Magura MT vs Hope Race Evo x2 vs Mini Mono vs...?

2»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd like to reiterate:

M
    O
    R
    O
    N
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    A bit of Hope brake bashing going on here???

As some of you know I run V2's on one of my bikes. Whilst they do not have the absolute bite of the Formulas (I have these on another bike), they are not that far off but they are absolutely bomb proof, dead easy to maintian and so relaible.

Set them up once and you are done; they really are that good!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    My view is that all of these posts are useful to you.

You stated you weren't interested in Shimano based on a number of statements (modulation issues, availability of spares) that were totally incorrect. These have been pointed out to be incorrect by numerous people, so they are in fact useful posts. The posts that just tell you to get Shimano are also useful, as the more this happens, the more you must think that they are the best option available to you. I think you've just decided they aren't useful posts because you've told yourself that you don't want Shimano brakes.

That is fine, but what is the value in criticising me and others for telling you what we think when you've put up a post asking for opinions? Just because you don't want to listen to us?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano have an excellent spares back up and availability: just about all shops have a Shimano account, Madison carry a huge catalogue of parts and many online shops sock them as standard.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Levi_501 wrote:

As some of you know I run V2's on one of my bikes. Whilst they do not have the absolute bite of the Formulas (I have these on another bike), they are not that far off but they are absolutely bomb proof, dead easy to maintian and so relaible.

I have had severlal friends run hopes for years, and they spent more time being fixed or parts replaced then on there bike, so experience in my local area is very very different.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The V2 is also a heavy beast: The MT4 is 200g lighter EACH end!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    supersonic wrote:
    The V2 is also a heavy beast: The MT4 is 200g lighter EACH end!

Agreed, they are a couple of monsters!

Thewaylander: That is the first I have heared people of having problems with Hope brakes. Anythign specific spring to mind?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Piston issues.

Lots of brake fade to in the alps buts that's more the braking performance than reliability though, though never nice to grab a finger full of level and naf all happens.
  • Mrtennis
    Mrtennis Posts: 153
    EH_Rob wrote:
    My view is that all of these posts are useful to you.

You stated you weren't interested in Shimano based on a number of statements (modulation issues, availability of spares) that were totally incorrect. These have been pointed out to be incorrect by numerous people, so they are in fact useful posts. The posts that just tell you to get Shimano are also useful, as the more this happens, the more you must think that they are the best option available to you. I think you've just decided they aren't useful posts because you've told yourself that you don't want Shimano brakes.

That is fine, but what is the value in criticising me and others for telling you what we think when you've put up a post asking for opinions? Just because you don't want to listen to us?
    Actually I have said already that I have taken into account what people have said regarding parts availabilty and modulation (although that does seem to be more of an opinion thing as many have said they lack in this area, which is why it would be best to try them myself). The main reason I would go for the MT's now is the weight thing. For me that is a good reason, don't care if for some others it's not. The ONE person so far who has been able to compare the MT and the XT said there wasn't huge performance difference, so I think it's reasonable to go for the MT instead if I want light weight. The MT2 is pretty much the same price as the XT so Shimano isn't way below eveything else in price either, it's equal.
  • Mrtennis
    Levi_501 wrote:

I would be careful about praising the Hopes on here. They seem to be hated even more than the Shimanos are loved (although this is the only forum where this seems to be the case). Might get called a moron or something! Not keen on the V2 because of the weight anyway to be honest. The X2 evo race, with it's boost in power over the previous version would be my choice, it's just too expensive though.
  • Mrtennis
    Mrtennis wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:

I would be careful about praising the Hopes on here. They seem to be hated even more than the Shimanos are loved (although this is the only forum where this seems to be the case). Might get called a moron or something! Not keen on the V2 because of the weight anyway to be honest. The X2 evo race, with it's boost in power over the previous version would be my choice, it's just too expensive though.
    People have said on here that the older Hope's (mono mini which can be picked up very cheap on ebay) don't compare to modern brakes in power so I think don't think I'm going to bother with them. Happy everyone bashing me!?!?!? I am taking your advice!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Have a look at SLX and Deore. They're much cheaper and performance is very similar to XTs, although I presume they're a bit heavier.

I don't think you being called a moron has anything to do with Hope brakes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As for hopes going cheap on ebay I sold both my sets of hopes, x2's and minis, bought two sets of xt's from rosebikes in germany and made £90, so I had two awesome new sets of brakes and some free carbon bars :lol:

Out of interest, which forums have you been on which say steer clear of shimano?