A diet that actually works....

chill123
chill123 Posts: 210
I see a lot of threads on here about diets, magic formulas etc to help people lose weight. I thought i'd share what works for me.

If i need to shift a few kg or maintain my 'fighting weight' here's the regime i'll typically follow. As ever it's more about a lifestyle/routine rather than a diet. I try and be really good during the week and then not worry so much at weekends. I don't kill myself if I have a weak moment or circumstance doesn't allow me to follow the routine.

Here is what a typical weekdays intake usually looks like

Breakfast: Banana + low sugar cereal with semi skimmed milk (ie. shredded wheat not frosties!). Bacon sarnie on a Friday if i've been good.
Lunch: Baked spud + beans, chopped salad (chicken breast, cous cous, beans, toms, carrot, courgette, oil + vinegar) or a sandwich (hold the mayo)
Snack: Fruit or healthy crunch/snack bar (some are better than others)
Dinner: Bowl of pasta + salad, rice n daal or vegetable stew (wife is a veggie so no meat)
Evening Snack: Avoid if possible. I find a herbal tea stave of the craving for a pud.

No booze during the week (usually). I only really drink coffee, tea and water. No squash or fizzy junk.

My exercise week usually consists of 2-3 x 1 hour sessions on the turbo/stationary bike (1 with intervals) and one weekend ride of 40-75 miles. Maybe a decent walk or gentle cycle with the wife on a Sunday.

At weekends I generally won't worry to much about the diet. I don't really eat takeaways (with little effort you can generally make much better food for less) but won't sweat eating out a couple of times and ordering desert or getting stuck into the wife's baking etc. Beer and wine...fine.

So there yee have it. No big secrets. No starvation. Just avoid ready made/processed foods, don't eat huge portions, apply a bit of will power and there's no reason why you won't see the same results as me.

Comments

• You say no processed crap but what do you call:
    Shredded wheat, baked beans, pasta, 'healthy' snack bar??

The diet you post there seems pretty carb heavy and doesn't contain any good fats- may work for you but probably not for most!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    chill123 wrote:
    'fighting weight'

Your diet looks crap, are you a sumo wrestler?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    It looks so good I don't understand why he would need to:
    chill123 wrote:

shift a few kg
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    chill123 wrote:
    I see a lot of threads on here about diets, magic formulas etc to help people lose weight. I thought i'd share what works for me.

If i need to shift a few kg or maintain my 'fighting weight' here's the regime i'll typically follow. As ever it's more about a lifestyle/routine rather than a diet. I try and be really good during the week and then not worry so much at weekends. I don't kill myself if I have a weak moment or circumstance doesn't allow me to follow the routine.

Here is what a typical weekdays intake usually looks like

Breakfast: Banana + low sugar cereal with semi skimmed milk (ie. shredded wheat not frosties!). Bacon sarnie on a Friday if i've been good.
    Lunch: Baked spud + beans, chopped salad (chicken breast, cous cous, beans, toms, carrot, courgette, oil + vinegar) or a sandwich (hold the mayo)
    Snack: Fruit or healthy crunch/snack bar (some are better than others)
    Dinner: Bowl of pasta + salad, rice n daal or vegetable stew (wife is a veggie so no meat)
    Evening Snack: Avoid if possible. I find a herbal tea stave of the craving for a pud.

No booze during the week (usually). I only really drink coffee, tea and water. No squash or fizzy junk.

My exercise week usually consists of 2-3 x 1 hour sessions on the turbo/stationary bike (1 with intervals) and one weekend ride of 40-75 miles. Maybe a decent walk or gentle cycle with the wife on a Sunday.

At weekends I generally won't worry to much about the diet. I don't really eat takeaways (with little effort you can generally make much better food for less) but won't sweat eating out a couple of times and ordering desert or getting stuck into the wife's baking etc. Beer and wine...fine.

So there yee have it. No big secrets. No starvation. Just avoid ready made/processed foods, don't eat huge portions, apply a bit of will power and there's no reason why you won't see the same results as me.

:roll:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    chill123 wrote:
    apply a bit of will power and there's no reason why you won't see the same results as me.

Did I miss the bit where you mention what the 'results' actually are??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Imposter wrote:
    chill123 wrote:
    apply a bit of will power and there's no reason why you won't see the same results as me.

You did not miss anything, they just were not there :lol:

The post come across angry to me and I took it as a dig at the 5:2 diet. People seem to get really angry that it works and might actually have other benefits.

The 5:2 diet works and a lot of people like it.
    The thread on the 5:2 diet is trying to inform/help people, but this thread just seems like a rant!

Will power is the problem with the OP's 'diet' for most people, so saying '"apply a bit of will power" is about as much use as saying that winning the lottery is a good way of getting rich...... without giving the winning numbers!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Carbonator wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    chill123 wrote:

You did not miss anything, they just were not there :lol:

The post come across angry to me and I took it as a dig at the 5:2 diet. People seem to get really angry that it works and might actually have other benefits.

The 5:2 diet works and a lot of people like it.
    The thread on the 5:2 diet is trying to inform/help people, but this thread just seems like a rant!

Will power is the problem with the OP's 'diet' for most people, so saying '"apply a bit of will power" is about as much use as saying that winning the lottery is a good way of getting rich...... without giving the winning numbers!

I think you are probably correct in your assessment.
    I have done a modified 5/2 by using some of my 2 - 10 shifts which are useful only in the respect that i can keep busy and keep mind off food.
    I have now gotten to my 'fighting weight' of between 162 and 165 lbs (down 20 lbs since Dec 2012) and have been for quite a number of weeks, so I know it is sustainable.
    If I have made any real conscious effort to change some eating habits then that is reflected by being a little more disciplined as to alcohol.. bread with yeast has almost disappeared and the national obsessiveness with so called healthy fruit totally eclipsed by the much more vital benefits of vegetables over fruit.
    These are my decisions and they have worked for me... but unlike the OP I aint about to ram them down anyone's throat
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    The diet you have listed looks more like a maintenace type diet to me, personally i wouldnt have the pasta for dinner. It is a generally healthy diet and if you are doing a lot of exercise as well the weight will come of anyway. Your diet is too heavy on the carbs with not enough protein and little in the way of calcium, potassium or standard vitamin array.

Personally i would go with something like this

Breakfast
    Scrambled eggs (made in microwave using a little water rather than milk) on pumpernickel with a little home made rocket pesto
    Or
    Smoothie made with skimmed milk, 1 banana, spoon of protein powder, a small handful of oats and some blueberrys

Snack
    A clementine or other small orange, apricot, prunes or a few dates.

Lunch
    Chicken and mushroom soup (Home made) with a couple of rice crfackers spread with a little low fat cheese spread
    Home made turkey chilli con carne in a wholgrain tortilla with a little sour cream served with green salad and tomatoes

Dinner
    Chicken Tikka (not massala just grilled marinated chicken breast) with quinoa salad
    Lamb tagine and a small ammount of boiled brown rice
    Grilled sardines with cucumber & chilli salad
    Grills lean steak with broccoli and baked cherry tomatoes
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Sure are a lot of folks that don't seem happy unless they're converting other people to their lifestyle. This chaps diet seems reasonably healthy (healthier than many I suspect). Sure there may be healthier variants, just as I'm sure many will enjoy 5:2 diets or whatever else.

If only people could practice the basic principle of live and let live as well as they could preach about their diet. We're just a bunch of amateur blokes playing at being cyclists. Why all the competition?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    chill123 wrote:
    apply a bit of will power
    This is the only difficult thing about any diet.

If you have the will power, it's hard to see how anyone else could have a problem.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    Imposter wrote:

I went from this to this in just 9 weeks:
    Before-After-Anne.jpg
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You've certainly upped your standards, which one's the wife?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did nothing for your moobs though, and those bibshorts are just plain wrong :lol: