motivation

Zingaro134
Zingaro134 Posts: 38
Ive been on my rollers for quite a while now and I'm doing some good sessions, but most days I just can't get the motivation to get on my rollers , even now coming into the summer, motivation lacks, has anyone got any good tips for getting the motivation to just get up and do it

Comments

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Find some kind of target to aim for. Long term or short term and try and focus on that. Something like trainer road might help too.

If all else fails put a big cake two feet in front of the rollers and try and cycle of the front of them.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    you could try riding on the road instead?
  • datasone
    datasone Posts: 35
    I find watching the cycling on TV helps while I'm on the turbo. Either that or buy a cycling DVD
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Try picturing how good you will feel after the workout, after beating your mates on Strava etc.

Would also recommend entering some kind of event - this has done wonders for my motivation, especially on the turbo.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Find something you enjoy doing
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Go for a bike ride.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Indoor riding can be very do-motivating : couple of things from my perspective to help :
    I think that just doing this to 'get fitter' is probably the hardest thing to do and may well de-motivate you from cycling altogether so do have some sort of target, eg being able to complete a local 20 mile loop in an hour, break the hour for a 25TT, get round the Etape etc etc
    Have your workouts planned ahead - I used to just have an aim to do say 20 minutes on the turbo but as I started riding and my legs felt tired and heavy I would quickly drop the target of '20 minutes' to 15, then 10 then I'd decide that I would only do 10 minutes total but I'd do 2x 4 minutes hard - once I had a bit of paper in front of me that had the noted intervals I would just start on the 1st one and follow on to the end.

Sufferfest videos - these get a good rep on here, only cost about £10 each and you are sufficiently motivated to want to train then these are just a case of following the prompts on screen and you can forget about 'not being bothered' and just chase the rider you are watching. Good range for longer and shorter efforts, generally last around 1hour max.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    OP, as it was dry this morning, I took a dose of road to counteract the cabin fever of turbo.
    5 miles of freezin block east wind on part of the training loop had me wishing I was sweating away in the kitchen.
    Checking back on the ride data, even though I had to drop into small ring to get some kind of cadence rhythm going, I was pleased with speed of nearly 17mph going into it.
    Thats the key , you do some training, then you find out what you can do with it - hence I race.
    You may want to do a 100 miles in under 5 hours - find yourself a proper goal because you havent mentioned one and just to bang out hours on rollers .. is just .. er .. pointless?
  • I Got myself onto the rollers this evening.. I put a fan in my face which made me feel better and want to do more, I preplanned the session (10min warm up, 10miute tt pace, 6min recovery, 6min tt pace,3min recovery,3 min tt, 2 min recover, 2 min flat out, 2 min recover , 6x30sec sprints with 30sec recovery) A lot better that spinning pointlessly, I used a site cycling torrents to get today's stage of the volta a catalunya ....... Sooo much better, even my avg speed went way up, Feel great now and will without a doubt be on the rollers tomorrow again :D
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Find something you enjoy doing

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Do you want to get spanked all summer long ?huh? WELL DO YOU? Drop and give me fifty.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Youtube. Laptop. Pain.

It's Paris Roubaix Season