Lovely ride out today...

2»

Comments

• Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Managed 47 mile around west lothian/falkirk area and then had to call international rescue (g/f) just around harthill anyone who knows there between glasgow & edinburgh it can snow in may also. the snow was chucking it down and the gutters were slushy and then snow started to settle but car drivers were still driving just as fast in poor visibilty. decided that the best place was inside a bus shelter. Are we ever going to get a decent summer ever again ? :cry:

Similar story. I was planning a 50 miler around Perth/ Crieff. It started snowing just as I got to Crieff, managed to plod on till 42 miles, but I eventually gave up. The bottom half of me was soaking wet, I think i still had feet but couldn't feel them. It got to the point i couldn't cycle in a straight line, so pulled over and phoned the missus to come and get me. Spent about 30 minutes just standing in the shower trying to warm up.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    edited March 2013
    Inutero wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Managed 47 mile around west lothian/falkirk area and then had to call international rescue (g/f) just around harthill anyone who knows there between glasgow & edinburgh it can snow in may also. the snow was chucking it down and the gutters were slushy and then snow started to settle but car drivers were still driving just as fast in poor visibilty. decided that the best place was inside a bus shelter. Are we ever going to get a decent summer ever again ? :cry:

Similar story. I was planning a 50 miler around Perth/ Crieff. It started snowing just as I got to Crieff, managed to plod on till 42 miles, but I eventually gave up. The bottom half of me was soaking wet, I think i still had feet but couldn't feel them. It got to the point i couldn't cycle in a straight line, so pulled over and phoned the missus to come and get me. Spent about 30 minutes just standing in the shower trying to warm up.

:D Reminded me years ago got caught in a snowstorm coming over the campsies north of glasgow and was so cold i could not get my clothes off so my mother at the time just said get under the shower with your cycle clothes on :mrgreen:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    smidsy wrote:
    Only an Audaxer would mention (or even know of) Maslow's table of need :-)

Impressive yet insane in equal measures, I have the beard but none of the commitment 8)

We get a lot of time to philosophise on life's diverse challenges!

And, when riding with someone for hours (or days) on end, there's plenty of opportunity to just talk nonsense with each other and right the world's wrongs.

But the stripping back to absolute basics is very life affirming. Saturday night, freezing cold and tired in the middle of the Fens makes you really appreciate how easy life really is for most of us.
  • chazh
    chazh Posts: 33
    AS1968_12 wrote:
    I did the Lionheart. I only carried on because I live and train around there, and know the roads well. I really would recommend the event. It's very well run and has a brilliant atmosphere! See you next year, hopefully with warmer weather!

I did the Lionheart too. My first ever sportive, so something of a baptism of fire (snow?) for me! It was quite surreal riding up the hill out of Longleat in what felt like a blizzard, but eventually conditions improved. The climb up to King Alfred's Tower was a killer, but it was a great event and superbly organised. Just a little chilly...
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    marcusjb wrote:

But the stripping back to absolute basics is very life affirming. Saturday night, freezing cold and tired in the middle of the Fens makes you really appreciate how easy life really is for most of us.

That's exactly what I want out of my riding - have achieved it a few times too! (in other locations though...)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Commuted today - 23 miles each way. Lovely ride in with sleet all the way - shame I had to use my hybrid due to knackered lever. Ride home was drier and less like torture!