Campagnolo Chorus 11

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have or used this groupo? Just seen the prices of Campys 3rd tier groupset and wonder what makes it worth £900? How does it compare to other groupo's (that is - Ultegra, Force)?

Heck, does anyone use Campagnolo at all? It's always Shimano and SRAM I tend to see/here about.

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    carbon and the price of 11 speed
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Gabbo
    Can anyone give any feedback to how it compares to other groupo's though? Worth the money?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Christ man, stop comparing Chorus with the likes of sram and shimano, if you had Campag you wouldn't be worried believe me, just buy it and enjoy it. Why on earth do you think it's more expensive?
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have athena .... It's great never let me down do I would imagine chorus is equally as good if not better
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Some would place chorus on par with Dura-Ace (pre 9000) and some would put it between Dura-Ace and Ultegra.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    When they have it in stock, it's 800 quid at Ribble.

Defo worth it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Campags 3rd tier group is not the same as other manufacturers 3 tiers.
    Chorus is functionally equivalent to record, but less bling.
    Chorus, Record and S-Record should be compared to Dura Ace Really.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I've got it on my good bike - and have SRAM Force on my other bike. The Chorus is way ahead of the SRAM in terms of quality - i too love it and dont regret it.

Got mine from Comtat which was cheapest at the time. As said though - Ribble often have it cheaper and its worth registering on their website for email offers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you ever use Chorus 11 speed you will notice it is simply sublime. It is worth every penny and I would charge less than £900 for it so that price is expensive. Think around £850 which is my price.

Also Chorus uses a Ultra torque BB over the power torque BB on athena. Also the chorus 11 speed front shifter is ultra shift which is so much nicer than powershift on the Athena as the front mech is fully trimable with ultrashift. You do not have to pay extra for carbon cranks with Chorus and Campagnolo carbon cranks are light and quite simply the best cranks on the market except for dura ace 9000. Shifting on Chorus 11 speed is the niceest shifting experinence you can have. Also Campagnolo shift cables seem to last and last and shifting remain precise even it is ridden for 1000's of miles in wet weather without adjustment. Dura Ace never seems to manage that.

You cannot reallt compare Campag to Shimano or SRAM directly. Even entry level Veloce performs as well as 105 and is as light as Ultegra.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Just fitted Chorus onto a mates bike today, and I must say, I'm delighted I opted to spec that on my Rose over Di2 now. It's absolutely superb. Can't wait for my bike to arrive now so I can get riding.
  • Gabbo
    Cheers folks, some really positive responses here!

It's nice to have something different as well!
  • eugenekim
    eugenekim Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me if 2014 chorus shifters are compatible with the 2014 Athena build? I want to swap out the shifters so that I can have the Ultra-shift capabilities. In addition, what is the big difference between Athena power-torque BB crank system and Chorus Ultra-torque BB crank system. Any help would be most grateful.

Thank you
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    eugenekim wrote:
    Can someone please tell me if 2014 chorus shifters are compatible with the 2014 Athena build? I want to swap out the shifters so that I can have the Ultra-shift capabilities.

Should be fine, its all Campy 11 speed.
    eugenekim wrote:
    In addition, what is the big difference between Athena power-torque BB crank system and Chorus Ultra-torque BB crank system. Any help would be most grateful.

Thank you

Different designs in the way the crank halves join together. The Ultra torque is quite easy to take apart, just need a long hex key to separate the cranks, I think power-torque is more tricky. The bearings are quite exposed though, not so good for winter/wet duties. That said, my crank has done circa 3,500 miles, I added some Campag lithium grease the protect the bearings better and its been fine.

FWIW I have Campy Super Record, but if was buying for another bike I'd get Chorus - exactly the same functionality, a little more weight but a lot less cost.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    eugenekim wrote:
    Can someone please tell me if 2014 chorus shifters are compatible with the 2014 Athena build? I want to swap out the shifters so that I can have the Ultra-shift capabilities. In addition, what is the big difference between Athena power-torque BB crank system and Chorus Ultra-torque BB crank system. Any help would be most grateful.

Thank you

I have no experience of it, but I was told you could do exactly as you want to with the ergos.

I have Chorus and I can't imagine why I would ever want to upgrade it to Record or Super Record. I've never used SRAM and have only tried Shimano once, but I can't imagine being happy only being able to shift one sprocket at a time now.

Another thing to consider is that it looks great. Ultegra is ugly.

I just swapped the crank over to that kind of mid-compact they've started doing (52/36) and you can't get that on Athena or lower.

I paid about £830 from Shiny Bikes.
  • g00se
    I run 2013 record shifters with 2013 Athena mechs and chainset - works perfectly. 2014 and 2013 are no different.

The difference between the crank systems is the way the bearings are fitted and the way the crank spindles join. The Ultratorque systems (Chorus and up) are easier to work with - Powertorque is Ok to fit but a pain to take off, needing special tools - and removing bearings is worse. It's £100+ in tools or just get a shop to do it.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It gets a mention here, worth listening to the whole thing: https://player.fm/series/cycle-systems- ... -part-1-of

i like the idea of campag but SRAM suits my buget better, so I'll stick to Rival.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chorus is simply sublime to use use what you prefer they all work very well. Plenty of dealers can beat £900 for this group :wink:
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY,
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Pronouncing the g in campagnolo makes you thick.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Campagnolo endorse the term Campy, so no complaints from them, so why is it an issue LegendLust?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    LegendLust wrote:
    CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY, CAMPAG not CAMPY,

OR "CAMPY" LIKE CAMPY CALL IT THEMSELVES :roll:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/techinfo/index.jsp
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Just been looking the Planet X rt-58 with chorus 11 speed, glad to hear such positive responses regarding the groupset
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Is Chorus worth the extra spend from Athena? I've heard there are shifting differences (shifting up multiples or something :s)
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • g00se
    Yes - worth it, if you can afford the hike between the two groups. You get the proper Campag multi-shifting. Also, the levers are properly repairable and the cranks are easier to work on.

Marketing gumph: http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/tech/id_14.jsp
  • drlodge
    Miles253 wrote:
    Is Chorus worth the extra spend from Athena? I've heard there are shifting differences (shifting up multiples or something :s)

Yes, Chorus introduces Ultra-shift. 3 down, 5 up I think on the rear. Works a treat when doing a double shift (front and back).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Miles253
    g00se wrote:
    Yes - worth it, if you can afford the hike between the two groups. You get the proper Campag multi-shifting. Also, the levers are properly repairable and the cranks are easier to work on.

Cranks easier to work on? Do you mean, after damage or BB stuff?
    drlodge wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

Yes, Chorus introduces Ultra-shift. 3 down, 5 up I think on the rear. Works a treat when doing a double shift (front and back).

Is that especially useful? Or does it just make transitions between cadences smoother?
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have Chorus shifters and chainset and Athena mechs. Works nicely and I now don't like going on my winter bike which only has Veloce!! Ultrashift (multiple up and down shifts) is worth having imo despite the extra cost.
  • g00se
    Miles253 wrote:
    g00se wrote:

Cranks easier to work on? Do you mean, after damage or BB stuff?

To take UT cranks off (replace BB, fix a creak etc. etc), you need a long hex drive, undo it and they come off. For PT, you need a short hex drive but then you need a special campag (or appropriate) bearing puller that can take the right hand crank arm off of the spindle without damaging the arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IKYhvuyLA

For both UT and PT, you'll need a bearing puller to get the bearing off of the drive side crank arm - but for PT, as the crank is full length (UT is half length), you'll need an adaptor to get it to reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWRjp0h8pU

So, if you go PT, it probably means you'll need a shop to do this for you - or you'll need to get some tools you'#ll not need very often.
    Miles253 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

Is that especially useful? Or does it just make transitions between cadences smoother?

It's good for things like rolling over the top of a hill and dropping down the block to get away fast in one go.

Also, if you have a compact chainset, it means you can change front and rear at the same time - moving a few at the back in one go - so the change in cadence isn't so great. For example, you're on the big ring, you turn a corner and hit a steep hill. Push both thumb levers a good distance and you'll drop to the small ring but bump the rear up three or four so the cadence doesn't have you spinning too fast before you loose momentum.

It's not a huge saver - with a single shift on the rear you'd just have to repeatedly shift up three or four times in a row - but it's very sweet doing it in one action.
  • drlodge
    g00se wrote:
    Also, if you have a compact chainset, it means you can change front and rear at the same time - moving a few at the back in one go - so the change in cadence isn't so great. For example, you're on the big ring, you turn a corner and hit a steep hill. Push both thumb levers a good distance and you'll drop to the small ring but bump the rear up three or four so the cadence doesn't have you spinning too fast before you loose momentum.

This ---^

I've got a compact and its really nice to be able to do the "double shift" with a single press of the levers.
    Find me on Strava
  • Miles253
    Sounds pretty useful! I had no idea about pulling cranks, I had been considering changing from a double to a compact but it sounds like it might be a bit of a struggle. Ive got centaur ultra torque, so I better check when I get home if it's an Allen key jobbie