How do you pronounce cadence?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Kay-dense - sounds very American, or Ca-dense?
I've always avoided it in cycling conversation in case I get it wrong lol

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ka-denché, it's Italian.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    WOW thread.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Kaa-deens; don't ask.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Well that's that cleared up then!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sean Kelly is the man to see for pronounciation of cycling terms. I'm tempted to get Carlton Kirby to ask him to say 'Irish Wristwatch' during one of their TdF chats.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Arrr Peee Emmm.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Jesus. If anyone says "Ca-dense" to me I may very well fall off my bike laughing.

I have a friend that pronounces "cache" as kay-che. Makes me want to smack him in the mouth.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • greensum
    greensum Posts: 59
    KAY Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) :roll:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Grill wrote:
    I have a friend that pronounces "cache" as kay-che. Makes me want to smack him in the mouth.
    I would. No one that knows what a cache is, should be allowed to pronounce it 'kaysh', and be allowed to live.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Grill wrote:
    I would. No one that knows what a cache is, should be allowed to pronounce it 'kaysh', and be allowed to live.

Seriously? If they don't know what it is why are they using the word in the first place? I don't understand why people choose to stay ignorant when it's so easy to educate yourself...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    cadência :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Chardenker, everybody knows that.
  • no idea but i say "kay-dense" dunno if its right or wrong but that works for me lol
  • team47b
    no idea but i say "kay-dense" dunno if its right or wrong but that works for me lol

yep, correct english pronunciation :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    why is this being questioned? It's hardly hard to pronounce ...
  • chrisaonabike
    giant man wrote:
    why is this being questioned? It's hardly hard to pronounce ...
    So because you know, that makes it wrong for someone else to ask?

It's not as stupid a question as some seem to think.

So for sure, cadence in English is pronounced with a long 'a' (as in kay), and emphasis on the first syllable. Other two syllable words with similar pronunciation would be prudence or credence.

However, it's related to the word cadenza (an unaccompanied, and historically improvised, section in a concerto played by the soloist). Cadenza is pronounced with a short 'a', and the emphasis on the second syllable (so, kuh-den-za, not kay-den-za).

The trouble with English is that the pronunciation and spelling rules have a lot of exceptions. Respect to the OP for having the guts to ask.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    why? are people actually stupid?

seriously, how hard can it be. No I don't respect the OP, cos it's a foolish question to ask, cos its definitely one of the easier cycling terms to pronounce. The english spelling has no accents or circumflex on any of the characters, so where is the problem here. The musical term is cadentia derived from the latin name, but that's not what we're talking about.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    giant man wrote:

seriously, how hard can it be. No I don't respect the OP, cos it's a foolish question to ask, cos its definitely one of the easier cycling terms to pronounce. The english spelling has no accents or circumflex on any of the characters, so where is the problem here. The musical term is cadentia derived from the latin name, but that's not what we're talking about.

Jeeze, chill. I'm sure you love it up there but please take your head out of your anus.
  • chrisaonabike
    giant man wrote:
    Something that actually is stupid, is confusing not knowing something (no matter how unusual it might be not to know it) with being stupid.

I sure hope you're not a teacher. The musical term is cadenza, by the way - there's no English word cadentia.
  • giant man wrote:

The only thing stupid on this thread is the way you are reacting to the question. If you know then good for you, ignore and carry on but no you have to become abusive. It's in the beginner's section so maybe think a little before having a pop. I really hope you are as your name suggests a giant man because with your attitude I'd be surprised if you're not put on your backside quite regularly. Have a lovely Easter. Xx
  • team47b
    giant man wrote:
    The english spelling has no accents or circumflex on any of the characters, so where is the problem here.

Accents are there to tell you where precisely to put the emphasis, so it would in fact be easier to know how to pronounce if there were accents not more difficult as you suggest.

This is why English pronunciation has to be learnt and why people have to ask for guidance.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Or look in the dictionary.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    giant man wrote:

Clearly it is hard or the question would not have been asked?

Plus whilst you are I assume English & this is your first language it could well be that the OP is not and English might therefore be a first language.

There are several words that people, myself included, either currently do not know how to pronounce, or may well be unsure of;
    Nike - with or without the E on end
    Porche - as above
    Siobhan - as a name I struggled with this
    Gaspare - my Scillian colleagues name that people often ask for Mr.G.A.Spare without knowing its all one "Gas Par E"

Not all people are made the same & thats why in the beginners section people are encouraged to ask questions no matter how silly others find them.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    giant man wrote:

Clearly it is hard or the question would not have been asked?

Plus whilst you are I assume English & this is your first language it could well be that the OP is not and English might therefore be a first language.

There are several words that people, myself included, either currently do not know how to pronounce, or may well be unsure of;
    Nike - with or without the E on end
    Porche - as above
    Siobhan - as a name I struggled with this
    Gaspare - my Scillian colleagues name that people often ask for Mr.G.A.Spare without knowing its all one "Gas Par E"

Not all people are made the same & thats why in the beginners section people are encouraged to ask questions no matter how silly others find them.

I pronounce Nike as if it rhymes with 'Dyke'.
    Porsche as 'Porsh'.
    Siobhan as 'Shivvon'.

I have no idea whether or not my pronunciations of Nike and Porsche are correct, but that's the way I like to say them. Same with Peugeot, which I pronounce 'Purr - show' (nearest word I could find :P ).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    declan1 wrote:
    Porsche as 'Porsh'.
    Siobhan as 'Shivvon'.

I have no idea whether or not my pronunciations of Nike and Porsche are correct, but that's the way I like to say them. Same with Peugeot, which I pronounce 'Purr - show' (nearest word I could find :P ).

Sorry wasn't trying to say there was a right or wrong way as I know some people do the first 2 with or without the E, but the others I mentioned really only have 1 correct way (as do cadence I guess?) & that people should show some restraint in the beginners sections of BR.

Could easily be a question over the francofile words used in cycling too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    declan1 wrote:
    Porsche as 'Porsh'.
    Siobhan as 'Shivvon'.

Sorry wasn't trying to say there was a right or wrong way as I know some people do the first 2 with or without the E, but the others I mentioned really only have 1 correct way (as do cadence I guess?) & that people should show some restraint in the beginners sections of BR.

Could easily be a question over the francofile words used in cycling too.

I know, I was just saying how I pronounce them ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ha - a question about english pronunciation in a cycling forum - love it. Next week - how to spell 'tyre' - or is it 'tire' ??
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    giant man wrote:

seriously, how hard can it be. No I don't respect the OP, cos it's a foolish question to ask, cos its definitely one of the easier cycling terms to pronounce. The english spelling has no accents or circumflex on any of the characters, so where is the problem here.
    Oh, come on. Be nice. It isn't a term in mainstream English use. Wilier and Campagnolo, for example, have no obvious clues that they are not pronounced as obviously as they are spelled.
    giant man wrote:
    The musical term is cadentia derived from the latin name, but that's not what we're talking about.
    Errrrrrr, yes it is.
    Origin:
    late Middle English (in the sense 'rhythm or metrical beat'): via Old French from Italian cadenza, based on Latin cadere 'to fall'
    Imposter wrote:
    Ha - a question about english pronunciation in a cycling forum - love it. Next week - how to spell 'tyre' - or is it 'tire' ??

Pfft! Lets have none of this Yankee nonsense on here. There's no i in tyre!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    I reminded of the Chinese Proverb:

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."
    Wilier Izoard XP