How do you pronounce cadence?

2»

Comments

• mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    Time for a thread on how to say derailleur?
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    It's a product of the interwebs age, where we do a lot of research online. In ye good olde days research was primarily through talking to people in the LBS or cycling club. Talking and therefore hearing words said.

I've regularly had times where I realise I'm mispronouncing a word (after hearing someone say it) because I've only ever read it, rather than hearing it.

Good for the OP for asking.

And how do you say derailleur? I'd go with "dee-rail-er" but I've never heard it said...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    mhj999 wrote:

'Mek'
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BigDaddyG
    BigDaddyG Posts: 63
    DesWeller wrote:
    mhj999 wrote:

'Mek'

Why Mek?? :wink::wink:

dee - rail - i - er - is that not right??
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BigDaddyG wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    mhj999 wrote:

'Mek'

Why Mek?? :wink::wink:

dee - rail - i - er - is that not right??

gears.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • giant man wrote:
    why? are people actually stupid?
    Something that actually is stupid, is confusing not knowing something (no matter how unusual it might be not to know it) with being stupid.

I sure hope you're not a teacher. The musical term is cadenza, by the way - there's no English word cadentia.

However there are many english words for vagina. Im reminded of a few of them by the person you quoted.

I pronounce cadence as "ka-dence" and not "kay-dence". I would imagine both are acceptable and I certainly wouldnt be pedantic* enough to bother thinking otherwise.

*Another type of person which encourages vaginal terminology
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    giant man wrote:
    why? are people actually stupid?

seriously, how hard can it be. No I don't respect the OP, cos it's a foolish question to ask, cos its definitely one of the easier cycling terms to pronounce. The english spelling has no accents or circumflex on any of the characters, so where is the problem here. The musical term is cadentia derived from the latin name, but that's not what we're talking about.
    The musical term is cadenza not cadentia. If you are going to be rude (and it would be preferable if you were not), at least be accurately rude. Furthermore, English pronunciation doesn't rely on accents and is highly irregular so you need to know how to pronounce a word. The verb "present" is pronounced differently to the noun "present". The spelling alone is not enough to know how to pronounce an English word.

What possible purpose does it serve to abuse complete strangers for no reason? If you haven't anything useful to contribute why not look for a post where you can make a useful contribution?