast group at uni to be more tiring than a 70 mile ride on Exmoor.

In general though as long as you're used to doing the time in the saddle/mileage I don't think you'll have any problems with the sportive. Also if you can get into a group that's riding at an appropriate pace it'll be much easier to ride a bit quicker.