Is an m8 a bolt size?
    Youz iz obviously not dahn wif us kidz.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    For the ultimate ride and trail feel why not have one of each on your bike. Then you can bore the arse off people by rambling on about how your left foot has trail feel and at the same time bore the arse off people by telling how many Watts more efficent your right foot is.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Is an m8 a bolt size?

Yes your correct!
    Although most people think the M stands for Metric when actually it stands for M-Theory.
    The clue to this is that when you look at an "m8 bolt" its visually just got 6 sides like a standard
    hex bolt when sensibly you would expect 8 (clues in the name), however two of the sides project into
    2 of the extra dimensions defined by M-Theory and aren't visible to us. Hence why when you
    try a standard hex key in a m8 bolt it just spins, you need a special M-Key and yes
    I understand they are expensive but the 2 extra contact faces in the alternate dimensions
    are really worth the extra IMO. What's really strange and never ceases to amaze me is that
    any size M-Key fits any size m8 bolt, boggles the mind I know but many shops try and
    pull a fast one and sell you a range of sizes... so the gullible should watch out for that scam.
    Often referred to a Magic key for obvious reasons its really just one of the brand names
    people associate with M8 keys though the cheaper ones are just as good imo.

So to make it clear a m8 bolt does have 8 sides we just can't see 2 of them
    as they are not in our base 3 dimensions, not sure which 2 other dimensions
    the other faces are in but if you find out can you let me know please. I think its
    6 and 9 though some way out theories even suggest both in a single extra dimension but that's madness :roll: .
    A m8 (friend in this instance) is sure its 5 & 8 but he talks more crap than me usually :twisted:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's with the enforced carriage returns?
  • stubs wrote:
    For the ultimate ride and trail feel why not have one of each on your bike. Then you can bore the ars* off people by rambling on about how your left foot has trail feel and at the same time bore the ars* off people by telling how many Watts more efficent your right foot is.

Good point I just get tired of "experienced" riders bleating on about clipless all the time
    when both have +ves and -ves.. just try both (not at the same time tho as you suggest;P )
    as long as your out riding and enjoying it that's what matters really.
  • What's with the enforced carriage returns?

Ahh you want a sensible reply to a funny question....

M8 = meight = mate = friend.

Certainly didn't meant to cause offence if I had done i'd have carriage returned each word of this reply :P
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I can't say I'd ever want to go back to flats after spds, once you get used to pulling up as well as pushing down flats will annoy you! They do take a while to get used to and you will fall off at some point, at slow speed in front of a group of people...
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    At the end of the day you've just got to get out their and try the spuds out and if your happy with the way they feel then stick with them and if not then i'm certain some one will buy them off you in the parts section ;) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    In MTB terms, the only practical use is in XC...where the riders stay clipped in for long periods.

If you're going to ride mostly on the road, there is an advantage, but why not opt for old-fashioned clips and straps to see how you get on? Cheap as chips and you can use them with normal shoes too...

Don't really know where to start with that frankly, but I disagree.
    Yes they did it was me sorry for some reason when I log in using Facebook its lets me log in as you , strange ...
    As I use burton as a lot of my gaming and forums name..

WTF? That's a problem!
    Although most people think the M stands for Metric when actually it stands for M-Theory.
    The clue to this is that when you look at an "m8 bolt" its visually just got 6 sides like a standard
    hex bolt when sensibly you would expect 8 (clues in the name),

Teh ironing is that it actually is a bolt with a thread diameter of 8mm. Text speak makes you look silly.

The number of grammar fails on this thread makes me sad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Although.....blah blah blah

A m8 (friend in this instance) is sure its 5 & 8 but he talks more crap than me usually :twisted:
    I find that incredably hard to believe........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    ...you might want to search for 'clipless moments' before committing to ride with cleats :p ...technically speaking, clipless pedals are designed to increase riding efficiency by allowing a longer pedaling cycle..in basic terms your rising leg can help the pressing one by pulling up at the same time.

In MTB terms, the only practical use is in XC...where the riders stay clipped in for long periods.

If you're going to ride mostly on the road, there is an advantage, but why not opt for old-fashioned clips and straps to see how you get on? Cheap as chips and you can use them with normal shoes too...

Someone really needs to tell all those WC downhillers that use Mallets then!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    Not just Mallets though, they all (bar Sam Hill) use clipless.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    njee20 wrote:
    Not just Mallets though, they all (bar Sam Hill) use clipless.

Brendan Fairclough uses flats still and I believe a couple more though I dont really follow DH racing so not 100% sure. Never understood why anyone uses DH racing or XC racing as an example of what to use, after all you wouldnt put Pirelli slicks on your hatchback just because Sebastien Vettel uses them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    XC racing isn't that far removed from what most people do for normal riding, whatever people want to think!

I thought Sam Hill was the only person to finish in the top 10 at a DH WC on flats in the last few years. Agree it's not a very relevant example though.
  • njee20 wrote:

The number of grammar fails on this thread makes me sad.

Hello, kettle?
    I have pot on the telephone for you...
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Chunkers1980
    Go on then...
  • njee20
    Yes, what's wrong with that? Fails is the plural of fail, when it is used as an abstract noun as opposed to a verb, although it is also acceptable as the present tense of the verb when used in the second or third person.

Admittedly in this context it's a bit of an Americanism, but I can't imagine anyone didn't understand what I meant.

What is your issue with it?

If you're going to say it needs an apostrophe then please, just go home.
  • Chunkers1980
    Not sure it is an Americanism. I see fails and fail as more new school as a result of the web and 2.0.
  • njee20
    Mmm, yes, I'd probably agree, but say that's driven primarily by stupid/lazy 'murkans.
  • Paul 8v
    I'm no English teacher but surely it doesn't need an apostrophe as the "Fails" do not belong to "Fail" this is almost as boring as the SPD vs Flats debate... :-)
  • The entire post was trying to out stupid those people who go around pointlessly correcting grammar, spelling, text speak etc on the internet and in papers, I just didn't truely appreciate how high the bars been set. The detail wasn't being ironic it was totally irrelevant garbage which is exactly the same as those people who go round one lining posts about meaningless things... I don't know why people bother hence the increased effort at irrelevance (that was the irony not the detail). If poor grammar makes you sad... wow you must be perpetually depressed and disappointed with the world around you but you must lead a very comfortable one if poor grammar causes an emotional response as most people have plenty of genuine reasons to feel sad at times...

Well said Paul 8v and its what I should have said in spirit initially... still someone would complain about the use of an emoticon ;P.
  • Paul 8v
    I thought I would add the emotion to convey my joviality about how dull the SPD vs Flat debate is, it's so hard to gauge tone on the internet, wouldn't want everyone to think I was a miserable bar-steward! They should have a different font for sarcasm on the internet.

I don't like bad grammar myself but as long as people make an effort, it's people who use text talk who should be nuked from space, no emotions required there, I mean that one! :-)
  • Chunkers1980
    do you have a different time for sarcasm in the real world ?
  • njee20
    I just didn't truly appreciate how high the bar's been set

3/10, please see me.
    The entire post was trying to out stupid those people who go around pointlessly correcting grammar, spelling, text speak etc on the internet and in papers

Which one? The pot/kettle one? It wasn't, it was pulling me up for a non existent mistake!
    If poor grammar makes you sad... wow you must be perpetually depressed and disappointed with the world around you but you must lead a very comfortable one if poor grammar causes an emotional response as most people have plenty of genuine reasons to feel sad at times...

Nope, very happy thank you, just don't surround myself with poorly educated muppets, but yes, I pity large chunks of society every time I look at FaceSpace or MyTwat or whatever. Should probably chuck one of these in, so everyone knows it's for lolz :-D
    You could argue that an apostrophe (fail's) makes sense as you could see fail's as a contraction of failures.

You could, you'd be an idiot ;-) (that emoticon is sincere).

Anyway. SPDs FTW.