Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Cables rubbing on frame

bond-007bond-007 Posts: 87
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Just were the cables come from brake/gear levers above the front fork there rubbing on the frame there and not doing the paint work any favours!

Am i just being to picky or is it the norm ?

Thanks in advance and i am a newbie so forgive me if this is a dumbass question :D

• Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sort out the lengths and or protect those areas with patches/tape
  • stubsstubs Posts: 5,001
    Google Helicopter tape its a thick but flexible tape that will protect the frame.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bond-007bond-007 Posts: 87
    Cheers lad, didnt know this stuff exsisted or i would of had it on before now

Any good brands you would recommend ?
  • I use the heli tape that bike tart sell.
    I've had it on all my bikes and it is excellent.
    One roll of the 5cm x 2 meters does the whole bike
  • I use the clear excess bit of of a sheet of MBUK stickers, because I'm tight.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • stubsstubs Posts: 5,001
    The best is 3M brand its non yellowing and sticks like censored to a blanket. Beware cheap imitations some of the stuff sold on ebay is no better than sellotape. I got my last lot from these on ebay a meter should do the whole bike with plenty left over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Leading-Edge-Helicopter-Frame-Component-Protection-Tape-1m-x-10cm-/190729809573?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2c6861eea5
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
    Cheers lads must get some ordered up asap
  • £14 buys a lot of sellotape...
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • mcnultycopmcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    bond-007 wrote:

PM me your postal address and I'll stick some in the post. This thread has reminded me that the stuff I bought was for a reason so I've just done the couple of patches Canyon missed (about 6 months after buying the tape).
  • FatMikeUKFatMikeUK Posts: 51
    Yeah this is normal. I use the ghetto approach; old tubes, slice them up and wrap 'em round in the appropriate areas, doesn't look great, although it's a black frame so not too noticeable, but as a cash strapped student I take function over form anytime. Same thing I use for a chain stay protector, although I actually quite like the look of it there.
  • I bought some heavy duty vinyl wrap & just put it where it was needed.

But what I may do in the future is the same, but cut the tape into cool shapes to maybe add something to the look of it.
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    It's annoying that manufacturers don't sort this issue at the factory or at least at the shop (my local shop did but thats unusual). If I designed a machine which had any cable rub I would be expected to sort it FOC so why isn't this the case on mountain bikes?

I use the clear excess bit of of a sheet of MBUK stickers, because I'm tight.

When you buy your copy of MBUK do you hide it inside a copy of the Gay Times to save the embarrassment?
    mcnultycop wrote:
    bond-007 wrote:

PM me your postal address and I'll stick some in the post. This thread has reminded me that the stuff I bought was for a reason so I've just done the couple of patches Canyon missed (about 6 months after buying the tape).

Cheers for the offer mcnulty but i ordered up some 3M tape and should be with me shortly
  • paulmgreenpaulmgreen Posts: 158
    Nip into your local bike shop and ask nicely and they may have some spare sheets of protective patches that come with some new bikes