Odd knee cap feeling/movement on down-stroke

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
I've been doing a lot of work on the turbo recently, owing to continued poor weather conditions here in the UK.

Been doing a lot of work around threshold and am now moving on to some short max-effort sprints.

Everything has been going fine except I'm now experiencing an odd sensation in my left knee on the down power stroke - it's not pain, it just feels, well odd. As if the knee cap is moving around on each stroke.

Rather than wait for it to start hurting, I asked my GP to take a look and she said everything looks fine but would refer me for physio if it starts getting painful.

Does anyone know what this might be? Does it have a name that I can google and find remedial stretches or exercises that might help? I'm keen not to wait until it turns into an injury.

Comments

• ITBS Band
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Two things you can do:

1) stretching - do it regularly and properly - I found that adding proper hip flexor stretching pretty much eliminated my ITB and patellar issues. Make sure you work on the whole body though.

2) leg strength/stability work - eg. my physio told me to do 5-10 single leg chair squats every day. There are alternative exercises such as lunges that can be done too.

and maybe a third option is to look at bike fit... but it sounds like poor knee stability is your problem.