Bye Radioshack and Becca

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2013 in Pro race
RS ending sponsorship at end of year and Becca also "bored"
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Can't say I'm surprised or bothered.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Ahhh, shame.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Think theyve had 2 extra years than anyone would have thought so...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    1 less team is not a problem but if Blanco don't get anyone then that's two less teams.
  • iainf72
    Dave_1 wrote:
    1 less team is not a problem but if Blanco don't get anyone then that's two less teams.

And Vaconsoliel
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    No Dutch teams would be a travesty.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    It's never good to see sponsors leaving the sport... but if you had to pick one
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72 wrote:
    ...Becca also "bored"

Maybe he needs to watch some more bike races?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    For all those gleefully polishing themselves at the team's demise ... just bear in mind that there will be another 10+ talented domestiques without a team come the end of the year as the refugees from RS with WT points are hoovered up ...

Once SKY corp can sidle away from their back door sponsoring of the Olympics, Bikeradar's current crop of fawning buffoons will have a harder time watching Stannard, Thomas etc. scrabble for a team having gained very few points in helping Wiggins/Froome/Porte/EBH ...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The sport will be just fine. Never been in better shape and perhaps never been a better time to sponsor a cycling team than it is right now.
  • For all those gleefully polishing themselves at the team's demise ... just bear in mind that there will be another 10+ talented domestiques without a team come the end of the year as the refugees from RS with WT points are hoovered up ...

Once SKY corp can sidle away from their back door sponsoring of the Olympics, Bikeradar's current crop of fawning buffoons will have a harder time watching Stannard, Thomas etc. scrabble for a team having gained very few points in helping Wiggins/Froome/Porte/EBH ...

One of the many holes in this argument is that Thomas is 9th and Stannard 21st in the UCI rankings.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Sponsors come and go.

If the team folds another will come through. It's the natural order of things.
  • Crankbrother
    For all those gleefully polishing themselves at the team's demise ... just bear in mind that there will be another 10+ talented domestiques without a team come the end of the year as the refugees from RS with WT points are hoovered up ...

One of the many holes in this argument is that Thomas is 9th and Stannard 21st in the UCI rankings.

Come back to me after the Vuelta and show me their points ... and do you think Stannard will repeat in the next season or so?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    No Dutch teams would be a travesty.

No Dutch teams by 2014 and no German teams too. It's critical. I think it would be good if Net App-Endura get wild carded into the Tour de France..kinda good to advertise that lower budget operations and amalgam of sponsors can get together and get great publicity in such an event. Maybe cycling is just too pricey for a title sponsors now?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    That a team like this - that was built around a retired legendary doper, managed by a doping ringleader and financed by a businessman busted for fraud and embezzlement - has lasted so long as it has, is the thing that impresses me.

Should Sky conceive of withdrawing their team sponsorship in the next 5 years, you think Brailsford would struggle to relocate his team with someone else?
    You think Stannard and Thomas would struggle to find another team at the end of this year - even if they did nothing else all season?

One of the ironies is that the BC structure that Team Sky have embedded themselves with could be argued to give the broadcaster an unfair advantage in terms of "fair competition" over other sponsors of cycling in Britain - very much in the way that BSkyB and News Corp/Murdochs have been banging on about the BBC in the broadcasting industry...
  • rick_chasey
    It's partly the recession. Firms have less disposable income and the doping has given firms an excuse to leave. No superstars from said nations doesn't help. Dutch do put an awful lot of riders in the peloton though.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Sky have now sponsored British cycling through 2 Olympic cycles. Last year they confirmed the next round of new sponsorship through to 2016. The promotional value they're getting out of sponsoring GB track AND the road team, is phenomenal. They're in discussions re becoming a partner in the Bakala-led breakaway initiative. They dont appear to be in any hurry to sidle away. Sorry to disappoint.
  • Crankbrother
    Bugger ...
  • Richmond Racer
    ok...so what do peeps think re which team Fabu:

1. SHOULD end up

2. WILL end up
  • iainf72

1. SHOULD end up

2. WILL end up

1 IAM

2 BMC

I'm hoping little Murdoch tries to recruit him and see how that goes
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    There's a German managment consultant in my office today who I can hear but not see who sounds exactly like Jens Voigt so I guess he's sorted himself out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

1. SHOULD end up

2. WILL end up

1 IAM

2 BMC

I'm hoping little Murdoch tries to recruit him and see how that goes

I think the Luigi thing is a showstopper now for your hopes to be realised, apart from anything else.

I'd quite like to see him at IAM. Rhis will flap his chequebook around to try to get him, for sure. What's one more highly paid superstar for them, after all. Would hack off Phinney mightlly though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    How the f**k did Crankbrother manage to turn even this thread into an anti-Sky rant?
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's a German managment consultant in my office today who I can hear but not see who sounds exactly like Jens Voigt so I guess he's sorted himself out.
    You've got management consultants in at work, and you're swanning about on the internet... :):)
  • Crankbrother
    Pross wrote:
    How the f**k did Crankbrother manage to turn even this thread into an anti-Sky rant?

Just reminding people that the demise of what was essentially 2 teams will result in several deserving riders losing their livelihood as a result of the WT points system and a flood of riders looking for places on a limited number of teams ... Remember when British riders were in that position (and will be again if/when SKY pull the plug)?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Maybe he will retire.

Hopefully Jungels gets a good team to nurture him. Like that guy.

Team roster. Already thin.
    http://www.radioshackleopardtrek.com/team
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Canc won't go to bmc. He likes being the main star.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

What do you mean thin? It's made up of 28 riders. UCI minimum is 23 and max 30 (with 3 neos) 28 with no neos.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thin on talent.
    Contador is the Greatest