tips for box hill

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
My mate is taking me over to ride box hill on sunday. Anything I need to watch out for?

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Yes, don't raise your expectations too high. It's just another bit of Surrey highway with a slight incline.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    No its a flattish ride.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Moderate pace to the first turn then smash it or just smash the whole thing.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    And the descent was a lot more fun without the speed bumps
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i wouldn't worry about it 4.9% average over 1.6 miles is hardly a lung buster.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    Watch out for cars they fly up and down there

As said its not to bad to climb, there are some evil hills over Leith hill and Ranmore area
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Yep, White Down Lane is the kiddy. Heading northwards, there is about a km at 18% incline. That had me panting!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    The cafe at the top is OK, the themed pub at the top is rubbish, the Tree which is the pub further along is better but a little snooty with wet cyclists.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Watch out for a breakaway forming on the last circuit as the Germans won't help you pull it back in.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Well its not that bad, quite enjoyed. Went back and did it again.
  • Adamkalin
    Adamkalin Posts: 39
    t4tomo wrote:
    Watch out for a breakaway forming on the last circuit as the Germans won't help you pull it back in.

Ha, very good!
    "There's only one way to get rid of Sagan and that's literally to kill him." -David Harmon, Eurosport, Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Build up some speed, hit the hill, put it into a higher gear, stand up, scream 'SHUT UP LEGS' and churn as hard as you can.

Then stop and be sick on the side of the road. :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    My top tip would be to avoid it on weekends in the height of summer, it can be insanely busy there sometimes.
    Otherwise if you're coming from mickleham direction watch your speed as you enter the road, as I've seen it catch a few people out and nearly go into oncoming traffic.
    As other posters have suggested, get over to ranmore for some proper hills.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Peat wrote:
    Yep, White Down Lane is the kiddy. Heading northwards, there is about a km at 18% incline. That had me panting!

erm , it rises 85 m in 1 km which is an average of 8.5%

jsn02e.jpg
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I was just going by the signpost.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Whitedown is certainly a step above Box in terms of difficulty, stretched a near new chain getting the fixie up it :lol:
  • simonhead
    Pebble combe is the best/worst of the hills arond there.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Did box hill for the first time Saturday. When I got to the top I was the only roadie around, there was a guy with a flat on a mtb. Café was closed ! But then I was there before 8am . Decent saw a few more arriving to ride it. Blooming cold ride though !
    Insert witty signature here
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    simonhead wrote:
    Pebble combe is the best/worst of the hills arond there.

Pebble Combe? Don't think there's any such hill. Pebble Hill and Combe Bottom both exist though.

Anyway, Winterfold is generally considered the most difficult.
  • bondurant
    Pebblehill Road I mean
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    oh yeah Peble hill is evil, i've not ridden up there yet, really should give it ago as its on my door step
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I came embarrassingly unstuck on Pebble Hill the same day I first went up Box Hill. Got a sympathetic look from a passing roadie who just cruised up it. Lots of cars zooming by a few inches away on the narrow, steeply-banked stretch added to the fun.
  • simonhead
    Sorry, you are right, it is pebble hill, Pebblecombe is the area at the top of it.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Peat wrote:

So I asked a mate of mine who lives that way to take me up Box Hill just for the experience and he said no we'll do White Down instead, it'll be better. Have I been stitched?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I had a quick look at Pebblehill Road on Strava. Average of less than 5% in 1.4 miles. How hard could that be? Then I had a look at the segment and it looks like the last 1/3 mile is pretty nasty, somewhere between 10 and 20%! I might have to go and try that one out.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bondurant
    fatdaz wrote:
    Peat wrote:

So I asked a mate of mine who lives that way to take me up Box Hill just for the experience and he said no we'll do White Down instead, it'll be better. Have I been stitched?

It's an awful lot steeper...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Bondurant wrote:
    fatdaz wrote:
    Peat wrote:

It's an awful lot steeper...

well about twice that, in that Whitedown is 11% average and Box Hill is 5% average whitedown also has the hairpin bend at 18%. one of the harder climbs in the Northdowns.
  • Mmm, mever done Box. I cycle on the Kent/Surrey end of the Downs. So Chalkpit 11% Brastead at 10%, Row Dow at 11%, Cotmans 11%.

But they are all short at these steep bits, none much longer than 1km. There is a little one on Downe lane which gets to 24% for a hundred yards or so.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    OP would be good to know how you fared on Box hill if and when you have done it.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    fatdaz wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    I'd say you have, for sure. :D

I've done White Down Lane twice now, Box Hill about 6 times. To give you an idea, Box Hill from the bottom of the zigzags to the cafe takes me a little less than 12 mins. So I'm quite a slowcoach compared with many here.

However, I find it easy enough at that pace. I don't need to get out of the saddle, it's just a case of spinning in a low gear.

White Down Lane is another matter. There's a gentle bit, followed by a little descent, and then it gets steep. The first time wasn't too bad, since I was fresh having driven most of the way. But the second time, I already had 30 miles in my legs and it was hard. Out of the saddle in my lowest gear, I could only just go fast enough not to fall off. I thought I was going to have to walk, but I just managed not to. Wobbling about all over the road with cars coming down the other way is quite interesting too. :roll:

Much, much harder if you're not already a strong rider, I'd say. Let us know how you got on :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?