Cleat positioning

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
Hi all.

Quick question for you - if anyone can answer that'd be great.

I've noticed that when I'm clipped in, my heels 'turn in' towards the frame of the bike. I came across this by accident when I noticed that my Endura overshoes were being shredded on the drive side by the chain (around the heel area of the inside of the shoes).

Now, what I'm thinking is that if I angle my cleats to the opposite of which way my heels 'turn in' towards the frame, this slight angle correction should then correct this slight issue that I'm having, right? Of course I realise that it may take a few weeks of my ride being weird due to the new cleat positioning but any thoughts would be welcome by experienced riders on this issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Yes, changing your cleat position will solve this.

I try to make sure my feet are as straight as possible, I assume that is the most efficient.
  • dg74

I try to make sure my feet are as straight as possible, I assume that is the most efficient.

Thanks. Also, some amazing properties you have in your link for France. Stunning!
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    There should be some turn in when pedalling otherwise the knee and pelvis will twist - not good.
  • dg74
    Overlord2 wrote:
    There should be some turn in when pedalling otherwise the knee and pelvis will twist - not good.

Enough to shred my new overshoes though :?:

I think this is just a case of trial and error to see what I can manage to do. Oh well.
  • bernithebiker
    dg74 wrote:

Thanks. Also, some amazing properties you have in your link for France. Stunning!

Thank you! Although the sunny 16'C's of last week have disappeared and it's now 8 and grey!

(We're having a cycle week in September if you can make it!)
  • I had this as well.

Don't forget though that your chainstay arcs out anyway, so if your heel is clipping this you're probably not as turned in as you think/feel you are.
  • bernithebiker
    I had this as well.

Don't forget though that your chainstay arcs out anyway, so if your heel is clipping this you're probably not as turned in as you think/feel you are.

Your heel should never be clipping the chainstays.

If your foot is straight, this will not happen.

It's easy to check - while riding, put your crank in the 3 o clock position and look down, your foot should be parallel to the crank. If it isn't, adjust your cleats.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    And when you want to get them set up properly it might worth a read of this

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bl ... -position/

Took me ages to get mine just right...but now no knee pain, no stay rubbing and no dead foot :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    What do you value more - your overshoes or your knee ligaments?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • How much were the overshoes?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    The only correct answer to cleat position is "whatever is right for that person". Humans aren't produced on a machine, and every one is unique. Whilst foot straight may be a starting point, it won't suit everyone. The late, great Ray Booty used to have to file flats into the chainstays of his works Raleigh frames (much to the disgust of the frame builder!) to clear his heels.

Ideally, get a GOOD bike fit. It may be that what you actually need is footbeds more suited to your morphology, but that sort of thing needs expert advice (such as Adrian Timmis).