Which road bike....dilemma!

audiman1975
audiman1975 Posts: 8
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hello all.....I'm new to the forum and I would like to pick your brains if I may? I'm looking to upgrade my slightly too small giant TCR composite and have looked at just about everything going! I am now down to either a cervelo S2 with 105 or a Kuota karma evo with di2. My heart tells me the kuota and my head the cervelo (although I did want to upgrade from the 105 I have currently). I'm doing a JOGLE in June and am a sportive type rider.....any thoughts?

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    If you are a sportive rider, did you also consider the BMC Gran fondo, cannondale synapse or trek domane?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Try the bikes out if you can!
  • you might not want something generic and in that respect I believe the Kuota might be the right choice for you. You're in a price range where (almost) anything is possible. (and you would benefit from already having a good set of wheels) As your only mention about your tcr being to small, my only piece of recommendation is getting a bike that truly fits. Like robbo said, you might want to chose a little more 'sportive' geometry but it's all up to your preference and sense of aesthetics of course.
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233
    Don't know either bike but don't worry too much about going 105 -> Ultegra, I did and wouldn't bother again. There's very little difference IMHO.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Hello all.....I'm new to the forum and I would like to pick your brains if I may? I'm looking to upgrade my slightly too small giant TCR composite and have looked at just about everything going! I am now down to either a cervelo S2 with 105 or a Kuota karma evo with di2. My heart tells me the kuota and my head the cervelo (although I did want to upgrade from the 105 I have currently). I'm doing a JOGLE in June and am a sportive type rider.....any thoughts?

I wouldnt go for either personally, much better bikes out there but if your set go for the Kuota as Cervelo,s are like Vauxhalls nowadays, everyone and his mothers got one.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Get a Felt, the F4 and F3 are smashing.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    For 3 grand whatever you pick will be a bloody good bike. Just make sure it's a really good comfy fit and you're away.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Can we have a blanket ban on people coming onto the forums and asking such an open question like "What bike should I buy?" There are literally hundreds if not thousands of bikes out there. If someone can't be arsed to go out and sit on a few bikes and do a little research then whats the point? You ask a forum what bike to buy and the majority of replies will be their personal favourite or current bike. What may be good for them is not necessary good for you so its a stupid thing to say.

Granted this OP has 2 he likes. But, mate only you can get on the damn thing and try it out. You have to look for comfort, does it suit your style of riding? is the design pleasing to your eye up close? Lots of bikes ride very different. You could get the Kuota and then thing you don't like the sharpness of the steering or the Cervelo might have a riding position that makes it hard for you to get the power down. End of the day, only YOU can make the decision not some guy on a forum. The chances of someone on here knowing how both bikes ride without being a bike journo or something are very remote so you will get a one sided argument. If you make the decision based on things like gears or wheels then you really do need to look at yourself.

And also, when people do come on here with a short list, why does some numbnuts then offer up a different bike? He made a shortlist, i.e he isn't interested in anything else so why offer a bike he has no doubt dismissed already?
  • Can we have a blanket ban on people coming onto the forums and asking such an open question like "What bike should I buy?"

Can we have a blanket ban on people pontificating to others about what they may and may not ask on the Forum?

OP's question is what these forums are for, so if you don't like it, keep out!

OP. At risk of ignoring your suggestions completely (don't blanket ban me!) I'd go for a bike that can take mudguards for a Jogle... much as that might not appeal to a sportive rider's tastes, you're going to need them. Otherwise, buy a Bianchi Infinito... the most beautiful use of carbon in the cycloverse! :mrgreen:
  • aka Arthur wrote:
    Can we have a blanket ban on people coming onto the forums and asking such an open question like "What bike should I buy?"

Can we have a blanket ban on people pontificating to others about what they may and may not ask on the Forum?

OP. At risk of ignoring your suggestions completely (don't blanket ban me!) I'd go for a bike that can take mudguards for a Jogle... much as that might not appeal to a sportive rider's tastes, you're going to need them. Otherwise, buy a Bianchi Infinito... the most beautiful use of carbon in the cycloverse! :mrgreen:

+1
  • smoggysteve
    buy a Bianchi Infinito... the most beautiful use of carbon in the cycloverse!

One of my points.

Do Kuota or Cervelo make this bike? Is it in his shortlist?

About as helpful to the OP as t!ts of a fish
  • buy a Bianchi Infinito... the most beautiful use of carbon in the cycloverse!

One of my points.

why are you even bothered by this, why read it then or just leave if it upsets you so much.

it's people giving help and extra advice. You don't even know if the OP mite have a shortlist but the exta advice given could benefit him into a better purchase so surely you can't say don't give extra advice.
  • smoggysteve
    I am now down to either a cervelo S2 with 105 or a Kuota karma evo with di2

Do you even read any further up than the last post or two? that sounds like a shortlist to me.

Seems you are of no use to the OP cos you didnt even read his post correctly.
  • letap73
    buy a Bianchi Infinito... the most beautiful use of carbon in the cycloverse!

One of my points.

why are you even bothered by this, why read it then or just leave if it upsets you so much.

it's people giving help and extra advice. You don't even know if the OP mite have a shortlist but the exta advice given could benefit him into a better purchase so surely you can't say don't give extra advice.

To be fair to Smoggy Steve, a lot of posters who ask which bike questions never seem to use the search function. At the same posts like Aka Arthur aren't offering anything constructive at all, hence why he quoted that post.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    To be honest Smoggy - the OP didn't hide what his thread would be about. Just move on if it ain't for you!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Get the Cervelo
  • aka Arthur wrote:
    Can we have a blanket ban on people coming onto the forums and asking such an open question like "What bike should I buy?"

+1

+2
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Wow....that generated a response that I didn't expect...or particlurly appreciate!

For what it's worth, with work, kids and numerous other distractions, spending hours in bike shops isn't really possible for me and I thought that the idea of forums is to draw upon other peoples experiences.

Clearly not!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Wow....that generated a response that I didn't expect...or particlurly appreciate!...I thought that the idea of forums is to draw upon other peoples experiences.

welcome to the forum!

These are our experiences.

I think if you read between the lines you have got all the possible answers. :D

IMHO people here tend not to have too much patience for people with large budgets claiming they have a 'dilemma', you have the luxury of choice, enjoy it :D

Try these two bikes for fit and come back and let us know what you found out.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Wow this sort of exploded in a way it shouldnt have!

My 2 cents worth, I just dont like Cervelo's so I would pick the Kuota just for that reason. But outside the shortlist, I would either pick a Ridley or Focus on looks and heritage alone.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy the one that'll look best on top of your Audi.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292
    Wow....that generated a response that I didn't expect...or particlurly appreciate!

For what it's worth, with work, kids and numerous other distractions, spending hours in bike shops isn't really possible for me and I thought that the idea of forums is to draw upon other peoples experiences.

Clearly not!

Seriously, if you are going to spend that sort of money on a bike I would suggest making time to try them. Out of interest how have you shortlisted down to the two you mention if you haven't already ridden them. Personally, I wouldn't spend that money without a decent test ride of both but my preference would be the Kuota - slightly less common place and I don't think the frame on the Cervelo is that much better to miss the opportunity to get Di2. The problem you have is that not many people will have ridden both bikes and if they have ridden / own one of them then they are likely to be biased in that direction. It's a fundamental flaw on all these 'what bike' threads, unless someone has had a particularly bad experience they will generally recommend what they ride themselves.

Personally, for a 'sportive' style bike I would get a Scott CR1 - excellent frame and a sportive geometry (guess what I ride!).
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Pross wrote:
    Wow....that generated a response that I didn't expect...or particlurly appreciate!

Clearly not!

Seriously, if you are going to spend that sort of money on a bike I would suggest making time to try them. Out of interest how have you shortlisted down to the two you mention if you haven't already ridden them. Personally, I wouldn't spend that money without a decent test ride of both but my preference would be the Kuota - slightly less common place and I don't think the frame on the Cervelo is that much better to miss the opportunity to get Di2. The problem you have is that not many people will have ridden both bikes and if they have ridden / own one of them then they are likely to be biased in that direction. It's a fundamental flaw on all these 'what bike' threads, unless someone has had a particularly bad experience they will generally recommend what they ride themselves.

Personally, for a 'sportive' style bike I would get a Scott CR1 - excellent frame and a sportive geometry (guess what I ride!).

Finally, someone who talks sense. As a newcomer to this forum-and road cycling, there's so much I want to ask and genuinely want to use the huge levels of experience on here, but its quite off putting seeing the level of vitriol shown to anyone who makes a post on something they 'should know better than to ask'.

Fair enough, even for a newbie some to the repetitive questions without researching previous posts can be a bit tiresome but they don't deserve some of the responses I've seen.

As much as I am enjoying the act of cycling, sometimes this forum feels like it's inhabited by loads of Lycra clad hormonal teenagers!

Thank god the clocks are changing soon so all that pent up frustration can be dispensed with before getting on here!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Too many awesome bikes out there to even consider a Cervelo.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    I got a kharma evo with ultegra and love it. I upgraded to the spinnergy Xaero lite wheels and it was definitely worth the money.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Can we have a blanket ban on people coming onto the forums and asking such an open question like "What bike should I buy?" There are literally hundreds if not thousands of bikes out there. If someone can't be arsed to go out and sit on a few bikes and do a little research then whats the point? You ask a forum what bike to buy and the majority of replies will be their personal favourite or current bike. What may be good for them is not necessary good for you so its a stupid thing to say.

Granted this OP has 2 he likes. But, mate only you can get on the damn thing and try it out. You have to look for comfort, does it suit your style of riding? is the design pleasing to your eye up close? Lots of bikes ride very different. You could get the Kuota and then thing you don't like the sharpness of the steering or the Cervelo might have a riding position that makes it hard for you to get the power down. End of the day, only YOU can make the decision not some guy on a forum. The chances of someone on here knowing how both bikes ride without being a bike journo or something are very remote so you will get a one sided argument. If you make the decision based on things like gears or wheels then you really do need to look at yourself.

And also, when people do come on here with a short list, why does some numbnuts then offer up a different bike? He made a shortlist, i.e he isn't interested in anything else so why offer a bike he has no doubt dismissed already?

You do have a point, but I think OP was asking for advice on component quality and what practical differences will there be between them (105 or Di 2).

Rather than have a blanket ban on "which bike" threads, all replies to them should be automatically moderated to say "**** off" or words to that affect. Asking how one bike performs against another based on its material and components is fine however.
  • Get a Felt, the F4 and F3 are smashing.

Thanks for the advice....not even considered a Felt and now I own an AR4!

Sat on it, tried it and at last, everything seemed to fit but totally not what I'd set out for!

As I said in a previous post, I though this was the idea of a forum?!?!
  • letap73

Sat on it, tried it and at last, everything seemed to fit but totally not what I'd set out for!

There was plenty of good advice offered to you - most of them suggesting you try a few bikes out because at the end of the day you are the only who can judge what suits you. There are obviously posts which you may judge less useful - but then a cross section of opinion, good or bad is the real idea of a forum. :)
  • letap73 wrote:

There was plenty of good advice offered to you - most of them suggesting you try a few bikes out because at the end of the day you are the only who can judge what suits you. There are obviously posts which you may judge less useful - but then a cross section of opinion, good or bad is the real idea of a forum. :)

That too I guess.
  • The Cervelo S2 is not a good choice if you just ride sportives. It's more suited to criterium racing. The Cervelo R3 is a better choice. I've owned 2 of them. The 2010 model developed hairline cracks around the bottom bracket and it was replaced under warranty with a 2012 model frameset. Cervelo have a lifetime warranty on their frames.

Having owned both 105 and Ultegra, I find Ultegra to be more refined.

I wouldn't buy the Cervelo or the Kuota. I'd but a Focus Cayo Evo with ultegra di2 if the budget stretches that far.

Whatever you decide on I strongly suggest that you get a compact crankset for riding sportives.