Psychological or Physiological

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
Let's see if i can explain this...

Recently I have been doing some interval training on the turbo as part of my training and I have been having some confusing thoughts over their effectivness.

When doing the hard interval part of the session especially the longer intervals I feel I am putting my all in and at times struggle to complete the interval and at that point feel exhausted (not necessitily legs totally burnt out), which i see as a good thing. But then at the end of the session after a 15min cool down I can climb off the bike and often feel as if I could have done more or I didn't push hard enough and my legs are rarely fully "jelly" Like

Is this because I have an effective cooldown, I am recovering well or simply not pushing myself hard enough and giving up a bit too quick.

An example was today I did 5 sets of 5mins @ 105% FTP with 60min RI followed by 5 sets of 30sec @150%FTP with 30s RI and I was struggleing to complete the last set of 5 mins but had enough to do some reasonable 30sec efforts and after the cooldown I was able to climb off and my legs felt fine.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/286346128

I realise it's hard to tell without numbers to back it up and only I really know how I feel but I would be interested if anyone else experiences anything similar.

Maybe it'll just come down to me having to MTFU and learn the mental strength to push harder for longer.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Your brain will tell your body to stop long before your body actually can't do anymore physically.

Try and store that feeling of getting off the bike and thinking you've got more to give, recall that feeling when the going gets tough and see how you go.

I also find switching off your concious thought of "this is hard I can't push anymore" when the going gets tough and just try and concentrate 100% on spinning your legs, let nothing else enter your mind, you might also find getting the breathing in rythum with your legs will help.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I think this is where Trainer Road comes into it's own, when your body is screaming at you to stop you can remind yourself that although you "want" to stop, you probably don't "need" to stop because the workout is geared to your fitness level. I'm not strong enough mentally to recognise that moment when you really do "need" to stop. :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise