halfords £200 road bike

2

Posts

  • Omar LittleOmar Little Posts: 2,040
    Probably wont be great but it will at least be useable whereas the cheap "full suspension" mountain bikes in the same price range that shops push (and people seem keen to buy) are awful things and will put far more people off cycling than onto it. A basic road bike should be much more enjoyable to ride.

    Think decathlon had the right idea a couple of years ago with that orange bike they sold for about £80 - singlespeed, flat bars, very basic but reliable, not too heavy, and good value for money. Alot of people no doubt turned their noses up at it though because it didnt have suspension and gears and ended up with a much worse bike as a result.
  • notnotnotnot Posts: 284
    Yes - really stupid trend to add full suspension to sub £100 mountain bikes. Not robust enough to ride anywhere you'd *need* full sus, and horrible to ride a bike with bad full sus on the roads. At least previous fashions for cheap bikes left you with something quite usable to ride around town on (I know, I've used them)

    Singlespeed, though... Only a good idea if you're in somewhere that's flat enough!
  • cookeeemonstercookeeemonster Posts: 1,959
    Probably wont be great but it will at least be useable whereas the cheap "full suspension" mountain bikes in the same price range that shops push (and people seem keen to buy) are awful things and will put far more people off cycling than onto it. A basic road bike should be much more enjoyable to ride.

    Think decathlon had the right idea a couple of years ago with that orange bike they sold for about £80 - singlespeed, flat bars, very basic but reliable, not too heavy, and good value for money. Alot of people no doubt turned their noses up at it though because it didnt have suspension and gears and ended up with a much worse bike as a result.

    my £90 Tesco mountain bike lasted exactly 11 rides (around 110ish miles in total) before it became unrideable...and about 5 rides before problems started to surface.

    but...I got a full refund which I put towards a much better bike, and it was good enough to get me into cycling without the other half moaning about how much I'd spent :)

    basically bikes at that level are for people riding a couple of miles max to or around the local park every few weekends in the summer. Luckily by the time i got this bike I'd been warned by friends of the difference between bikes at this price range and more expensive ones, and had even ridden one (sooooo much better than the tesco cheapie, suprisingly ;) )
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    At what point would it not work as well? £150? £100? £50? £14.99?

    You tell me! You seem to be the type that has a minimum threshold when it comes to spending money on a road bike. What is your cutoff point and why?

    If the bike rolls well and generally works like a roadbike should, then I'd be happy to pay 99p for it even if the gear levers were twist grips!!

    Here we go again lol, so I am 'that type'.
    If 'that type' means I can afford some nice stuff if I want it, then yes I am.
    I can afford a nice bike and nice kit. Most people can, they just choose to spend it on other things.
    To use my brother as an example, he would baulk at what my bike cost, but happily spend that on fags each year!

    As to threshold, it would depend on what the bike was for and then it would be a rough amount.
    For myself, for a road bike to use for sportives etc. I would say about £1000 if we are talking new/list price. Anything above £500 would be fine, but below that generally becoming questionable.

    I generally have a 'threshold' for most things, below which alarm bells start ringing. Its not because I am a snob, its because experience has taught me that if its too cheap its probably censored and a waste of money. Thats not to say I will not check it out, it might be a great deal.

    I did not have a go at the Halfords bike and do not agree with the tone of the OP's post. In fact I had a dig at him for making it!
    That said, I would not buy it and cannot see how it would be a good idea for anyone to if I am honest.

    Its no good saying you would buy/ride a 99p bike, they do not exist! Every bike will 'roll good' and 'ride like a bike' It would have to to be sold in the UK.
    So basically you are saying you would be happy to have the cheapest, heaviest piece of junk sold in the UK and think you will have a good time on it without any problems?

    You are just using this thread to have a go at people.
    I assumed you would think that in the real world a say £50 bike would be pants, but I guess not.
    If you do not think that any bike sold in the UK is censored , then forgive me if I cannot take your opinion of the Halfords one seriously!
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    At what point would it not work as well? £150? £100? £50? £14.99?

    You tell me! You seem to be the type that has a minimum threshold when it comes to spending money on a road bike. What is your cutoff point and why?

    If the bike rolls well and generally works like a roadbike should, then I'd be happy to pay 99p for it even if the gear levers were twist grips!!

    Here we go again lol, so I am 'that type'.
    If 'that type' means I can afford some nice stuff if I want it, then yes I am.
    I can afford a nice bike and nice kit. Most people can, they just choose to spend it on other things.
    To use my brother as an example, he would baulk at what my bike cost, but happily spend that on fags each year!

    As to threshold, it would depend on what the bike was for and then it would be a rough amount.
    For myself, for a road bike to use for sportives etc. I would say about £1000 if we are talking new/list price. Anything above £500 would be fine, but below that generally becoming questionable.

    I generally have a 'threshold' for most things, below which alarm bells start ringing. Its not because I am a snob, its because experience has taught me that if its too cheap its probably censored and a waste of money. Thats not to say I will not check it out, it might be a great deal.

    I did not have a go at the Halfords bike and do not agree with the tone of the OP's post. In fact I had a dig at him for making it!
    That said, I would not buy it and cannot see how it would be a good idea for anyone to if I am honest.

    Its no good saying you would buy/ride a 99p bike, they do not exist! Every bike will 'roll good' and 'ride like a bike' It would have to to be sold in the UK.
    So basically you are saying you would be happy to have the cheapest, heaviest piece of junk sold in the UK and think you will have a good time on it without any problems?

    You are just using this thread to have a go at people.
    I assumed you would think that in the real world a say £50 bike would be pants, but I guess not.
    If you do not think that any bike sold in the UK is censored , then forgive me if I cannot take your opinion of the Halfords one seriously!

    The thread is about a £200 road bike. No-one gives a censored what you can afford.

    It's perfectly suited to someone without a great deal of spare cash who wants to have a go at road cycling, but isn't committed enough to spend £500 - £1000 on a bike.

    "experience has taught me that if its too cheap its probably censored and a waste of money". It's not probably censored for a beginner (who it is clearly aimed at) - it's probably a little bit clunkier than a £500 bike. Any bike - £200 or £2000 - will be a waste of money if it's not used. It's perfect for a beginner to buy and then upgrade from if they're still using their bike regularly in a year's time.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799

    The thread is about a £200 road bike. No-one gives a censored what you can afford.

    It's perfectly suited to someone without a great deal of spare cash who wants to have a go at road cycling, but isn't committed enough to spend £500 - £1000 on a bike.

    "experience has taught me that if its too cheap its probably censored and a waste of money". It's not probably censored for a beginner (who it is clearly aimed at) - it's probably a little bit clunkier than a £500 bike. Any bike - £200 or £2000 - will be a waste of money if it's not used. It's perfect for a beginner to buy and then upgrade from if they're still using their bike regularly in a year's time.

    I know what the thread is about although it seems that no one is allowed to comment on the bike unless they think it is great!

    It certainly sounds like you are affected by what I can afford lol Not that I even really mentioned anything!
    What I did say was only said in reply to what I quoted.

    The £500-£1000 figure I mentioned was in answer to the question I was asked and not anything to do with someone wanting to try out road cycling!

    Why do you think this bike is 'perfect' for someone without a lot of cash to have a go at road cycling?
    If I knew such a guy I would find a much better option for him, not just send him down to Halfords to get whatever they had knocked up for £200.
    I do not know anything about this bike but I am pretty sure it would not be the best option. Some of the reasons have already been mentioned, but there are others.

    I'll say it again. I do not agree with the OP's tone in starting this thread and the thread is now being used to have a go at people spending a completely normal amount of money on bikes etc.

    Any negative comments about this bike are more likely supporting someone with little cash getting into cycling than having a laugh at them.
  • goonzgoonz Posts: 3,106
    Blimey this thread is a good example of people sharing a common interest but still being poles apart lol!

    Ease up on the animosity guys!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • wod1wod1 Posts: 61
    Well my Carrera TDF was only £320. Did 3000+ miles in the first year, no issues with the bike, love it, not upgraded any kit on it, just starting to need some tlc new tyres. I am not sure when I might go for a new bike but not looking for a £2000 bike yet!
  • fsmanfsman Posts: 112
    +1 for the Triban 3 - I jut got one this weekend as my commuter bike. Can't fault it for the month. And it comes with a 5yr frame guarantee, 2 yrs parts and free 6month service
  • Beckers62Beckers62 Posts: 66
    About 11 years ago I bought my first road bike, well the 1st one I had bought since passing my driving test 30+ years earlier

    At the time, I was a very keen mountain biker... but I fancied a dabble with the "darkside"

    I spent £150 at Halfords... (to be fair it was reduced from £225)

    My MTB at the time stood me in at £2.5k

    My point? .... some people should get some perspective
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    Carbonator wrote:
    You are just using this thread to have a go at people.
    I assumed you would think that in the real world a say £50 bike would be pants, but I guess not.
    If you do not think that any bike sold in the UK is censored , then forgive me if I cannot take your opinion of the Halfords one seriously!

    You've missed my point entirely. The OP asked what's the point about cheapo bikes? The 'point' is some people are not made of money and may only be able to afford such bikes. At the end of the day you can buy a road bike from Tesco for £125, and if that's all someone can afford then they are getting a bottom of the range road bike but it's still a road bike!!

    Myself, I could go out and blow £2500 on a bike if I wanted to. But I think it would be an unjust squandering of money in my circumstances. So I bought one for £300, and guess what - my bike that is 'questionable' to you gets me about as good as any Pinarello I've seen, albeit just that bit slower due to a few extra kg's!
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,534
    My Opinion - Halford sell some fantastic bikes - I have a Boardman that has done over 4000 miles and still love it, want to buy a Boardman CX and MTB FS but wouldnt get clearance for any more bikes right now...

    Carrera are also great - great value but also pretty good bikes - the TDF would be a great bike for around £300-£350. I think I would plump for the BTwin Red from Decathlon for £300 in preference but loads of people ride the TDF happily.

    I wouldnt touch Apollo with a barge pole though - all the ones I have seen are heavy and poor spec - well worth spending a little more to get a quality bike in my opinion, rather than waste your money on a poor one that you wont want to ride.

    After 20 years passed since cycling as a teenager, I got back into cycling on a Giant Sedona in 2008, which cost me £180 and I still have and love it - although I dont ride it because I have better bikes now. This bike, despite being cheap, made me rediscover the joy and I was amazed how light it was compared to the steel bikes I remembered from growing up. Of course I can now see how heavy it is compared to better bikes, how low the spec is and the quill stem needed tightening every now and then, but its still fun to ride. In 2008, you got more for your money than you do today though... It would be a good pub bike and I often consider using it to commute, rather than fear the theft of my decent bikes - but then I think that if I have a decent bike I should ride it and live with the fear.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    I'm seriously thinking about getting this to use exclusively as a turbo trainer bike. Does anyone know of any reason why this might not be suitable?

    http://www.tesco.com/direct/vertigo-pic ... 06#reviews

    211-7006_PI_TPS1017278?wid=250&hei=250&$Detail$
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    edited March 2013
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    You are just using this thread to have a go at people.
    I assumed you would think that in the real world a say £50 bike would be pants, but I guess not.
    If you do not think that any bike sold in the UK is censored , then forgive me if I cannot take your opinion of the Halfords one seriously!

    You've missed my point entirely. The OP asked what's the point about cheapo bikes? The 'point' is some people are not made of money and may only be able to afford such bikes. At the end of the day you can buy a road bike from Tesco for £125, and if that's all someone can afford then they are getting a bottom of the range road bike but it's still a road bike!!

    Myself, I could go out and blow £2500 on a bike if I wanted to. But I think it would be an unjust squandering of money in my circumstances. So I bought one for £300, and guess what - my bike that is 'questionable' to you gets me about as good as any Pinarello I've seen, albeit just that bit slower due to a few extra kg's!


    Look, I do not want to argue with you or anyone, so don't read this the wrong way (as is so easy to do on a forum).

    I think you are missing the OP and my points a bit, and a lot of things are being mis read/understood/quoted.
    The OP (as far as I can work out) is not having a go at people who cannot afford expensive bikes (and neither am I!).
    The bike is what it is, regardless of who can afford what.

    If people do not have much cash it does not mean that they just have to buy whats in Halfords, or any shop.
    If the bike is censored and they have limited funds then surely its all the more important that they do not waste money.

    The OP seemed to be questioning if such bikes as this should exist. I did not take that as meaning that all bikes should cost £500+ and anyone without £500 should take the bus!
    There are other options and this type of bike is not doing them any favours.

    I love cycling and think everyone should be able to take part, I just do not think that a poor value, heavy, poor quality bike is the answer (if thats what this one is).
    I asked you what your cut off point was because I assumed you would feel there was a point at which a bike would be too censored to consider buying new and agree that other options were better.

    If this bike has a point I would say it was for some of the other reasons/types of people that have been mentioned (like riding to the train station/pub in a little village now and then), and is not ideal for the newbie road rider with max £200 that we have been talking about.

    I have no problem with your reasoning re your bike. I told you my reasoning because you asked. Why are you taking it personally and having a go at me about it?
    I said I felt bikes under £500 were generally questionable for sportive type riding. There are bikes at £300 that would be great also, but it was just a rough figure.

    At the end of the day this is a forum. People will ask all sorts of questions and people will come back with a wide range of views. Often those views may change the mind of the person who asked the question.
    I think the OP''s question was valid. I certainly was not having a go at anyone even if he was!
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    Carbonator wrote:
    Why are you taking it personally and having a go at me about it?

    Sounds to me like you're the one taking it personally dude. Did I ever mention my mate once gave me a 'crappy' asda mountain bike that was cluttering his shed up? I used to ride it every weekend without any problems. If people weren't so spoiled and blinkered by all the modern bling they would come to realise that a bike is basically a bike. Everything else is non essential and you don't actually 'need' carbon forks etc..

    Can you please advise where I can pick up excellent light bikes for £200? I seriously want to know because:

    a) My mate is after a road bike and is on ebay every day and can't get anything 'decent' for that kind of money. Anything that does come up gets pounced on straight away.
    b) My missus would like to start using a turbo trainer, so I also would like a cheap road bike that would fit it. I honestly think the Tesco £125 would be more than adequate for that.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I did not mention carbon forks!!! Where did that come from?

    Sorry, but It really sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

    Are you having a go at me (for things I have not even said) still, or asking my advice now?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    edited March 2013
    I did not say you could get an excellent bike for £200, I said that that one was probably not the best option for someone with £200 in their pocket.
  • junglist_mattyjunglist_matty Posts: 1,819
    This forum has gone downhill!!!!!!

    WHO GIVES A TOSS?!?!?!?
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Quite being so naive then.

    Please explain.

    What happened to my fúcking reply to his post?! I gave a textbook explanation to this and now its dissappeared. I dont mind posts being deleted but mods please let me know about it with a reason FFS men!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    If you feel the Tesco bike is adequate then get it, I have never said anything about that.
    If you feel the Halfords one is the best £200 option then get that.
    I cannot really advise your friend because I do not know him and you will probably have a go at anything I say because my username has the word carbon in it!

    I only try to help people on here, or get help, or just chat about bikes.

    You seem to be venting your anger on me for some reason :(
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,534
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Can you please advise where I can pick up excellent light bikes for £200? I seriously want to know because:

    a) My mate is after a road bike and is on ebay every day and can't get anything 'decent' for that kind of money. Anything that does come up gets pounced on straight away.
    b) My missus would like to start using a turbo trainer, so I also would like a cheap road bike that would fit it. I honestly think the Tesco £125 would be more than adequate for that.

    Dont have to look hard:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BTwin-Triban- ... 19d9e47589
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Btwin-Road-Bi ... 27d0d0547b
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/carrera-tdf-r ... 4ac290d391
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Vanqu ... 2a2a6e0541
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARRERA-TDF-L ... 20d0237a8d
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... fresh=true
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specialized-a ... 4171a9b52c

    Just a few of the many - took 3 searches and there were more in the lists that I didnt link.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    Carbonator wrote:
    I did not say you could get an excellent bike for £200, I said that that one was probably not the best option for someone with £200 in their pocket.

    So please give me an example of something that is so I can consider it!
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    You are just using this thread to have a go at people.
    I assumed you would think that in the real world a say £50 bike would be pants, but I guess not.
    If you do not think that any bike sold in the UK is censored , then forgive me if I cannot take your opinion of the Halfords one seriously!

    You've missed my point entirely. The OP asked what's the point about cheapo bikes? The 'point' is some people are not made of money and may only be able to afford such bikes. At the end of the day you can buy a road bike from Tesco for £125, and if that's all someone can afford then they are getting a bottom of the range road bike but it's still a road bike!!

    Myself, I could go out and blow £2500 on a bike if I wanted to. But I think it would be an unjust squandering of money in my circumstances. So I bought one for £300, and guess what - my bike that is 'questionable' to you gets me about as good as any Pinarello I've seen, albeit just that bit slower due to a few extra kg's!

    Which brings me to another point. This:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    It's still a road bike and will generally work as well as one that costs £10,000.

    Quit being such a snob.

    No it wont.
    This forum has gone downhill!!!!!!

    WHO GIVES A TOSS?!?!?!?

    I dont give a fùck either to be honest. A few times my posts have vanished without explanation. Plenty of other forums for me to go to should I not be made to feel in any way welcome here. The only reason I stay here is to give this forum a chance.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    Carbonator wrote:
    If you feel the Tesco bike is adequate then get it, I have never said anything about that.
    If you feel the Halfords one is the best £200 option then get that.
    I cannot really advise your friend because I do not know him and you will probably have a go at anything I say because my username has the word carbon in it!

    I only try to help people on here, or get help, or just chat about bikes.

    You seem to be venting your anger on me for some reason :(

    I am not a carbon discriminator and don't advocate carbon apartheid. Please chill out and stop taking things so seriously.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    No it wont.

    Yes it will.
    I dont give a fùck either to be honest. A few times my posts have vanished without explanation. Plenty of other forums for me to go to should I not be made to feel in any way welcome here. The only reason I stay here is to give this forum a chance.

    I'm sure this forum really appreciates the time you give up to grace it with your presence.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    edited March 2013
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    I did not say you could get an excellent bike for £200, I said that that one was probably not the best option for someone with £200 in their pocket.

    So please give me an example of something that is so I can consider it!


    That sounds almost nice/genuine :shock:

    If I had the time I would. I do not even know if the Halfords one is any good (as I have always said).

    Look, I am not saying its easy to get a good bike on a tight budget, but feel it can be done.
    Above all I feel the Halfords one is a probably a bad move. Its just my opinion, please don't have a go at me, it's just advice that people can take or leave.

    The main problem is that you have to be ready to buy, so I cannot say "here, look, this one will sell on ebay for less than £200" just because it is £100 in the auction now.
    I do not look in the same local papers as you or go in the same shops, but am sure it is out there.

    Two things I am pretty sure of are that:

    Once found it will be more enjoyed, more motivational and easier to upgrade from.

    If extra cash can be found by going without something else, the resale of say a £300 Triban 3 will be higher than the Halfords one + the £100 extra the Triban cost. For someone with limited funds that would be a good thing.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    apreading wrote:

    They look mostly like the heavy entry level bikes that are largely being slated in this forum. I want a light, quality road bike for under £200! Otherwise I'd just buy a new heavy entry level road bike!!!
  • zx6manzx6man Posts: 1,092
    I got my tdf for 260 in the bank hols sales, so for extra bit over the 200 is worth it. the apollo ones are a bit rubbish.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Have not compared the specs, but are you saying the Triban 3 is as heavy as the Halfords one?
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,534
    Bustacapp wrote:
    apreading wrote:

    They look mostly like the heavy entry level bikes that are largely being slated in this forum. I want a light, quality road bike for under £200! Otherwise I'd just buy a new heavy entry level road bike!!!

    There is a world of difference between these and the Apollo ones and supermarket specials. There are entry level 'proper' bikes, as opposed to junk. You could probably find a Giant Defy on ebay for this price too.

    Did you not read the review posted earlier: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bik ... y-for.html
Sign In or Register to comment.