iainf72 wrote:
    Pretends he's on a phone saying "Caio, it's Luigi, I need a sandwich"
    ?

You a***, I now have red wine on a cream cashmere jumper! :evil:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    sagan-verslaat-cancellara-in-seraing-id3150464-1000x800-n.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Precocious talent as Sagan is I'm in the Canc corner. When Sagan has a P-R or RVV under his belt then he'll be within a couple of rungs of Spartacus.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Luigi should quit moaning about Sagan and start working out how to beat people. He can't blame anybody else for his complete lack of tactical nouse or creativity - ie, drag everyone to the finish all day long and not have the sprinting legs to win. :roll:

Cancellara is obviously a very talented and much liked rider but his gameplan is a decade old and doesn't work for him anymore (he still tries to use it in every race he rides though) - time to try something new or quit moaning on like a little old lady.

That's a bit like saying if Cav gets beaten in a few sprints he should try something other than bunch sprints. Cancellara's thing is putting the power on 10, 20 or 30km out and riding everyone of his wheel. I think it can work against Sagan but he needs to commit hard enough to isolate him.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,453
    Cancellara is obviously a very talented and much liked rider but his gameplan is a decade old and doesn't work for him anymore (he still tries to use it in every race he rides though) - time to try something new or quit moaning on like a little old lady.

In that decade he's won 4 monuments. Only one current rider can better that.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    iainf72 wrote:
    Does like the way he shows his strength in the finish, as it doesn't show respect.

and if he's in the final with Sagan in M-SR he won't take his turn.
    Does that mean he actually learnt something from the hard work he did being lead-out man for Gerrans last year?

As for showing your strength in the finish, where else would he suggest it is done? Wheelies in the feed zone? They're only human, so it's inevitable they'll get on each other's nerves but perhaps we should be grateful that is all he has to whinge about. Or is it?

FC has several monuments to his name and is understandably popular but if Sagan finishes in front of him then Sagan was better on the day. There's not much to be gained by bitching about the young man's "lack of respect" (though he should have been told to curtsey to Fab by now!). And can we not take Sagan's riding talent seriously until he's won several monuments?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Send Sagen to Cancellaras doctor and see how he goes.

Sorry, forgot, Cancellaras doctor is in court right now.

Cancellara is a one trick pony and it seems that was not all natural talent.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Pross wrote:
    Luigi should quit moaning about Sagan and start working out how to beat people. He can't blame anybody else for his complete lack of tactical nouse or creativity - ie, drag everyone to the finish all day long and not have the sprinting legs to win. :roll:

That's a bit like saying if Cav gets beaten in a few sprints he should try something other than bunch sprints. Cancellara's thing is putting the power on 10, 20 or 30km out and riding everyone of his wheel. I think it can work against Sagan but he needs to commit hard enough to isolate him.

Problem is, it's not as effective as it used to be, for whatever reason. If Gerrans can stay on his wheel, so can half the peloton. He needs some new tactics or at least needs to learn not to do all the work. There is no way on earth Cancellara will drop Sagan from his wheel.
  • Every so often the sport throws up a talent that the peloton find it difficult to cope with. Few years ago FC was that talent and the bunch were reduced to accusing him of using a motor on his bike.

I know it sounds like sour grapes but he's entitled to his opinion. I think the sport needs characters like Sagan and Fabian, they make things interesting both in the way they race and approach the sport. I'd be happy to see either of them win on Sunday
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    And so it starts, guess the press are having a field day in those conferences. Does look like its shaping up to be a good race.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tailwindhome
    "This year if I'm in front with Cancellara, the risk for him is that if we get pulled back, then he won't win the bunch sprint whereas I can still try and win in a group sprint," Sagan said. "I have two chances. So if he doesn't work on the front, maybe I'll just wait for the group with him, I don't know.

"If he's talking like that about me, saying that he wouldn't do turns with me on the front, then maybe he is a bit afraid and that's to my advantage, no?"

Love this guy.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I really hope Fabien schools Sagan tomorrow but I can't see it. As Sagan himself says he has more ways to win.

Cancellara should keep his powder dry for Flanders.

Not sure why but I just can't warm to Sagan.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    smithy21 wrote:
    Not sure why but I just can't warm to Sagan.

I read an interview where Sagan said he celebrated as he does for the fans, as he saw Valentino Rossi do on motorbikes and liked it. I don't know, it all seems a bit showboaty - especially if you've just let someone else drag you.

Plus I've read so many Yanks take an almost bizarre joy on Velonews in Sagan winning, simply because he wasn't Sky. I find him hard to like.

Hell of a cyclist though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    . I don't know, it all seems a bit showboaty - especially if you've just let someone else drag you.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYHaY4uIr-U

:P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Have sympathy for Cance...he can do Sagan if he makes Sagan do efforts without team help. Hope Cance isolates him
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Sagan at the finish of that stage:
    dzby0.png

Think it's a tough crowd that nitpicks either Sagan's youthful exuberance and love of bike racing, or Cancellara's stack of audacious, glorious, solo attacks.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Just personal preference isn't it. Sometimes you can't put your finger on why you like some riders better than others.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Macaloon wrote:
    Think it's a tough crowd that nitpicks either Sagan's youthful exuberance and love of bike racing, or Cancellara's stack of audacious, glorious, solo attacks.

True, true. But it means we're at that exciting point of the season when there's actually things to talk about! :)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Macaloon wrote:

True, true. But it means we're at that exciting point of the season when there's actually things to talk about! :)
    Amen. Hosanna. Hallelujah. Gaunyersel.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    see it going the way of PR 2011 and chinny and sagan marking themselves out of the race
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    see it going the way of PR 2011 and chinny and sagan marking themselves out of the race

Ah what a classic Mexican standoff that was and in the meantime JVS disappeared off with the goods! they don't want to be messing about with the cavalry charging up behind them!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    I hope Sagan destroys him tomorrow.

I hope he attacks, with Cancellara momentarily getting on his wheel, only to be unable to hold it and getting dropped by Sagan who then walks across the line carrying the bike above his head.

That Trek ad on Cycling News is really annoying me.

I may have had enough Leffe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think you lot forget how terrifying / mind blowingly exciting a Canc attack is when he's on form.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Won't be that long till we see, I do hope that Canc is on form and able to attack, but then I say that about Evans, Thor.......... yawn.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,037
    I like Chinny and Sagan. Both great riders, add interest and fireworks to a race. Good on them.

Can't warm to Wiggins :shock:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Cancellara is probably my favourite rider in the current peleton, so I'm very much hoping he comes away with the goods today. As others have said, I can't really warm to Sagan.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Surprised by the Cancellara bashing on here...oh well some people change allegiances like the wind. Not me.
    Contador is the Greatest