tips for box hill

2»

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    goonz wrote:
    OP would be good to know how you fared on Box hill if and when you have done it.
    You missed his post.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    fatdaz wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    So I asked a mate of mine who lives that way to take me up Box Hill just for the experience and he said no we'll do White Down instead, it'll be better. Have I been stitched?
    I'd say you have, for sure. :D

I've done White Down Lane twice now, Box Hill about 6 times. To give you an idea, Box Hill from the bottom of the zigzags to the cafe takes me a little less than 12 mins. So I'm quite a slowcoach compared with many here.

However, I find it easy enough at that pace. I don't need to get out of the saddle, it's just a case of spinning in a low gear.

White Down Lane is another matter. There's a gentle bit, followed by a little descent, and then it gets steep. The first time wasn't too bad, since I was fresh having driven most of the way. But the second time, I already had 30 miles in my legs and it was hard. Out of the saddle in my lowest gear, I could only just go fast enough not to fall off. I thought I was going to have to walk, but I just managed not to. Wobbling about all over the road with cars coming down the other way is quite interesting too. :roll:

Much, much harder if you're not already a strong rider, I'd say. Let us know how you got on :)

Once you've mastered Whitedown, you need to try Barhatch Lane heading north. Its longer and steeper, quite a bitch if your legs are a bit tired. The last third or so I do in bottom gear (34/27) seated, and stand only for the last 2 steep sections when my legs don't have the strength to move me seated.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava