Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Winter/wet bike

stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get a second bike to use for wet and winter riding.
got about £800 max.
what would you suggest?
looking at the Trek 1.2 compact.
or would i get more for my money building one up.

Thanks
«1

Posts

  • pkripperpkripper Posts: 652
    Spesh allez or giant defy
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    do they have eyelets for mudguards?
  • smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Bearing in mind you come from Ayr, would this not become your main bike?
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    Bearing in mind you come from Ayr, would this not become your main bike?

    i am only in ayr for university and finishing in june.
    And then moving to preston.
  • infopeteinfopete Posts: 878
    The Ribble Sportive 365 starts at 879 quid and with 10% off this weekend will come into your price range.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

    http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

    The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    infopete wrote:
    The Ribble Sportive 365 starts at 879 quid and with 10% off this weekend will come into your price range.

    looks nice :) i've currently got a ribble evo pro-carbon.
  • thegreatdividethegreatdivide Posts: 5,625
    IMO you should buy a second hand bike. If it's going to be the wet/winter bike it's going to be used and abused.
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,425
    Ribble winter trainer. You'll fit in with everyone else from Preston who seems to ride one this time of year? Genesis Equilibriums are good winter trainers. The alu Boardmans?

    Main thing is that you have long drop brakes (unless you disc of course) to allow for decent tyre / guard clearances. Also frame fittings for full guards of course.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    stinger53 wrote:
    do they have eyelets for mudguards?

    In the case of the Defy, yes.
  • Carrera Virtuoso, it has eyelets for guards, and is under budget. Does the job nicely with cash to spare. Also, not many people will try to steal one since they are a Halfords job.
  • stinger53 wrote:
    do they have eyelets for mudguards?
    The Alex does, we'll mine does
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    cheers everyone. will have a look at them all and try them
  • bobonesbobones Posts: 1,198
    I got a new 2011 Trek 1.5 frameset last January for £150 and built it up with stuff I had and some I bought. I've put about 4k miles on it since then and it's a superb winter/wet bike: very smooth, versatile and looks great. Fits full SKS mudguards no problem. I think the 1.2 would be a very good choice, but the 10 speed drive train of the 1.5 might be worth the extra. This is the first of a few articles on this blog about the Trek winter bike. http://girodilento.com/the-trek-1-5-a-b ... nter-bike/
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Tifosi CK7's are meant to be good. MIght be able to get a deal brining it under budget. They are usually about £840.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • luv2rideluv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the Tifosi CK7. I got a 2nd hand frame, forks, headset and Miche Performance long drop brakes. Built it up with spare wheels (Ritchey DS pro from an old Boardman I had), a new SRAM Apex groupset and bits and piecs I had lying about. Only spent 585 quid on the frame set and groupset combined. Takes 25mm tyres with full SKS Chromoplastic guards.

    Bike is a cracking ride, and has got a lot of use since building it last October. Sorting out a wet weather/winter bike was one of the best bike-related decisions I've made.

    If you can get a new one with Campag Veloce I'd go for it, otherwise try and get a frame set which will take 25mm tyres and guards and build something yourself, I doubt you'd regret it.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    cheers all. will have a look at them all. might be able to go over 800 depending on how much my kite surfing kit sells for
  • danlikesbikesdanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I have a kinesis as my winter bike & built up with mixture of new/second hand parts and came in under your budget, a good bike for the money & not to bling if your worried about it when its locked up outside.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    stinger53 wrote:
    Bearing in mind you come from Ayr, would this not become your main bike?

    i am only in ayr for university and finishing in june.
    And then moving to preston.

    Quality. So you move from one rainy place to another :lol:

    Mudguards will be your friend 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    smidsy wrote:
    stinger53 wrote:
    Bearing in mind you come from Ayr, would this not become your main bike?

    i am only in ayr for university and finishing in june.
    And then moving to preston.

    Quality. So you move from one rainy place to another :lol:

    Mudguards will be your friend 8)

    hehe. yer mudguards are needed :lol:
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,425
    smidsy wrote:
    stinger53 wrote:
    Bearing in mind you come from Ayr, would this not become your main bike?

    i am only in ayr for university and finishing in june.
    And then moving to preston.

    Quality. So you move from one rainy place to another :lol:

    Mudguards will be your friend 8)

    In fairness you could say that of the Western half of the UK!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • infopeteinfopete Posts: 878
    stinger53 wrote:
    infopete wrote:
    The Ribble Sportive 365 starts at 879 quid and with 10% off this weekend will come into your price range.

    looks nice :) i've currently got a ribble evo pro-carbon.

    It is very nice. I've done a few hundred miles on mine and I really enjoy it.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

    http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

    The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    infopete wrote:
    stinger53 wrote:
    infopete wrote:
    The Ribble Sportive 365 starts at 879 quid and with 10% off this weekend will come into your price range.

    looks nice :) i've currently got a ribble evo pro-carbon.

    It is very nice. I've done a few hundred miles on mine and I really enjoy it.

    yeh may get one. just depends on if my kitesurfing kit sells
  • ratsbeyfusratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Get a cross-bike for your winter bike. More versatile.


    I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

    @ratsbey
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Get a cross-bike for your winter bike. More versatile.

    I was thinking that as i used to MTB and a cross bike would allow me to do some basic stuff off road.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tifosi CK7's can be had for £800. I should know I sell them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tifosi CK7's can be had for £800. I should know I sell them. The reason why I have gone for them they are the best wet weather bike on the market for the money. The only thing they would benefit from is better tyres like Gator skins or similar but goes for every sub £1500-2000 (RRP) I have seen.

    The nice about the CK7 is that is comes with mdgard and there is clearance for 25mm tyres under them (I spec them with these) and it has rack mounts. It also looks good which is a bonus and the Miche hubs never seem to die.

    Give a tifosi dealer your money rather than Ribble.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stinger53stinger53 Posts: 135
    i like the look of http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/New_Bik ... ross_.html

    if i go for a cyclocross n if i save up a little more
  • Gazzetta67Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Luv2ride wrote:
    +1 for the Tifosi CK7. I got a 2nd hand frame, forks, headset and Miche Performance long drop brakes. Built it up with spare wheels (Ritchey DS pro from an old Boardman I had), a new SRAM Apex groupset and bits and piecs I had lying about. Only spent 585 quid on the frame set and groupset combined. Takes 25mm tyres with full SKS Chromoplastic guards.

    Bike is a cracking ride, and has got a lot of use since building it last October. Sorting out a wet weather/winter bike was one of the best bike-related decisions I've made.

    If you can get a new one with Campag Veloce I'd go for it, otherwise try and get a frame set which will take 25mm tyres and guards and build something yourself, I doubt you'd regret it.

    +2 for the Tifosi CK7, Deda Black rain forks with mudguard eyelets great frame for the price. use Conti 25s also wont take anything bigger.
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,425
    Cross bike here, you can fit wider tyres in it, looks nice & cracking value: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... oss-pro-12

    The new 2013 version has discs. Around 850 I think.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,551
    Have you considered doing a build yourself?

    I've recently bought a Forme Longcliffe frame off Fleabay from Paul Milnes Cycles. £199 for a decent alu frame with full mudguard eyelets and carbon forks/alu steerer. Link to their web page here:-

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/forme-longcli ... 257ac11e5e

    Just assembling the parts to start the build but you could easily get a decent winter bike for under your budget if you shop around for the required drivetrain/ wheels etc. I'm guessing my build will come in at under £600.

    FYI there was a 2nd-hand Longcliffe on offer in the classifieds a month or so back so here is the link to give you an idea of how it might look when finished.

    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12904781

    As a disclaimer I have no link to Paul Milnes Cycles other than having had a good buying experience
Sign In or Register to comment.