Lovely ride out today...

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited March 2013 in Road general
...if you like snow, hail and sleet that is!

Managed 63 miles but the first 30 left my face frozen stiff.

Comments

• Congratulations on getting out. I keep trying to force myself to go out in the cold rain, but I never make it :):)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    It was dry when I set off - can't claim to be too brave!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Good on ya. It was dry when I left the house. Raining and ice raining 10 mins later. CLub run was being paced by a couple of the veteran riders which I find (somewhat selfishly I admit) very frustrating. Cycling along at 13mph in the freezing rain is not for me so I bailed out and TT'd the 8 miles back home, cleaned my bike and then had a bath. The only downside was I had to go to Tesco's for the weekly shop as I was back early.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rodgers73 wrote:

Oh shame! It was nice over in Leeds - 67 miles in the Dales with quite a bit of sunshine and not that cold :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Well I went out today & had a good ride in the conditions....50 mi & 2 large hills which I've never conquered together before (I think the new bike really helps with the hills tbh). Were times where I couldnt feel my fingers or toes but basically enjoyed it. Forced my self to go out cause I wimped out yesterday. Really glad I did.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I did a 45 mile run today, which was largely dry with a rain shower along the way. My route choice was pants though, the roads were absolutely filthy with mud near the farms. I looked like I'd been out on a mountain bike when I got back.

Then there was the small matter of a 25mph headwind on a 10+ mile section that included a number of climbs that I had completely underestimated. At least the wind was at my back for the last 10 miles home. Very tough, probably too tough to be useful as training, so I'll go with something a bit shorter and a bit less climbing next time.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    I did 60 miles yesterday, 20 if which were through snow and freezing conditions. Went though 2 pairs of gloves and my hands were so cold that I couldn't pick up my water bottle, never mind change gear. Couldn't eat anything either, so my legs were cramping up for the last five miles. I can scarcely remember being so cold and miserable. Freezing.

Watching Milan San Remo today was humbling. Conditions were definitely worse there! Oh for a team bus!
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    I did a 45 mile run today, which was largely dry with a rain shower along the way. My route choice was pants though, the roads were absolutely filthy with mud near the farms. I looked like I'd been out on a mountain bike when I got back.

Then there was the small matter of a 25mph headwind on a 10+ mile section that included a number of climbs that I had completely underestimated. At least the wind was at my back for the last 10 miles home. Very tough, probably too tough to be useful as training, so I'll go with something a bit shorter and a bit less climbing next time.

Too tough for training? You want it to hurt, only then does racing get easier.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Went along to the junior heffernan memorial ride yesterday with about 250 others at yelverton and around burrator. Was uplifting to be showing solidarity with so many local riders. There was a poser in full sky hit who turned out to be JTL! And got on the telly. Sad but uplifting. Then home and did another 25 on my own. And then watching the pros struggling at Milan San remo...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I got out in the morning it was okish weather, no rain at least but the club had decided to cancel the ride the night before due to expected adverse weather! Needless to say I couldn't be bothered to go at it on my own so u tunred it back home and back into bed! :lol:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    dindi_boy wrote:
    I did 60 miles yesterday, 20 if which were through snow and freezing conditions. Went though 2 pairs of gloves and my hands were so cold that I couldn't pick up my water bottle, never mind change gear. Couldn't eat anything either, so my legs were cramping up for the last five miles. I can scarcely remember being so cold and miserable. Freezing.
    And we do this for fun!!! Remind me why again sometimes. :?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I went out yesterday morning, about 2 degrees and a mix of rain or sleet for the whole time.

Got home, had a shower and some food and then blue skies and the sun was out for the whole afternoon!! I shouldnt have been so eager!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    Good on ya for not turning back when the going got tough and unpredictable!

You have my respect sir
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    rodgers73 wrote:

(it won't surprise you on the distance!)

281 miles (453km) on Saturday. London to Kirton (near Boston Lincs) to London.

Some of the hardest cycling I have ever done. I've ridden (much) further, I've ridden in worse headwinds, I've ridden in colder conditions and I've ridden in more rain - but the sheer ferocity of the wind, rain and cold on the Lincolnshire fens made it a very hard day indeed. Up there in the top 2 or 3 hardest times out on a bike. I was broken!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    marcusjb wrote:

Some of the hardest cycling I have ever done. I've ridden (much) further, I've ridden in worse headwinds, I've ridden in colder conditions and I've ridden in more rain - but the sheer ferocity of the wind, rain and cold on the Lincolnshire fens made it a very hard day indeed. Up there in the top 2 or 3 hardest times out on a bike. I was broken!

And what did you do in the afternoon?
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    marcusjb wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

I would like to see evidence
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    marcusjb wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Respect, nice write up on your blog.
  • marcusjb
    edited March 2013
    Fevmeister wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

I have no evidence for the grimness of the weather (so you'll have to just believe me I am afraid!) - it really was in the top three harshest rides I have ever done though. The wind across the Fens was insane and when combined with the rain and temperatures bottoming out at 1 degree, it made for really really hard conditions.

But now whatever else I do this season (and I have some much harder rides planned - this would have been an easy 400 without the weather) will be nowhere near as bad - so I can dig into the memory of Saturday and remind myself that I can't quit.

As for the ride - all here - http://app.strava.com/activities/44743865 (that's only for 445km though - the other 8 to and from tube stations once I finished, I didn't bother to log!)

Write up on it here - http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/03/1 ... from-hell/
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    I attempted a ride, Lionhert Sportive, first they cancelled the 100m route so 60m only due to weather, then when I set off with my brother the snow became so bad that after 4.5miles we turned back and went home. Limited visibility, snow on the road, unknown roads and bigger goals later in the year meant that the riak just wasn't worth it!
    Did anybody do the ride yesterday?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    marcusjb wrote:
    Fevmeister wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

I have no evidence for the grimness of the weather (so you'll have to just believe me I am afraid!) - it really was in the top three harshest rides I have ever done though. The wind across the Fens was insane and when combined with the rain and temperatures bottoming out at 1 degree, it made for really really hard conditions.

But now whatever else I do this season (and I have some much harder rides planned - this would have been an easy 400 without the weather) will be nowhere near as bad - so I can dig into the memory of Saturday and remind myself that I can't quit.

As for the ride - all here - http://app.strava.com/activities/44743865 (that's only for 445km though - the other 8 to and from tube stations once I finished, I didn't bother to log!)

Write up on it here - http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/03/1 ... from-hell/
    What a stunning ride and kudos to you sir.amazing.
    To the bloke who wanted evidence..read it and weep you tit.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Only a mad man would ride that far and go to Boston :-)

What was there that you needed to see?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marcusjb
    smidsy wrote:
    Only a mad man would ride that far and go to Boston :-)

What was there that you needed to see?

The aim for the ride was to ride the last couple of hundred km of the London Edinburgh London route - and Kirton (up near Boston) is a control town on the LEL event in July - so I rode up there to turn around and come home.

Interesting part of the world that I've hardly ever been to before. Not a lot to see! There's literally 100km of my gps track where I didn't go above 6 metres altitude (and also, due to the wind, my maximum speed for that 100km was a whopping great 27.7 kph!).

I can't say I am looking forward to that section on LEL - but I hope that it won't be quite as grim as it was on Saturday.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    fair play indeed...but to be clear you are as mad as a box of frogs!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • marcusjb
    speshsteve wrote:

Oh, I'm pretty mild by audax standards - you should read some tales from the real hard men and women of the sport.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Very impressive. And i thought the 42 mile i did today is similair but flatter conditions was tough :D
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    marcusjb wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

Oh, I'm pretty mild by audax standards - you should read some tales from the real hard men and women of the sport.

Have you got any links/blogs, I would like to read more of this madness
  • marcusjb
    binsted wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

Have you got any links/blogs, I would like to read more of this madness

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=17.0

The main hang-out for audaxers.

Read any ride report from teethgrinder (an audax legend), marcus (not me - a far more hardcore Marcus!)

Some good examples of mad rides:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topi ... 3#msg87873
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topi ... msg1322948
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topi ... #msg986018

There are many others - some unsuccessful attempts at really crazy things (teethgrinder tried to ride 3 different very hard 1000km rides in 3 weekends and failed on the last one).

450km was my longest solo ride yet - and actually wasn't too bad in terms of the boredom - I didn't even listen to my iPod (I often do on the night sections). I think I had plenty of issues to keep me entertained and my mind off the solitude.

In a sport where suffering is idolised (almost fetishised), audax can really top the tree for high quality misery and pain. We really know how to take our minds and bodies to some very dark places! It's actually something I really like about distance riding - we live such comfortable lives, wanting for little - to suddenly be in a situation where everything is taken away, you've got your bike and your clothing - no shelter, no warmth and a torrential rain storm is nearly freezing you. It takes you right back down to the bottom of Maslow's triangle!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Only an Audaxer would mention (or even know of) Maslow's table of need :-)

Impressive yet insane in equal measures, I have the beard but none of the commitment 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • AS1968_12
    AS1968_12 Posts: 25
    I did the Lionheart. I only carried on because I live and train around there, and know the roads well. I really would recommend the event. It's very well run and has a brilliant atmosphere! See you next year, hopefully with warmer weather!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Managed 47 mile around west lothian/falkirk area and then had to call international rescue (g/f) just around harthill anyone who knows there between glasgow & edinburgh it can snow in may also. the snow was chucking it down and the gutters were slushy and then snow started to settle but car drivers were still driving just as fast in poor visibilty. decided that the best place was inside a bus shelter. Are we ever going to get a decent summer ever again ? :cry: