SPD's VS Flat's

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
I currently use flat pedals and having being umming and aahing about getting some SPD shoes and pedals. I mostly cycle my MTB on roads to and from work during the week, taking as much off road as I can on the way home, and get out in to my local woods (Sulham Woods) at weekends when time permits, and Swinley Forest on the very rare occasion.

Should I stick with flat pedals or will SPD's give me any extra bonuses ? I am a UK size 12/13 however so I find it a pain to get shoe's at the best of times.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Only you will know. Try them out. No half measures - one or the other.
  • echowitch
    Yeah only problem there is do I really want to spend over £100 just to try them out.
  • Chunkers1980
    520s are 17.50 on crc, massive clown feet like yours will mean some fugly ones somewhere are likely to be on sale for 20 quid somewhere - sports direct for example
  • FR0STY
    FR0STY Posts: 31
    I recently had a some mountain bike tuition and my foot position was compromising a lot of my technique even when I was trying to keep them in the right position. However like you I was apprehensive about going clipless so I did it on the cheap to try it out it cost me a grand total of £29
    £18 Shoes http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-mbs100-mens-cycling-shoes-149024
    £7 cleats http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17267
    £4 for some SPD pedals I picked up off ebay.
  • echowitch
    Thanks Frosty, thats certainly a fair bit cheaper :)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've fallen off a lot more since I tried spd's. although it normally happens just after I have braked to a stop.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still awaiting a Miranda Hart sketch on an SPD comedy fall!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You can get caged SPDs which have a supporting flat around them. They offer a bit more support when balancing on the pedals. I'd recommend going with these type first of all and not the spindley little clip-only pedals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't, never had a problem clipping in/out and once your clipped the paltform is redundant.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I know a few people who also feel that simple small clips give a very unsupported feeling on technical terrain compared to a wide flat pedal. It might depend on how stiff the sole of your shoes is, but I certainly feel 'balanced' on my SPDs, and 'poised' on flats. I moved up to caged SPDs and they were a bit better, I'd like to move up to Mallets for greater support.
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    got to say i use these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5937
    for my mtb started using on my road bike as well :wink:
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Burton wrote:
    got to say i use these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5937
    for my mtb started using on my road bike as well :wink:
    I could see them being useful for commuting, but not convinced about mtb. How do you know what side you are putting your foot on after a dab?
  • Chunkers1980
    You don't, which is why they serve no proper MTB use.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That sounds really really annoying.
  • Burton
    That sounds really really annoying.

not at all, easy to clip in easy to flick round, if your on a tight bit u dont feel safe on in ya clip ons just flick em round simples or starting off on abit which is tricky use the ped side and swop over :) best of both worlds :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope, just nope.
  • garnib
    garnib Posts: 38
    Nope, just nope.

each to there own...
    happy days :mrgreen:
  • bennett_346
    Burton wrote:
    if your on a tight bit u dont feel safe on in ya clip ons just flick em round simples
    You really should feel safe on your clipless pedals if you intend to use them at all. How is using the flat side any safer?
  • ...you might want to search for 'clipless moments' before committing to ride with cleats :p ...technically speaking, clipless pedals are designed to increase riding efficiency by allowing a longer pedaling cycle..in basic terms your rising leg can help the pressing one by pulling up at the same time.

In MTB terms, the only practical use is in XC...where the riders stay clipped in for long periods.

If you're going to ride mostly on the road, there is an advantage, but why not opt for old-fashioned clips and straps to see how you get on? Cheap as chips and you can use them with normal shoes too...
  • Chunkers1980
    Not much of that is on the money
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

but why not opt for old-fashioned clips and straps to see how you get on?

No just no toe clips used with normal shoes are the work of Satan and are designed to kill cyclists at traffic lights.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Burton
    I would love to know how someone else has been able to post here using my username??
  • bennett_346
    Burton wrote:
    I would love to know how someone else has been able to post here using my username??
    So would I.

Though i doubt "they" did.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Burton wrote:
    I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you and steal your indentity.
    And I don't want it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Clipless. The marmite subject of cycling. Love it or hate it.

I use Crank Brothers clipless pedals which are easier to get out of if you need to bail. But it's all down to setup. If you use Shimano M520s just set them to the loosest setting and you'll soon find yourself easily being able to clip in and out.

One benefit is that when setup properly it keeps your foot in the correct position on the pedal which can increase pedaling efficiency as well as helping to stop cramp in my experience. Personally I would never go back to flats for MTB.
  • Burton
    Burton wrote:
    So would I.

Though i doubt "they" did.

Well I didn't post it, and why would I?
    Don't own any of the kit mentioned and don't want to troll someone's post.

Unlike some who have nothing better to do than make 'helpful' comment.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I have some of the caged SPD's and find them the best compromise. You can unclip and still keep decent contact with the pedal for tricky bits if you need to fling your foot out for balance or catch a fall, but you can clip in and get the benefit of the extra stability and pedalling efficiency when needed.
  • garnib
    garnib Posts: 38
    Burton wrote:

Yes they did it was me sorry for some reason when I log in using Facebook its lets me log in as you , strange ...
    As I use burton as a lot of my gaming and forums name... :(
  • I think SPDs make it easier both technically/physically overall but imo you can't beat the "connection" with the trail
    and bike when riding flats. I made the mistake of riding SPDs solely for years but broke
    my set while away and had to put a m8s spare flats on.. big eye opener for me and I
    found I was having more fun on the trails. If I was racing I'd definitely wear SPDs but just riding with
    my m8's I just find I "ride the trail" more on flats. TBH for the last 2 years I think I ride flats
    most of the time now, if i'm unfit or riding less fun trails i'll put the SPD's on for the physical help they give...
    I get sore feet so flats allow me to change foot position slightly now and again on all day rides
    and I find it more comfortable than a fixed position.

Getting out of SPDs becomes instant so its really not problem, just practice it. Don't be fooled into thinking your
    upgrading to SPDs, actually SPDs let you get away with poor technique and thus poor riding
    wont result in loosing your footing.. but its hard to ignore the obvious efficiency gain with SPDs
    so if your struggling to keep up with your m8s SPDs will help significantly.

So I like both for different reasons but just riding for the pure fun of riding i'd use flats especially when it
    gets really gnarly and rocky you just feel more synchronous with the bike imo.
  • Chunkers1980
    Is an m8 a bolt size?