cyclescheme thingy

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
ive decided im to poor to be able to afford a bike all thou there are probably lots of nice bikes out there for £150 I cant find any of them so I might do this cyclescheme thing

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I am afraid there really are not any good bikes for £150 new. Budget around £300 as a minimum to get something you expect to last more than 3 months. A fully rigid bike for £3-400 should last almost indefinitely. On cyclescheme, you pay for it over a year, and dont make tax or national insurance payments on that amount of money, saving you around 32% But you pay it in instalments so dont even notice it going, especially with people being £20/ month better off in a few weeks time due to tax code changes
  • Anonymous
    im bidding on a couple of ebay things if they don't go cheaply then I might cycle scheme depends ill check gumtree and ebay jus before I decided no deals then I may cycle scheme it

ROCKHOPPER 29er. £600.00
    http://www.mickscycles.co.uk/ecom-catsh ... bikes.html

Hardrock Sport Disc 29er £500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What scheme does your employer use? Different employers use different schemes who use different retailers.

Do you fully understamnd the scheme, in the first year you pay a LEASE, at the end of it you can then buy the bike (which largely offsets the tax saving) or enter an ended extended lease to circumvent the fair market value tax ruling (though is of dubious legality in my opinion anyway!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    I understand how it works yes. im not happy about not owning the bike for first year . I don't see any better ways atm
  • Anonymous
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221204140264? ... 1431.l2649

this is a bike I found on ebay the guy is willing to deliver to me I think it looks in very good condition minus the disc brakes but I hope v brakes will provide enough stop power for basic mountain biking jus wondering what price range I would go for I have been offered a buy it now price at £145 +p+p but was wondering if should ask for lower or take and run thanks

message received via ebay seller

thing it sounds a bit dodgy

New tyre fitted now bike great £150 ..that's it but you must pay direct to my PayPal account pay as a gift payment that's the only way I will sell it at that price
    Regards Steve
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    You can get one brand new for £250, don't go too high!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Anonymous
    I know

anyone know any disc codes for Halfords lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221204140264?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

this is a bike I found on ebay the guy is willing to deliver to me I think it looks in very good condition minus the disc brakes but I hope v brakes will provide enough stop power for basic mountain biking jus wondering what price range I would go for I have been offered a buy it now price at £145 +p+p but was wondering if should ask for lower or take and run thanks

message received via ebay seller

thing it sounds a bit dodgy

New tyre fitted now bike great £150 ..that's it but you must pay direct to my PayPal account pay as a gift payment that's the only way I will sell it at that price
    Regards Steve
    I'm sure he's a lovely guy but buy outside of Ebay and you lose all your Ebay back up, pay by gift and you lose all Paypal back up.
    I wouldn't. Let him work out what the Ebay etc fees would be, add a bit on and do it properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    mailed him saying cash on delivery only
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mailed him saying cash on delivery only
    Unless he lives down the road from you that's not going to happen, is it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    told him to not to bother I bid £50 if I win yay if I don't that's that. im not gifting him the money to be scammed. why is this is so dam hard to find a bike for cheap which is half decent
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    just do the cycle to work scheme. Thousands have and I'm sure very few get caught out with anything other than a very nominal end payment.

Find out what shops you can buy from, think about what your budget is and post a few possibles on here for feedback. (The Specialized posted above don't tend to be very good value)

You'll have to be pretty lucky to get a good bike for £150, even second hand.
  • The Rookie
    I've had plenty of good bikes for sub £150..... bought a Bantu about 2 months ago, 2 years old, few chips, £130, raidon air fork still worked perfectly as did the disc brakes, plenty of meat on the pads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've had plenty of good bikes for sub £150..... bought a Bantu about 2 months ago, 2 years old, few chips, £130, raidon air fork still worked perfectly as did the disc brakes, plenty of meat on the pads.

For every bargain, decent bike on gumtree, there are hundreds of turds unfortunately. And for someone new to the sport it's far easier to get it wrong!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    for someone new to the sport it's far easier to get it wrong!
    That I agree with.....
  • Anonymous
    don't have any transport atm so I have hope people are willing to deliver which is a pain
  • Anonymous
    what do people think looks fine to me but I don't know much (depending on delivery as well)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APOLLO-XC26-S ... 1e769b97c2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's not worth 30 quid. It'll fall apart in weeks of moderate use
  • Anonymous
    not sure about this (checking on delivery and size atm )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true
  • The Rookie
    Noooooooo
  • Anonymous
    no on both

its really hard to find something decent for my price range spent hours on ebay and gum tree and search engines for nothing much!

thanks for all the advice so far
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I know it's bad form, but having seen the stuff you are looking at I'm going to quote myself
    chrisw333 wrote:
    just do the cycle to work scheme.

There, I did it.
  • Anonymous
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I know it's bad form, but having seen the stuff you are looking at I'm going to quote myself
    chrisw333 wrote:
    just do the cycle to work scheme.

There, I did it.

I think its best I jus cant find anything decent that people will deliver

theres lots of nice bikes around for my budget but with no one to deliver and I cant collect I cant have them

im all but ready admit defeat for meanwhile
  • The Rookie
    Can you not get bus/train to collect?
  • Anonymous
    Can you not get bus/train to collect?

most of them are considerable distance away bus fare would be lots

train probably depending but I would have to be really special bike thou. seems I would have to find extra money for train faires
  • Anonymous
    checking

pre-loved
    ebay
    gum tree
    plus have posts in classified forum ( its the hard tail one) the other one is wrong thanks
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Use cycle scheme its a no brainer most are now over 18 months of payments and then they lease the bike for free for another 18 months this gets around any final payments , im about to start my 3rd one and have had the full grand each time , its cost me about £650 each time and dont worry about not owning the bike , as long as you keep up the payments its yours why would they want it back.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Again, to reiterate what everyone else has been telling you..... Do the cyclescheme! Checking an online calculator (found here http://www.leisure-lakes-c2w.com/calc.html ) based on you buying a bike for £250 Which you wont have to pay all at once and equipment totaling £30 (helmet?) it would cost you roughly £16 a month in a salary sacrifice.

If your fairly new to it then why would you want to take a hit for the full amount without knowing how much your going to use it etc? Im just spitballing here but it just makes more sense to me if you want a bike and a half decent one at that but dont really have the budget for it, this is a good option.
    2013 Cube Analog
    2011 GT aggressor - For sale
  • Anonymous
    yeah probably do that this Tuesday when im next free

ill post a off the bike I get
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Don't be put off by the "lease" the bike thing for the first year. For all intents and purposes its effectively your bike.

I got my current mountain bike through the Halfords scheme. The bike was £999.99 so I have £83.33 deducted from my salary every month so I only actually pay £56 a month. Then at the end Mr Tax Man says I have to pay benefit in kind for the bike which equates to £50 which is spread over the following year as an adjustment to my tax code.

Of course some C2W schemes are different, but the principal is the same.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2