Tomorrow - Lidl bike offers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers for the tip off :wink:
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    nice 1, i got the floor pump last time its still going strong. For a fiver its hard to beat.
  • NICE ONE :D
  • thanks for that
  • even though they dont show it on the website some people are saying that some shops have the bike work stand in at £30 which im gutted about because i wanted 1 but just cant affford this month.
  • Anyone tried the base layers?
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    even though they dont show it on the website some people are saying that some shops have the bike work stand in at £30 which im gutted about because i wanted 1 but just cant affford this month.

Really hope our local shop has one!!
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    even though they dont show it on the website some people are saying that some shops have the bike work stand in at £30 which im gutted about because i wanted 1 but just cant affford this month.

Yes, i've just picked one up from the Warrington Store, they must have had at least 20 of them.
  • How is it? Do they seem quite sturdy? How's the clamp for attaching to the bike?

Ooh, sorry about the quick fire questions, it's just a little bit of a trek to the nearest one for me, so just wondering before I decide whether to head out!
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • goffski
    FergySteve wrote:
    How is it? Do they seem quite sturdy? How's the clamp for attaching to the bike?

Ooh, sorry about the quick fire questions, it's just a little bit of a trek to the nearest one for me, so just wondering before I decide whether to head out!

Someone else will need to answer this for you as mines boxed up in the boot and probably will be until Sunday. I have heard good things about them for the money. I was actually quite surprised they had them as they weren't advertised and i'd been holding out for one.
  • Bustacapp
    goffski wrote:

Yes, i've just picked one up from the Warrington Store, they must have had at least 20 of them.

I'm in Warrington now (I work there). Do you think they will last until lunchtime?
  • FergySteve wrote:
    How is it? Do they seem quite sturdy? How's the clamp for attaching to the bike?

They always seem to get a good review by forums. Only problem is people often buy all the stock up and then ebay it at a profit. I've just bought a Park one, but if I hadn't I would have got one.

HTH 8)
  • goffski
    Bustacapp wrote:
    goffski wrote:

I'm in Warrington now (I work there). Do you think they will last until lunchtime?

It's possible they'll still have some at lunch time while they were not advertised. I called in about 8.30 and there was about 20 of them and pretty much only me in the store. They only had 1 M base layer, a few L base layers and about half a dozen XL's, not sure if this is an indication of people going in early on their way to work or just not much stock?

This is the one over for Asda, they's another one in Latchford, but don't know what they'll have in stock.
  • Bustacapp
    goffski wrote:
    It's possible they'll still have some at lunch time while they were not advertised. I called in about 8.30 and there was about 20 of them and pretty much only me in the store. They only had 1 M base layer, a few L base layers and about half a dozen XL's, not sure if this is an indication of people going in early on their way to work or just not much stock?

This is the one over for Asda, they's another one in Latchford, but don't know what they'll have in stock.

I've just nipped out and bought one. Looks awesome for £30!!!

Got some xl base layer shorts too. Can they be used as regular cycling shorts?
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    Got to my store at 9am and the selection was very poor, hardly any sizes in the jerseys, but loads of pumps and lights. The base layer tops are vests and not t-shirts. Didn't see any stands at all. Last week was better, they had some really nice long sleeve base layer tops.
    All I ended up with was 6 pints of milk
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Any one have any experience of the track pump and the light sets?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Are the gilets any good?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    SecretSam wrote:
    Are the gilets any good?

Dunno but i bought one anyway. Only £9. I got a medium and no idea how tight there meant to be but it was pretty loose (i have a 38" chest).
  • djsoftware
    djsoftware Posts: 199
    I got the stand when the offer was last on and cannot fault it, have stripped and rebuilt two bikes using it. Very good for the money and sturdy, only bit of advice is to put some pipe cladding around the seat post if its carbon just in case.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    thanks for this post. been keeping an eye on the aldi android app for bike stuff. Really want a bike stand so fingers crossed they have it in cardiff. Bought a heart rate monitor from there 2 weeks ago - and it's surprising good!
  • djsoftware
    djsoftware Posts: 199
    I should'nt worry, I got mine on the following day and a friend got his at the weekend last time around.
  • Inutero wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Are the gilets any good?

Dunno but i bought one anyway. Only £9. I got a medium and no idea how tight there meant to be but it was pretty loose (i have a 38" chest).
    I didn't buy one this time round as I now have a Louis Garneau (£32 mind you) which is excellent. I did buy a Lidl one before that but it's not stowable in a rear pocket and a bit thick and baggy for serious use. But decent enough for round town. The new one looks more like the "performance" gilet it claims to be and may fold down quite well. I didn't unpack one to look at though.

Oh, and for a proper fit, you really want it to be almost as snug as your jersey to stop it flapping in the wind.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • FergySteve wrote:
    Anyone tried the base layers?
    I had one already and have bought a second one today. They are ok but it depends what you expect from it. They do offer a compression feel but they are not particularly breathable so you my feel a bit clammy on our back as I tend to when I warm up when wearing one (and I don't sweat much). They are handy as a warm under-layer but probably best reserved for when you are not exerting yourself so much. I certainly wouldn't wear it for a 50 mile ride for instance, but around town on a sub-zero day it might be what you need.

But I'd buy something like Under Armour or another breathable base layer for more serious riding.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • goonz
    FergySteve wrote:
    I had one already and have bought a second one today. They are ok but it depends what you expect from it. They do offer a compression feel but they are not particularly breathable so you my feel a bit clammy on our back as I tend to when I warm up when wearing one (and I don't sweat much). They are handy as a warm under-layer but probably best reserved for when you are not exerting yourself so much. I certainly wouldn't wear it for a 50 mile ride for instance, but around town on a sub-zero day it might be what you need.

But I'd buy something like Under Armour or another breathable base layer for more serious riding.

For that sort of price, go merino...
  • So, my total haul today was the last two medium jerseys (one blue, one red), a base layer top and handlebar grips.

The jerseys are the same fabric as the previous long-sleeved ones, with a short zip. Comfortable but I wish they would do a small size as the medium is a little loose under the arms. They are, as always with Lidl jerseys it seems, very long, even allowing for me "sizing up". I could very nearly walk around in just the jersey without being arrested for indecent exposure*! It completely covers my rear with the tail being so long. The front would be a bit more of a challenge. :wink:

* Disclaimer: I have no desire to actually engage in indecent exposure, let alone be arrested for it! :lol:

The base layer is as I described it in my post above.

The grips? I'm not sure. I hoped they might be cushioned as none of my cold weather gloves have adequate padding. But maybe the extended section to support the carpus bones will lessen the need for padding. If not, I could maybe wrap some gel bar tape round the main grip. It's years since I had bar ends on my bikes but as my hardtail is used mainly around town, the extra hand position will offer a bit of variety for fatigued hands. They are optional and can be replaced by the supplied end plugs.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • goonz wrote:
    FergySteve wrote:

For that sort of price, go merino...
    True, that's a valid option. But I play ice hockey and have Under Armour base layers for that so I make them multi-use. I've yet to actually buy a merino base layer though I do have a nice jumper or two from H&M. Not sure they'd be quite right as a base layer though! :lol:

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • goonz
    I notice you have the Focus Cayo, can I ask what sort of bike this is, geometry, componentry, I am really interested in my next bike being a Focus mainly purely because I like the look of them but wanted some first hand experience.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    chatlow wrote:
    thanks for this post. been keeping an eye on the aldi android app for bike stuff. Really want a bike stand so fingers crossed they have it in cardiff. Bought a heart rate monitor from there 2 weeks ago - and it's surprising good!

They're not doing a stand in this offer that I am aware of. There's a ceiling hoist for storage though.

I'm in Cardiff and I went in at 8.00 am this morning a the Cowbridge Road West Branch and gave it a good old raid. Two pairs each of threequarter shorts, short sleeve tops, socks, base layers plus the gillet and a pair of gloves. Much the same for the missus also. Won't be needing to stock up on cycling clothing for a while :lol:
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Inutero wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Are the gilets any good?

I didn't buy one this time round as I now have a Louis Garneau (£32 mind you) which is excellent. I did buy a Lidl one before that but it's not stowable in a rear pocket and a bit thick and baggy for serious use. But decent enough for round town. The new one looks more like the "performance" gilet it claims to be and may fold down quite well. I didn't unpack one to look at though.

Oh, and for a proper fit, you really want it to be almost as snug as your jersey to stop it flapping in the wind.

Took it back and got the small. Much better fit. As for the fold down ability. I don't think this would fold down into a pocket, seems too thick. I really only bought it for my short commute.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    goonz wrote:
    I notice you have the Focus Cayo, can I ask what sort of bike this is, geometry, componentry, I am really interested in my next bike being a Focus mainly purely because I like the look of them but wanted some first hand experience.
    Can I suggest you PM this sort of question - as it is wwwaaaaayyyy off topic!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac