HR spiked to 220 today..now a tad worried..

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
On my ride today was giong up a local hill (cat 3) and as I always ride to my Hr monitor when it got to 160bpm which is my cut off and at that point I back of untill it drops a bit,Today did same thing then it crept up to 173 which is highest i,ve ever seen and I felt something in my chest like a bump or something(lasted about 1-2 seconds max) then looked at my hr monitor and it was on 220.I Stopped straight away and and within a sec or 2 it was back to 172 then quickly down to 160 then 150.Then i started to walk and it went down to 140 so i got back on bike and finished hill where it idnt go over 150 and got home ok.Back in the house within minutes was down below 90 then below 70,which is all normal post ride stuff.
I did think was maybe a monitor glitch but as it coincided with a feeling in my chest I believe its genuine.
At the time I was breathing hard and bit of sweat on which is normal on a hill for me .
Any one got any ideas what this is and should I be worried.
This is a seriuos concern so no smart arse replies wanted,tks. :
ps..didnt feel any pain or discomfort at the time,but did go dizzy when i blew my nose once i was home.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    It happened to me not long ago, spiked up to near that - about the same duration. Then down again really quickly.

I sometimes get palpitations, but i think it's down to stress and the shite i eat on the bike, i've moved over to more natural products, and i've got to say i dont have them as of yet. But it's too early to tell.

I had a excessive HR episode about a month or so back, constantly up at around 180 for 30 minutes. I stood up and it got higher, so i decided to stay seated with my legs up to prevent and higher HR. I tried to control my breathing and not get worried as it'll get worse.

No one knows why it happened.

I'm only 22 as well!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    The thing about this sort of thing, especially if you're anything like me, is that you'll now worry whenever you go out to ride, and it will eat away at your enjoyment.

If I were you, I'd get an appointment with my GP in the first instance, and ask for a) a referral to a cardiologist and b) both a resting and an exercise ECG.

It may be nothing, it may be something. Ignorance (ie not knowing), however, is curable, and ignoring something as important as one's heart is extremely stupid IMO.

Spookily enough, I started riding with a HRM yesterday, since my Edge 800 arrived the other day. I set off for my normal trip round the park, and within the first half mile, just as I went over a slight incline, my HR went zooming up to 205 - I happened to look down at the screen and saw it. I put it down to a glitch, since I felt perfectly normal in all respects, but on the trace it was clearly up there for several seconds.

It then came down, and didn't go much above 160 even on the hard hills.

As reference, my resting HR is about 48, and when I'm practically blowing a gasket up the steepest hills, it's about 160 or a bit more. I think I'm about your age (I turned 50 last November).

I have to have an ECG (only a resting one) every two years anyway, and over the last ten years there's been nothing untoward in them, so I'm fairly confident I'm Ok. Occasionally I can feel momentary irregularities in my heart rhythm, but they tend to coincide with extreme stress and tiredness, and aren't all that uncommon apparently.

Even so, I'm minded to get an exercise ECG done myself, now that I'm starting to push harder on longer rides.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    If you resting HR is that low you most likely have a good level of fitness so you may wish to question whether you sensor lost contact and produced a duff reading. It's very unusual to jump from 160 to 220 without you feeling the exertion. I'm a similar age to you to record similar stats.

It's happened to me a few times in spin classes, even during the warm up when I know my HR was nowhere near 200+.

If you felt any kind of pain or light headedness then suggest you go to GP and get it checked out.
  • chrisaonabike
    SoSimple wrote:
    If you resting HR is that low you most likely have a good level of fitness so you may wish to question whether you sensor lost contact and produced a duff reading.
    Yes, I'm inclining to that view too. Although Strava and Garmin both recorded the same max HR, the traces are a bit different, and the Garmin one which shows the higher max on the trace only shows it pretty briefly - I might have been wrong about the several seconds.

Even so, if Elderone felt anything strange during his episode, I think it's definitely worth getting it checked out properly by a cardiologist with all the gear - not just a quick listen by the GP and a "it's probably nothing - come back if it happens again".

Much better to have all the tests and they come back negative, than have something go badly wrong and end up in intensive care or worse.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Were you near powerlines etc? Could be interference, which can still be disconcerting the first time it happens. Get checked out and do a proper ramp test and you'll never find yourself worried again. In time you will get a better idea of effort on feel. When I started in the 1970's it was all done by what gear you could turn, which is still a good proxy.

I've never made the switch to power, but its a good idea to listen to your body especially if you feel tired. Rule of thumb is that most people ride too hard most of the time, but not hard enough to get really fast. Obree is great on this.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Get it checked out, exercise induced tachycardia can cause sudden deaths, so it's better to be safe than sorry on this one.
  • elderone
    Cheers Chris,im 50 next month.Also my resting heart rate is about 48 ish in the morning and about 55-60 just chilling of an evening.
    thinking back my breathing was heavier than normal but not out of breathe or struggling any more than normal.
    Due to a history of heart problems in the family,my father had a quad by pass at 51 and my brother died at 50 with a heart attack its a worry,and like you said,next ride will be just spoilt with worry.After my brothers death I went to a cardiiologist and did all the tests and they were fine so no need not to exercise.But I wont deny this has me worried and my wife of 31 years is already saying thats it..so will go docs and go from there.

Not near power lines,its a hill 5mins from home so know it well.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    SoSimple wrote:
    If you resting HR is that low you most likely have a good level of fitness so you may wish to question whether you sensor lost contact and produced a duff reading. It's very unusual to jump from 160 to 220 without you feeling the exertion. I'm a similar age to you to record similar stats.

It's happened to me a few times in spin classes, even during the warm up when I know my HR was nowhere near 200+.

If you felt any kind of pain or light headedness then suggest you go to GP and get it checked out.

^^ This. I would suspect it was a duff reading but go and see your quack anyway. Have you been called in for an "MOT" recently as round here they were calling in guys our age to get checked over?
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    As reference, my resting HR is about 48, and when I'm practically blowing a gasket up the steepest hills, it's about 160 or a bit more. I think I'm about your age (I turned 50 last November).

Are you exceptionally fit? I'm 28 and have only been riding road for the last 10 months or so. I tried an HRM for the first time the other week and mine peaked at 182 and although the average is 150, if I just look at the time spent without having to stop for traffic lights etc it's probably around 170 just going around Richmond Park.
  • elderone
    TOM14S wrote:
    Thanks for the link,the cardio guy was pretty spot on.
  • chrisaonabike
    Prhymeate wrote:
    As reference, my resting HR is about 48, and when I'm practically blowing a gasket up the steepest hills, it's about 160 or a bit more.

Are you exceptionally fit?
    I wish :D

No, I just can't seem to go any faster up the hills than produces a HR of about 160. My legs burn with lactate, and I start to feel a little strange if I push myself further into discomfort.

Three times round Richmond Park (clockwise) going moderately hard takes me 1:17:30 or thereabouts, if that's any reference, although I expect I could go a bit quicker if a) I pushed harder and b) didn't have to get there first.

How fast do you go round? You may be miles faster than me, hence the higher average HR.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    if you have an exceptionally high number can you not just stop and check you pulse the old analogue way to rule out any technology problems?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I wish :D

No, I just can't seem to go any faster up the hills than produces a HR of about 160. My legs burn with lactate, and I start to feel a little strange if I push myself further into discomfort.

Three times round Richmond Park (clockwise) going moderately hard takes me 1:17:30 or thereabouts, if that's any reference, although I expect I could go a bit quicker if a) I pushed harder and b) didn't have to get there first.

How fast do you go round? You may be miles faster than me, hence the higher average HR.

Oh ok. My anti-clockwise laps are usually 22-23mins, like you I could go a bit faster but not much. I haven't recorded any going clockwise yet.
  • What sort of heart rates are considered 'normal' when out riding. My average seems to be about 170 which seems quite high but I don't feel like I'm constantly out of breath or anything. I am a bit overweight but my fitness has improved no end over the last 6 months.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i get heart palpatations couple times a year when it will shoot up to around the 220 area, it can last for few secs to a few minutes and like pressing a switch its gone. Each time its happened ive been worried sick and went to the docs. He just passes it off as a very common thing and sends me on my way.

Ive not dropped down dead yet fingers crossed. But it is very worrying at the time. Definatley go to your doctor if anything it will atleast ease the worry.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I put it down to a glitch, since I felt perfectly normal in all respects, but on the trace it was clearly up there for several seconds.

It then came down, and didn't go much above 160 even on the hard hills.
    It's quite common to see events like this at the start of a ride due to the wind and a poor connection between the strap and your chest. This ride, http://app.strava.com/activities/42555137 shows a good example near the start. The OP's event sounds like it needs at least a query to a medical professional.
    What sort of heart rates are considered 'normal' when out riding.
    There are no rules. If you are healthy then I think you cannot hurt yourself with heart rates. Graze a bit of Strava and you will find all sorts.

Paul
  • chrisaonabike
    paul2718 wrote:
    What sort of heart rates are considered 'normal' when out riding.
    There are no rules. If you are healthy then I think you cannot hurt yourself with heart rates.
    That's a huge if. I doubt if anyone thought there was anything wrong with Fabrice Muamba before he collapsed.

I mean, obviously, statistically, most people do not have undiagnosed heart problems, so not many people die through exertion.

But it's a bummer if you're the one, and if there are any unexplained symptoms of anything strange, IMO they should be checked out.
  • paul2718
    There are no symptoms of anything strange reported in the post I replied to.

Paul
  • chrisaonabike
    paul2718 wrote:
    There are no symptoms of anything strange reported in the post I replied to.
    Yes, one of the quotes there was mine, and I don't think we disagree.

I was just pointing out that without checking (and possibly not even then) it's impossible to know if you're healthy until it's too late.

In my case in the "old fart but still in denial with respect to the ageing process" category, I wouldn't want to take the chance of assuming that the mild but increasing distress I feel as I push my HR beyond about 165 (other than briefly) can do me no harm. I think our bodies tell us things sometimes that we're ill-advised to ignore.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    elderone wrote:
    This is a seriuos concern so no smart ars* replies wanted,tks. :

You're concerned enough to ask non-experts on the internetz ? Sounds like you want an ECG.
  • elderone
    slowsider wrote:
    elderone wrote:

You're concerned enough to ask non-experts on the internetz ? Sounds like you want an ECG.
    Useful..
    I wasn,t asking for a diagnosis as gospel or anything,i,m not that dull.I just wondered if any one of the many many cyclists on here had any thing similar happen.As for smart arse coments,that was aimed at the mtfu type replies and also if you read the whole thread there was a link to another thread where a cardiologist actully replied and made good sense.Would I risk my life on it,no chance but the replies do seem to point to Svt.How ever nothing said here will stop me visiting my gp but there is no harm in asking on a post.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I mean, obviously, statistically, most people do not have undiagnosed heart problems, so not many people die through exertion.

True - infact it is about 10% of the population that have a heart condition of some sort the vast majority of which are not diagnosed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    elderone wrote:
    slowsider wrote:
    elderone wrote:

Useful..
    I wasn,t asking for a diagnosis as gospel or anything,i,m not that dull.I just wondered if any one of the many many cyclists on here had any thing similar happen.As for smart ars* coments,that was aimed at the mtfu type replies and also if you read the whole thread there was a link to another thread where a cardiologist actully replied and made good sense.Would I risk my life on it,no chance but the replies do seem to point to Svt.How ever nothing said here will stop me visiting my gp but there is no harm in asking on a post.

But in truth, any one of the many many cyclists on here are not you, with your own personal health history, genetics and peculiarities.

However, would you have been as worried without a HRM to view :)
  • elderone
    slowsider wrote:
    elderone wrote:
    slowsider wrote:
    elderone wrote:

Useful..
    I wasn,t asking for a diagnosis as gospel or anything,i,m not that dull.I just wondered if any one of the many many cyclists on here had any thing similar happen.As for smart ars* coments,that was aimed at the mtfu type replies and also if you read the whole thread there was a link to another thread where a cardiologist actully replied and made good sense.Would I risk my life on it,no chance but the replies do seem to point to Svt.How ever nothing said here will stop me visiting my gp but there is no harm in asking on a post.

But in truth, any one of the many many cyclists on here are not you, with your own personal health history, genetics and peculiarities.

However, would you have been as worried without a HRM to view :)
    In a word,yes.As i said I felt something at the same time.Any way doc,s booked so will see from there.
  • paul2718
    I was just pointing out that without checking (and possibly not even then) it's impossible to know if you're healthy until it's too late.
    I'm not at all sure that a GP, in the absence of other symptoms or indications, will be able to tell any better than you yourself whether you have an intrinisic problem.
    In my case in the "old fart but still in denial with respect to the ageing process" category, I wouldn't want to take the chance of assuming that the mild but increasing distress I feel as I push my HR beyond about 165 (other than briefly) can do me no harm. I think our bodies tell us things sometimes that we're ill-advised to ignore.
    Do what you feel is right. But I wouldn't be surprised if, as you get fitter, your tolerance of higher outputs rises.

The proper medical literature suggests that heartrate recovery is a good metric for mortality, rapid drops are healthier. Worth a google. So if your HR drops rapidly when you cease the effort that's good, hanging on at a high rate is a sign of issues. This is something we can all get a feel for in the course of exercise.

Paul
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    Hmm, I had something similar happen to this yesterday although I can 100% verify it was a glitch not a true reading.

Switched on my Garmin.. Beep cadence detected.. beep HR monitor detected.. Did my ride bit of hill training..

Come home and uploaded the data.. MAX HR 250! When i analyzed the information though it was right at the start of the ride so no chance it ever hit this figure.

For the record though my Heart Rate is quite often between 150 - 180 (average 160 i would say).

It never bothers me around that area as my fitness is pretty good even before i got my Road Bike. You have got me thinking though with saying your cut off point is 160.

That said i guess its all relative depending on the individual with lots of factors to include. (im 30 so hopefully i shouldnt be too concerned about 160)
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I had this phenomenom when I started using a HR monitor but found that if I soaked the strap properly before the ride then the issue went away. The straps do rely on a good contact so the problem usually occurs at the start of people's rides when they have not built up a sweat yet.
  • elderone
    thanks for replies guys.
    Sancho my 160 cut off is my own personel thing as when i get there I think thats high enough and let it drop a bit.
    At that rate I feel no effects or anything its just how I pace myself and that way I guess im in control to some degree.

Bobbinogs,thats quite true,but I was 23 miles in and quite sweaty.
  • HR is different for everyone. I have a buddy with some heart problems who can sprint for a good distance and still have 130BPM. I climb at around 170BPM without problems. I would say just go by feel.

It could also have been that your watch or belt caught a reading from someone else or the signal messed up for a little bit. I've had that happen plenty of times, and it was never something serious. I've also had problems with my old HRM picking up signals from buddies that were riding with me, that was always interesting to see when I would have pulse of 120 when I know I was around 160!