Weather wet bike turbo trainer & weight loss

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
Doesn't look as if my cervelo is hitting the roads anytime soon due to weather. My questions are. As I ride mainly for weight loss do I buy a wet bike and get out or would I see any benefit in the cycleops fluid 2 winter pack and doing an hour or so each evening (probably cheaper than buying a bike) thoughts would be appreciated. It's just too easy to look out the window and push my ride into next weekend at the moment.
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Only you can really know what will motivate you to ride more, so have a hard think about it.

If you do go for a turbo I'd recommend the cycleops magneto if you're on a budget, I think you can pick them up cheaper than the fluid, and they're as quiet.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    As long as you make time to give it a good clean straight after each ride it won't do it any harm. As long as you don't mind getting wet, nor will your bike ;)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Looked at the winter pack with mat, bike protector riser and fluid 2 for £238. Didn't think it was that bad
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Depends how much you wanna spend I guess. I couldn't live without my turbo, but then I train to race, so it's possibly more useful to me.
    Rollers are good for a less stresfull workout, but good for form. Consider them too, they're a bit more fun imo.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I bought a turbo (Tacx Satori) a few weeks ago and am enjoying it more than I expected and my form is improving faster than I expected. In fact it's taking some discipline not to use it every day and get over-trained. As the weather continues to be poor, it's turning out to be an excellent investment.

The thing I particularly like about the turbo is it gives you very controlled conditions to train in, so it's easy to measure and evaluate your training progress, especially if you have a cycle computer which measures speed/cadence on the back wheel.

I wouldn't bother buying one of the £80 training mats - someone on here suggested a £5 foam camping mat from Sports Direct and that is doing the job nicely. You should budget for a dedicated training tyre though - my gatorskins are wearing pretty quickly.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    andyeb wrote:
    I bought a turbo (Tacx Satori) a few weeks ago and am enjoying it more than I expected and my form is improving faster than I expected. In fact it's taking some discipline not to use it every day and get over-trained. As the weather continues to be poor, it's turning out to be an excellent investment.

The thing I particularly like about the turbo is it gives you very controlled conditions to train in, so it's easy to measure and evaluate your training progress, especially if you have a cycle computer which measures speed/cadence on the back wheel.

I wouldn't bother buying one of the £80 training mats - someone on here suggested a £5 foam camping mat from Sports Direct and that is doing the job nicely. You should budget for a dedicated training tyre though - my gatorskins are wearing pretty quickly.

Don't fret about overtraining on the turbo... I have checked, I have had 3 days non riding since 29th December.
    All had valid excuses why I didnt ride.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    andyeb wrote:

+1 on the Taxc Satori. Not the quietest, but reliable and plenty of resistance if needed. I bought the package that included the mat, front wheel support and dvd for £130 from Decathlon back in October (now £165), and I've been using it regularly since. At first I programmed my Garmin with workouts, but have since bought an ANT+ receiver and have been using it with PeriPedal software (free beta ATM) along with some sufferfest videos and other workouts. I'm recording everything on Strava and Golden Cheetah so I can monitor progress, stress levels etc. All good stuff.

Even with a wet weather bike, some days are just too bad to go out so a turbo can fill the gaps and keep the calories burning. Buy both perhaps?