Why are Trek bikes not very popular?

greggbaker
greggbaker Posts: 55
edited April 2013 in Road general
Recently bought a Trek Madone 2.3 and I'm delighted with it so answers won't really change my mind but having seen a comment on another thread that Trek bikes are "overpriced" it got me wondering. Are they not liked much due to cheating scumbag Lance Armstrong or do people not really like their bikes? Or could it be that they don't give free bikes to magazines doing "unbiased" reviews and therefore don't get the same write-up if any!!! :wink:

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    There are a few brands I would not go near simply because of the number of them on the road and wanting to be a bit unique. Trek has the added bonus of having been affiliated with LA and those 2 reasons mean I stay well away from the brand.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You sure about that?
    representation.jpg
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    You sure about that?
    representation.jpg
    ???
  • Grill
    Really? I've given you a picture and now I have to explain it? Seriously?
  • goonz
    Out of interest who the hell are Redline?
  • Again I have seen the comment that they are "so common on the road" on this forum a number of times but just don't see many around at all. Loads of Cannondales and Specialized and even BTwins even but very few Treks.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    goonz wrote:
    Redline....They make very good BMX's and Cruisers. I had a Redline bmx back in the 80s.

That Pie Chart is just for the USA aint it !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • I was aware of this opinion of the Trek brand as well, however it did not stop me buying a 2013 Madone 4.5. There were a few reasons for this. Firstly its what my lbs mostly stock and I wanted to support them and being the first road bike I have purchased in 20 years wanted to make sure I had somewhere to go back to if there were any issues so online not an option for me at this stage. Also, its a superb bike and looks great IMO. I've also not seen that many Treks when I've been out and about, its mostly spesh or giants.

To be honest I think the current stigma is unfair and wouldn't hesitate in buying another.
  • Grill
    I see loads of Trek. Just as many as Giant and Spec. Just because you don't run across them doesn't mean they're not there.

Redline do BMX bikes.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    goonz wrote:

I used to have a Redline BMX as a kid
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I don't dislike Trek bikes, quite the opposite but the LA link would put me off buying one at the moment. But what I don't get is this popularity, seeing loads out on the road thing. I pass quite a few people out on my bike going the other way and its very rare that I even take a look at what they are riding, too busy getting on with my own ride. (I always wave though). I guess if you are part of a big club or stop at places that other riders gather then it could be something to think about. For me personally its not.
  • goonz
    2 out of 6 users on this thread have a trek, says it all really.
  • Grill wrote:
    I see loads of Trek. Just as many as Giant and Spec. Just because you don't run across them doesn't mean they're not there.

Redline do BMX bikes.
    Didn't see the camouflage option when I got mine lol
    Must be more popular in Cardiff than in SW London
  • goonz wrote:
    Well Grill has got about 9 bikes and none of them are Trek! :wink:
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Treks are VERY popular OP. Up there with the likes of Giant and Specialized for Vauxhall like regularity. The reason I wouldn't own one is because I like to stand out from the crowd and ride something your not likely to see in the UK. Like all manufacturers their top end stuff is sweet but well...common.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Grill
    greggbaker wrote:
    goonz wrote:

But I had one.
  • Grill wrote:
    greggbaker wrote:
    goonz wrote:

But I had one.
    You're not helping
  • Lance wasn't the only cheat to ride a Trek; don't forget Contador. ;)
  • Lance wasn't the only cheat to ride a Trek; don't forget Contador. ;)
    True but I couldn't afford the Pinarello Dogma!!! :wink:
  • I have a Trek and I love it, I had a trek before that and a Bianchi and cannondale and not much different in the bikes if you buy all around the same price range. I am looking at a felt for next year and I couldn't care what link LA or what opinions people had about a bike if I like it I will ride it. Sounds like school kids on here half the time people not buying something because it's generic. wtf does that have to do with the mechanics.

If someone doesn't like a bike for mechanical purposes or aesthetics then sure thats reasonable but to just hate on a brand because it has a large share of the market is idiotic go get your own mind and stop trying to be mr anarchy who stands alone like the lone wolf lmao. All gear no idea :mrgreen:
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Good points. Why do people get snooty about brands and having something with a rareity factor? Do these "rare" brands have as good a warranty on their frames as Trek, Giant or Cannondale I wonder? Personally I couldn't care less if my Giant is cool or not. Just get out there and ride ffs! Trek, Giant et al are the most popular because they manufacture good products (well, have them manufactured on their behalf in Trek's case) at a price people can afford. I would love a Parlee custom build for instance but not for £12k!!! I don't think it would be 12 times better than my Giant though or make mw any faster for that matter.
  • Specialized 9.5% ???????? half of the bikes i see are specialized. saw a pack of 12 riders today both male and female and they were all on a specialized! even i found that weird! they must be part of the fan club, weird people!
  • Grill
    Keep in mind that's worldwide. If you break it down by markets it does change, although Giant, Specialized, and Trek are almost always top 3.
  • goonz
    ill bet your bikes alone has put Scott a very close 4th! :D
  • Grill
    I wouldn't doubt it! The Scotts will have to do until I can afford Storcks ;)
  • goonz
    When you can I'll more than gladly take one or two of your Scotts off your hands.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Specialized 9.5% ???????? half of the bikes i see are specialized. saw a pack of 12 riders today both male and female and they were all on a specialized! even i found that weird! they must be part of the fan club, weird people!

Agree, reckon at least 40% are Spesh.

Do people really not buy Trek because of LA???? Look at the history books, avoiding doppers rides leave you walking....
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Stueys wrote:
    Specialized 9.5% ???????? half of the bikes i see are specialized. saw a pack of 12 riders today both male and female and they were all on a specialized! even i found that weird! they must be part of the fan club, weird people!

Do people really not buy Trek because of LA???? Look at the history books, avoiding doppers rides leave you walking....

I'm not convinced people boycott Trek due to LA ??????

So chaps ...

Anyone like to compile a list of "Clean" bikes for the morally outraged to purchase? :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Ozzysbeard wrote:
    To be honest I think the current stigma is unfair and wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

Nothing unfair about it, Trek knew what was going on with Pharmstrong and still carried on being associated with him.

Lie down with dogs, get fleas.
  • Grill
    Stueys wrote:

As I said, those are worldwide figures and breakdown by individual markets varies.

Trek sold a lot of bikes due to their sponsorship of LA, so any sales they lose aren't so much due to ill will of their relationship, but more because they no longer sponsor the top athlete in the sport (Cancellara doesn't quite have the same name recognition).