Difference / preference between these 2 core exercises?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
These both seemed to be aimed at activating the glutes and strengthening lower back, but the first involves lifting the torso while keeping the feet on the ground, the second lifting legs with hands remaining on the ground...

The second one seems to be "doing more" to me, I can really feel the glutes working. But the first one supposedly exercises the trapezius muscles too (upper back/shoulders?)

P.S. Not wanting to start a debate on whether core exercises in general are a good idea - if you want to talk about that please start another thread! :wink:
2. Prone Cobra on Swiss Ball

Lying over the Swiss Ball so that the apex of the ball falls in-between the navel and just over the groin area. Start in the flexed or lying over the ball position. Palms are facing the roof. Contract your glutes and draw your shoulder blades together as you extend through the movement. Externally rotate the arms with thumbs up as though performing the “Fonzie” salute. Maintain head in line with spine.

Note: A good exercise for those who are quad dominant cyclists and require glute & middle – lower trapezius activation. Also facilitates strengthening of the lumbar extensor muscles necessary for keeping you in the riding position for hours.
Core Exercise #3: Hip Extension

What It Works: Lower back, hamstrings, glutes

A. Lying with your hips and stomach on the stability ball, put your hands on the floor directly under your shoulders, and extend your legs with toes resting on the floor.

B. With a straight spine and shoulder blades back, as if you're trying to make them touch, lift both legs off the floor, keeping them straight. If possible, raise them slightly higher than parallel to the floor. Hold for two seconds and lower. Do 20 reps.

Why It Works: This movement builds backside strength, for added efficiency on the second half of the pedal stroke.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    So have you decided that one or the other is going to be beneficial, but you don't know which one?
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Fonzie salute wins, heyyyyyyy.
  • neeb
    Tom Dean wrote:
    So have you decided that one or the other is going to be beneficial, but you don't know which one?
    Yes. Probably at least.

They both activate similar muscle groups (or are supposed to).

<edit> Correction - they are probably both beneficial, but there may be reasons for preferring one over the other.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Depends what your looking to get from the exercises as the first is mid & upper back inc shoulders & the second is lower back and glutes.

You'll find the second one feels like your doing more work as its exercising a sizeable muscle group and if done correctly is pushing that group to an extreme movement with maximum contraction which is not always achieved hence the perceived effort feeling.

If your looking to build muscular strength for these areas then both are good, but I would always change the exercises used every 4-6 weeks as your body will soon become adjusted to them & having variety is the key. Both work so I would be doing sets of each & then changing for similar exercises.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • neeb
    Depends what your looking to get from the exercises as the first is mid & upper back inc shoulders & the second is lower back and glutes.

You'll find the second one feels like your doing more work as its exercising a sizeable muscle group and if done correctly is pushing that group to an extreme movement with maximum contraction which is not always achieved hence the perceived effort feeling.

If your looking to build muscular strength for these areas then both are good, but I would always change the exercises used every 4-6 weeks as your body will soon become adjusted to them & having variety is the key. Both work so I would be doing sets of each & then changing for similar exercises.

Thanks, makes sense.

Reasons for doing this are two-fold - I don't use my glutes enough on the bike, and I sometimes get niggling lower back issues (off the bike rather than on it). The latter have been a lot less frequent since I started doing planks.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    neeb wrote:
    Reasons for doing this are two-fold - I don't use my glutes enough on the bike,

Have you wondered why that might be? Could it be because they are not typically recruited for cycling?
  • neeb
    Imposter wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    Reasons for doing this are two-fold - I don't use my glutes enough on the bike,

Have you wondered why that might be? Could it be because they are not typically recruited for cycling?
    :roll:
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    neeb wrote:

Thanks, makes sense.

Reasons for doing this are two-fold - I don't use my glutes enough on the bike, and I sometimes get niggling lower back issues (off the bike rather than on it). The latter have been a lot less frequent since I started doing planks.

I personally think the prone cobra is far better by being adapted, instead of moving the arms/hands up keep them static. Will help you really concentrate on the movement & contraction and if you want to make it harder you can always do with some weight(s) in your hands.

You can always look to combine with core exercises for the front portion too by looking at plank exercises, where you move from front to side and back with leg & arm switches/step throughs built in. Tend to find it really helps if you have small alignment issues that can be a common cause of lower back pain both on & off the bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.