Which magazine????

feemackenzie
feemackenzie Posts: 130
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Spending money on a bikes and kit is one thing, but the magazines are almost as expensive. What's your weekly or monthly read?

I'm a Cycling Plus guy just now.
Felt z95 - loving my first road bike

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Cyclist
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Cyclist, nice pictures, interesting articles for the moment, hope they can keep it up!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    If you can persuade your missus to give up her Tesco clubcard vouchers you can trade them for a Cycle Sport subsciption
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Cycling Plus for just over a year now, but Cyclist is interesting me more right now. Occasionally Cycling Weekly, but rarely.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Cyclist and Pro Cyclist every month with the odd Rouleur and Road Bike Action thrown in.
  • Cycling Weekly. Cycling Plus is little more than pretty pictures and advertising. Not tried the others.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Pro Cycling....Best by far.

Great interviews, Great Photos and not many adverts !!

Might get Cycling Weekly now and again...but its been getting worse over the last few years. Its known as The Comic !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cyclist = quality
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    +1 for Cyclist. Subscribed to CP as well as got a night vision jersey & £8 back from Quidco - bargain :D
  • Cyclist.
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Subscribe to Cycling Plus, always buy Cycling Active as well. Got the latest edition of Cyclist which is good, I also buy Pro Cycling when I spot it. Each magazine is different imo. Each with its only qualities / failings.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..I subscribe to Cycle Sport, imo the best coverage of the pro scene..and buy the occasional (well maybe 2 out of 3) Cycle Plus for gear reveiws etc.
    Tried Cyclist on special offer ( 3 editions for £3!!) but found it way to high-end verging on elitist for this humble cyclist...nice pics though and some interesting, tech type stuff on things like ball bearings...
    ..picked up the odd Cycle Active but found that to be to basic..
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I very seldom bother. I purchased the latest edition of cycling plus and it reminded me of why I don't bother.

While it is a useful source of info, if I were to buy it regular (as I used to) I'd possibly be tempted to buy stuff I didn't really need for my cycling pleasure. They fuel the inner gimme,gimme,gimme inside but that's what they're supposed to do.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I get Cyclist and sometimes Cycling weekly.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    I very seldom bother. I purchased the latest edition of cycling plus and it reminded me of why I don't bother.

While it is a useful source of info, if I were to buy it regular (as I used to) I'd possibly be tempted to buy stuff I didn't really need for my cycling pleasure. They fuel the inner gimme,gimme,gimme inside but that's what they're supposed to do.

..I know where you're coming from...in a similair vein, after some recent big spends, I now immediately delete all those emails from the bike shops with their oh so tempting offers..!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    deswahriff wrote:

..I know where you're coming from...in a similair vein, after some recent big spends, I now immediately delete all those emails from the bike shops with their oh so tempting offers..!
    I think, in a nutshell it's a case of "what the eye doesn't see".
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Buy Cyclist every month, tend to read Cycling Plus and Pro Cycling in Smiths too but don't think they're worth my hard earned cash. Anyone read the new Simpson Magazine?
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Rouleur is awesome. I also buy cyclist.
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Another vote for Cyclist
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Cycle Sport most months, Pro Cycling occasionally.
  • cycling weekly and cycling plus , interesting features and stories
  • gazman1
    gazman1 Posts: 77
    After reading this thread I went out and picked up a copy of cyclist, I'm glad I did its a really good magazine by the looks of it. Thanks for all the recommendations.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The gear/leisure titles seem to churn out the same content regularly so I don't bother buying any. C+ appears to be all about carbon bikes (they're all "great"), upgrading, shiny stuff and gadgets, not my cup of tea. CW has lost its way and should be titled Sportive Weakly.

I subscribed to Cycle Sport recently, worked out at about £3/issue for my preferred magazine about the pro scene, though Procycling is almonst worth it for Tim de Waele's photos. Rouleur is always well written and produced, but I struggle to justify paying £10 for a magazine, even one that good.

If you're prepared to work around the Mamil-style fixation with upgrading everything and wade through some of the bollocks spouted about training and 'nutrition' (described in the real world simply as food), there's a lot more knowledge and useful info in these 'ere forums.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pro cycling ;).
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Cyclist - consistently good quality writing and photos, interesting articles, and more depth than C+ and Cycling Active.

Rouleur - the magazine I love to hate. Fascinating, pretentious, beautiful, self-conscious and occasionally brilliant.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i tend to get cycling plus most months but more out of habit than anything. i am fortunate to work in a supermarket and on occasion linger in the magazine section a little longer than i should ...
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Cyclist magazine is beautiful, but definitely aimed at people far above my current pay grade! With each issue they sent me an offer to subscribe to the new Aston Martin magazine! I got three issues of Cyclist for £3 on a British cycling offer and cancelled after the trial. I try not to bother with magazines anymore as you can get hundreds of artices and information all for free on the net.

That new Simpson mag looks good, but I hear that it's £6 per issue?
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I enjoy Spin (download), as it's free from ad's and concentrates on good cycle articles etc and Cycle Active, which is the opposite, but still good in places.
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Just bought a digital subscription through the Cyclist website, went to Google Play as instructed to activate subscription, guess what no option to avtivate. All google let me do is buy a 1 month free trial, Cancelling in the morning
  • winrya
    winrya Posts: 32
    Cheers for the cyclist comments, picked up a copy of today and I've read every single word of it. What a great read, subscription sorted too I'm so impressed!