Staying indoors when its raining, is it just an excuse?

13»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    coriordan wrote:
    I've brought my sailing stuff back and it seems that cyclists* haven't worked out that once wet, you need to keep warm.

*I mean the clothing manufacturers here....

I'm not sure that's true. Most of the winter gear I've got is windproof which does, on the whole, keep you warm when wet. Same goes for the neoprene stuff available for cycling (gloves and overshoes) and anything made of Merino wool.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    At which point would you guys (and few girls) draw the line when your ride is for leisure. Do you still grin and bare it and go out in all weathers or would you cancel a planned ride if you woke up to a strong wind or flurry of snow.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:
    At which point would you guys (and few girls) draw the line when your ride is for leisure. Do you still grin and bare it and go out in all weathers or would you cancel a planned ride if you woke up to a strong wind or flurry of snow.

Personally, I'd not ride naked in any weather :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    suzyb wrote:

This often wakes me up. :oops:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    suzyb wrote:

Depends. If I've been really looking forward to clearing my head on the bike and I'm going to go stir-crazy indoors, I'd probably go out anyhow even if it ended up being slightly shorter than expected. Having said that, it's more likely to happen if it's raining rather than in snow!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    suzyb wrote:

If I've planned to ride then 9/10 times I'll go out and ride anyway (unless it is icy, dumping snow or very windy). Only started doing this a year or so ago, before that I would happily bail if it was raining. Unsurprisingly since I started getting out there regardless, my cycling has improved. TBH I'd rather go out in the rain & the cold than sit on the f*cking turbo. Nothing beats outdoor miles.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1.
    Cold, I can take.
    Wet, I can take.
    Even windy is just about survivable.

Cold + wet + windy is just too sh!t and I haven't worked out how to keep my feet warm!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The big question is... do you ride for pain or pleasure? If you're aiming to push yourself as regards effort, it's not such a different mindset to push yourself in terms of facing up to cold, wet etc, so why shouldn't you?
    If, on the other hand, you're out to relax and enjoy the fresh air, who says you have any particular obligation to go out at any time?

But as for me, I'm looking forward to the day it rains rather than snows :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    “Cycling is so hard, the suffering is so intense, that it’s absolutely cleansing. The pain is so deep and strong that a curtain descends over your brain…

"Once; someone asked me what pleasure I took in riding for so long. ‘PLEASURE???? I said.’ ‘I don’t understand the question.’ I don't do it for the pleasure; I do it for the pain.”
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    coriordan wrote:
    “Cycling is so hard, the suffering is so intense, that it’s absolutely cleansing. The pain is so deep and strong that a curtain descends over your brain…

"Once; someone asked me what pleasure I took in riding for so long. ‘PLEASURE???? I said.’ ‘I don’t understand the question.’ I don't do it for the pleasure; I do it for the pain.”

This is the point exactly, what difference does the weather make? The suffering from cold or wet pales into insignificance and a headwind is welcome when your entire body is screaming at you to stop yet you push on regardless.

On the other hand there are plenty of people who just enjoy a leisurely ride in the sunshine, there's nothing wrong with that but they're not really cyclists.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bompington wrote:
    The big question is... do you ride for pain or pleasure? If you're aiming to push yourself as regards effort, it's not such a different mindset to push yourself in terms of facing up to cold, wet etc, so why shouldn't you?
    If, on the other hand, you're out to relax and enjoy the fresh air, who says you have any particular obligation to go out at any time?

But as for me, I'm looking forward to the day it rains rather than snows :?
    I'm just looking forward to the day I don't spend the entire time shivering with the cold. I don't even care if it's raining* as long as it's not so bloody cold :cry:

*I reserve the right to moan about the rain later in the year when it's been pi$$ing down non stop for months
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think if SuzyB and Roger Merriman were to procreate the child would probably have the temperature sensitivity of a normal person.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!