Cheap but good glasses

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I have recently been laid off work so need to keep a tight reign on the money but i need some glasses.I cannot yet pay £100 for a pair so need to look at cheaper brands,at least till i get back on track.

I have had a quick look online at these from decathlon but do they do the job?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arroyo-cycli ... 73631.html

I wear safety glasses at work so please dont recommend these type,i want to look reasonably cool on my bike if only for a short time till things pick up.
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• matt86
    matt86 Posts: 19
    Can't comment on the decathlon glasses but I have a pair of these, which I find are great...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzor-Professi ... 262&sr=8-9

A look at the reviews on amazon and other agree with me. A search on ebay can find them with free p&p.
    Orbea Aqua TSR 2012
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    I've got glasses from Decathlon and they're good, I only paid £11 for mine, they are different than the ones you linked to (mine are just black)

Just as comfortable as my Oakleys
  • dbairduk
    dbairduk Posts: 50
    sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend some prescription ones too?
  • dbairduk wrote:
    sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend some prescription ones too?

I was just going to ask what do you guys recommend for someone who is just buying his first bike, doesn't wear contacts but needs glasses to see?
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    There are a few that will take a prescription lens. I'm using Tifosi Roubaix glasses. £50ish for the glasses, £12 for the insert and £25 to get my lenses put in. Works well :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    There are a few that will take a prescription lens. I'm using Tifosi Roubaix glasses. £50ish for the glasses, £12 for the insert and £25 to get my lenses put in. Works well :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/r/1/s/cycling/search.asp

Prescription glasses - £60 all in. No problems in a year.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Have a look at Bolle safety glasses, available from Screwfix.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • matt86 wrote:
    Can't comment on the decathlon glasses but I have a pair of these, which I find are great...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzor-Professi ... 262&sr=8-9

A look at the reviews on amazon and other agree with me. A search on ebay can find them with free p&p.

+1 I have these and they are good,
    I also bought these as they had interchangeable lenses and was very impressed, slightly more but to me worth the money.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses/
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    fake oakleys. 5 lenses nice case, 6 quid ;)
  • Davdandy
    I`m not bothered about the brand so long as it looks ok and not like something i wear at work.

Some good choices there guys,thanks. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Seriously mate? No uv protection either, what if you crash and the lense shatters into your eye? Fake ones have no protection and they follow none of the rules that brands have to! You only have one pair of eyes. At least get proper lenses in your fake frames!! :wink:

OP - what you need to decide is do you want glasses for all occasions? If so you need different lenses for different lights. I just bought these and they are so comfy. Slightly more than you may want to spend - but Edinburgh Bike CoOp have cheaper options!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    The DHB one's on the Wiggle site are well recommended, the Pro range come with 3 lenses, my wife uses the ladies one's and has been impressed. They are light, well made and good value.
    Ridley Orion
  • For prescription option, I've just received a pair of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNGLASSES-Perf ... 685&sr=8-2 .

Reviews good and good quality so very pleased so far.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    PlanetX do some nice shades http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/eye_wear

For prescription glasses you have 2 choices. Have the lens made to your prescription or buy glasses with an RX Insert and have those made to your prescription. RX are cheaper and if your prescription changes you can have just the inserts deglazed. Also, RX inserts can have interchangeable lenses, I've got the Power Race Apache from PlanetX, they come with 4 different colour lenses including photo chromic for £30. It then cost me £80 to have lenses put in the RX Inserts - I could have got it done cheaper using a web based prescription lens company.

This is just to give you an idea of what RX inserts look like:
    MaximRX_Insert.jpg

Downsides, the inserts add weight to the glasses and are closer to your eyes. All the RX inserts are different, there's no standard, you just send your inserts off to be glazed.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    TheFD wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Seriously mate? No uv protection either, what if you crash and the lense shatters into your eye? Fake ones have no protection and they follow none of the rules that brands have to! You only have one pair of eyes. At least get proper lenses in your fake frames!! :wink:

OP - what you need to decide is do you want glasses for all occasions? If so you need different lenses for different lights. I just bought these and they are so comfy. Slightly more than you may want to spend - but Edinburgh Bike CoOp have cheaper options!

well the sticker on each of the lenses quotes uv protection.. ;) I have played golf all my life and never wore sunglasses so i doubt the uv protection means much. Unless you plan on staring at it. As for shatter protection i would be interested to find out if any difference to a cheap pair from elsewhere.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    sundog.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Trickle
    Trickle Posts: 22
    philbowell wrote:
    I was just going to ask what do you guys recommend for someone who is just buying his first bike, doesn't wear contacts but needs glasses to see?

You can go out wearing glasses. Laurent Fignon won the Tour de France wearing specs. I managed my first rides in mine OK. Have fished out an old box of daily contacts and have started wearing them now instead. Watering eyes was the problem with specs during fast descents.

Actually not looking cool was the problem.

I notice a better 'safety first' type response has been given above about glass in eyes if you crash. TBH I hadn't though of that, but my initial reaction was more about saving £200 on specs during a crash rather than on a low probability of shattered glass in eye.
  • I was thinking for further down the line, I've an old pair I'll probably wear till I can afford some of these suggestions but still very useful information.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I bought a pair of the dhb pro glasses (with 3 lenses) for £32. I think they're fine and would recommend them but but mate uses a similar pair, also with 3 lenses, which he bought from Argos for a tenner,

I take the earlier poster's point about eye protection but there ate so many things we could scare ourselves over if we thought too hard about them. It is certainly something to bear in mind when you think about what matters most to you
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I got some Avenir Smoke ones from amazon. £20 inc 4 different lenses. Not cycled in them yet but just run 11k in them and they were great. Light, gripped my head well and gave good protection in the brief hour of sunshine we just had. I would recommend at that price!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Davdandy
    Thanks guys.

I went to decathlon and decided to buy these.I have tried on quite a few and the problem is the `fit`, i cannot buy online as i have to try them on,many glasses do not fit on my face as well as others,some are down right horrible on the face even if the styling is great.It is not all about the looks.

So i got a set of these,they fit me perfectly,but i know i will have to change them once i get back into work but for now they are great.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/griffith-pac ... 73630.html
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    TheFD wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

Incorrect, they do have uv400 protection, well the ones I have do, I bought 4 pair. I gave up real ones after one pair was not handed in at velodrome, and got another pair nicked off my helmet in Philippines.
    You will be very surprised how many top riders use them lol
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Davdandy wrote:
    I have tried on quite a few and the problem is the `fit`, i cannot buy online as i have to try them on,many glasses do not fit on my face as well as others,some are down right horrible on the face even if the styling is great.It is not all about the looks.
    I find the same. I wanted to go for some designer glasses and every single pair I tried on were too wide for my head. Who do these people measure? So my normal glasses are Specsavers own brand, which fits me perfect.

Cycle glasses were the same. Some were just too wide and the Tifosis fitted spot-on. I'd have tried Oakleys but the price of them makes my wallet run away in terror. :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    As mentioned above you need Bolle Contour with the plastic frame not the metal option.

Get ESP lense for pretty much all weather and the Smoke for true summer sunshine.

Lenses are as good as any. Check out the safety supply shops and postage is usually the decider as you should pay about six quid a pair. Cheap enough to get a spare of each.
  • Neal84
    Neal84 Posts: 12
    I recently bought a pair of these in both clear and black. No problems so far, only £14.99 and are cycling specific:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec022295
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I've got some Enduras that are OK for £30, three different lenses, look at bit cheesy in silver but OK so far

DHB ones good until they broke

I don't use prescription inserts, although I do wear glasses, as I can live without them, but if the price were right would consider them

Expensive glasses are frankly a waste unless you're a pro or really, really serious - you're bound to lose/sit on/drop/ride over them eventually (sometimes all of the above in one ride)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • blackstick
    blackstick Posts: 151
    Helo, try Bolle Sunglasses on ebay... from 9 quid posted, they offer good UV protection/ I owned the smoked, ESP and clear. They are all great and although they did not say, the lenses are changeable as well => Very lightweight as well.