hidden purchases - nothing to declare?

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Beckers62 wrote:
    I'm going to hack you all off now :D

My other half emails me links to kit she thinks I might like. She was egging me on last night when I showed her a Rapha jersey I quite like the look of

To be fair, she cycles too and we have separate finances

Best arrangement ever
    If you've got separate finances why would she care? She's probably got a bet on with one of her mates that she can get you to bankrupt yourself before the end of the year
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Beckers62
    Beckers62 Posts: 66
    Beckers62 wrote:

My other half emails me links to kit she thinks I might like. She was egging me on last night when I showed her a Rapha jersey I quite like the look of

Best arrangement ever
    If you've got separate finances why would she care? She's probably got a bet on with one of her mates that she can get you to bankrupt yourself before the end of the year

Assuming you are not living on bread and water, or under threat of eviction or repossession, why would you want to be in a position where a bit of expenditure on your hobby has to be hidden from the Mrs :? :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Exactly my point... I'm still not sure whether postings are meant to be humorous or whether folks really do think its ok to lie to their partners about their spending habits
  • mikey - i meant it in humourous terms believe me, tbh the inspiration behind the question didnt come from the missus, when i was younger and lived at home my mother had a sentry box at the front door, she could smell a purchase before id even got on the bus to come home, dunno how she did it but the result was sneaking handlebars down the trousers (in my mtb days) same with seatposts, excuses of swapping stuff with mates, feigning winning stuff which has been mentioned. my missus laughs at me because i do come home a bit coy with my purchases, i cant lie to her and as i work from home deliveries are asking for it so i have to come clean every time, she has asked about why id need a special tyre for the turbo, or why those shoes with that yellow 'thing' stuck to the bottom of them and i find myself overjustifying it - this is basically a therapy thread and im expelling my 20 year old demons -lol but to an extent we are all like this, we love new bits and sometimes waiting isnt an option so, sometimes you might have a few purchases on the trot - and the question always gets asked - you spending money on that bike agaaaaaain????
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    mpatts wrote:
    I once received a bike in the post with a "congrats on winning our monthly prize" slip inside.

:)
    Class, never thought of that one.

Just brought new Canyon which the other half thinks it cost £2000 but was actually £3700....ouch!!. Plus lots more other goodies hidden in the past :twisted:
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    goonz wrote:
    SoSimple wrote:
    This has to be the best ever thread on here.

I've just managed to pick up a Garmin Edge 800 for £99 as they've brought out a new version!

She didn't quite say it but I could see her thinking....you paid £99 for that tiny little thing!

Where did you pick up an 800 for 99?

See totally convincing story!!

If you say it with a straight face, anything is possible!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @z .. Excellent. I hoped you and others did, but then I wasn't sure! My faith in human relationships is quite restored. I don't hold myself up as a paragon of virtue here and it does seem to be an endearing trait between long term couples... They do shoes and tops etc and we do boy bits. I guess it's only dangerous when it gets out if control and you can't afford it... I'm sure my running wasn't as expensive as all this bike malarkey ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggle should have a portal from BR that allows users to alter/set prices of items so that the our other half's can see the 'wife price' on the screen, but show the correct price at checkout when wife is not looking :D
    A bit like they do if you go into their site through BC website and get 12% off.
    wiggle price =£320
    Wife price =£99
    They would make a killing!

Maybe it could be set up to take 'wife price' from one card (joint acc.) and balance from another card (stash acc.).

You could also set it to make it look like you have won the monthly prize for sending in a review, instant £500 :wink:
    Maybe even set the level of the prize! Instant Izalco Pro :lol:
  • AnneBr
    AnneBr Posts: 4
    Beckers62 wrote:

Best arrangement ever

What kind of nasty piece of "poopy" do you think I am? :o

I do think it sad that some people are jealous of other peoples hobbies and just as sad that others need to lie to their other half to cover up their hobbies. :) If you can afford it then it's your choice, but don't spend the mortgage money on new kit, and don't lie about stuff.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Our late club president had several bikes, but they were all white. His wife thought he had just the one bike! Another member of our club bought a new Pinarello, and got a friend to take a photo outside the shop with the manager, and told the wife he won it in a competition. He also keeps at least one bike at a mates house as well!
  • Anonymous
    DaveM399 wrote:
    Our late club president had several bikes, but they were all white. His wife thought he had just the one bike! Another member of our club bought a new Pinarello, and got a friend to take a photo outside the shop with the manager, and told the wife he won it in a competition. He also keeps at least one bike at a mates house as well!

Years ago I knew a guy that had a whole house, complete with mrs and kids that his wife did not know about :shock:
    I didn't think to ask him if he had a secret bike and a few jerseys there too :lol:
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    The real worry is what is your bike going to say when it finds out you have a WIFE?
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Exactly my point... I'm still not sure whether postings are meant to be humorous or whether folks really do think its ok to lie to their partners about their spending habits

C'mon, it's a game!

Women have done this for years and its great to be able to get some payback. My OH really doesn't mind and we have separate finances but the thrill of getting away with buying a Garmin 800 and 'admitting' it cost £99 is priceless- especially when she tells our friends and the wife laughs, but the husbandhigh fives me when they leave the room!

In return, when I ask 'is that new?' And she smiles and says 'nope, I've had it a while' and smiles, we both kind of know the truth and laugh together!

The only thing she is less impressed about is Lycra, but that isn't really down to the cost......
  • Anonymous
    Mikey23 wrote:

I do feel really bad about deceitful purchases sometimes............. I find that sleeping with her sister takes my mind off it though :lol: