Staying indoors when its raining, is it just an excuse?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    On a fast road bike I quite like bad weather; there's something exhilarating about fast riding in driving wind and rain (or snow). You can get your angry head on. Wind on its own is pretty dull though.

It's a bit harder to be motivated to do extra miles after a day at work when I'm on the big, heavy, draggy touring bike.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Wet and cold you can dress for but there is very little you can do about wind (McLaren Venge and a skinsuit?), so its wind that I hate.

Clip on tri bars.
    Dangerous to use in heavy traffic and they won't help with crosswinds.

I don't get much problems with crosswinds, maybe it's the old MTBer skills ie feeling the bike move off line and countering it, headwind not a lot one can do but get in the drops and feel dumb for not having any other gears...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'll commute through most weather since I have to get to work so I may as well cycle, but in the weekend I'm not going to suffer through shifty weather for `leisure` if I can avoid it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you don't enjoy getting wet or cold or even don't enjoy riding when it's really warm then it isn't an excuse. It's you deciding to stick to weather you enjoy being out and riding in.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Should take a look at page 3 /4 of the milan san remo spoiler thread. ...
  • suzyb
    Most people on this forum would rather ride in weather even worse than that than take the bus :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    suzyb wrote:
    Most people on this forum would rather ride in weather even worse than that than take the bus :lol:
    I don't understand the profanity filter on this site. You can say bus but you can't say fuck. I know which I'm more offended by.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Starting to look like the milan - san remo the way the snows starting to come down here! Hopefully it will pass before the morning commute. :(
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'll ride in pretty much anything provided it's safe. I've even learned to embrace headwinds. Only deep snow or dangerous cross-winds on the bridge stop me.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    suzyb wrote:

To be fair to the pros at Milan San Remo, they originally set out to ride the equivalent of London - Liverpool

That would be some commute.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I managed 50 miles in absolute p!ssing rain on Saturday. It wasn't the most enjoyable time I've ever had on a bike, but I'd rather get some miles in than sit at home vegetating. As for the right kit, I'm afraid that there's very little you can do when it's really coming down. My torso stayed dry thanks to a Castelli Gabba & Pocketliner combo, but the rest of me was sodden. Hands got a little cold, but the rest of me was just about warm enough. IME there are no gloves or shoe covers in the world that will keep you dry on a long wet ride. I figure getting the unpleasant winter miles in means the warm summer miles feel even more enjoyable.
  • meanredspider
    IME there are no gloves or shoe covers in the world that will keep you dry on a long wet ride. I figure getting the unpleasant winter miles in means the warm summer miles feel even more enjoyable.

You're absolutely right. I love my Assos Rain Gloves for these conditions (fancy diving gloves) for keeping my hands warm at least - it's the best you can hope for. Your skin is waterproof.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Manc33 wrote:
    Personally I avoid going out if it is raining. I really thought we were going to get away with it today but it is raining now and only 4c out, I don't fancy that. The inside of my refrigerator is warmer.

Some people just don't like getting their bike wet and with something costing £1500, £2000, £3000 upwards I can understand that its not an excuse anymore.

So the poll votes might not take much into account (like the cold) but lets see.

I am a stickler for wanting to stay dry and reasonably warm. :oops: I have not even been out on my bike for about 4 months because it is winter, just been lifting weights and getting minimal cardio in, but I want my 6 pack back now and this weather is just ridiculous. Middle of March and it was -6c here the other night.

Now its gone "up" to 4c but thats because it is overcast and of course, raining.

Poll doesn't have to apply to the UK but thats where I live.

I just don't see that many cyclists out the rare times I have been out when its throwing it down, but I do see the odd one. When its sunny you see a lot of cyclists. It should be a telling poll. 8)

Each to their own. You obviously have your reasons for being a light weight shandy slacker and occasional fair weather cyclist. The rest of us just get on and out.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I managed 50 miles in absolute p!ssing rain on Saturday. It wasn't the most enjoyable time I've ever had on a bike, but I'd rather get some miles in than sit at home vegetating. As for the right kit, I'm afraid that there's very little you can do when it's really coming down. My torso stayed dry thanks to a Castelli Gabba & Pocketliner combo, but the rest of me was sodden. Hands got a little cold, but the rest of me was just about warm enough. IME there are no gloves or shoe covers in the world that will keep you dry on a long wet ride. I figure getting the unpleasant winter miles in means the warm summer miles feel even more enjoyable.

There are, they're called Shimano MW80 winter boots, Goretex and insulated and then there are Seal Skinz winter cycling gloves, the warm ones. You need to widen your experiences.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    For the commute, I ride whatever the weather. For training I know I can get a better quality workout on the turbo anyway so if its cold and wet (see Sunday morning) I'll spend 2 hours watching TV while doing a tempo workout instead of 4 hours getting cold, wet and ill. If its dry I'll head out on the bike, even if freezing.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    dilemna wrote:

There are, they're called Shimano MW80 winter boots, Goretex and insulated and then there are Seal Skinz winter cycling gloves, the warm ones. You need to widen your experiences.

You sure about that? I have some Goretex winter boots (Northwaves), they keep your feet warm no problem (even when soaked through), but dry on a long ride, no way. Problem is that water soaks your bibtights and when they are saturated it runs down into your boots, I've not found a way to prevent this. The same goes for gloves. I've read numerous accounts of SealSkinz owners saying how their socks/gloves just fill up with water. As Big Maggy pointed out commentating on the MSR yesterday, gloves & shoes have holes in them, they kinda have to, and these holes are always going to let water in. Nothing you can do about that! I'd love to be corrected on this, if those boots, gloves genuinely keep you dry on long sodden rides then I will most probably buy some.
  • suzyb
    You sure about that? I have some Goretex winter boots (Northwaves), they keep your feet warm no problem (even when soaked through), but dry on a long ride, no way. Problem is that water soaks your bibtights and when they are saturated it runs down into your boots, I've not found a way to prevent this. The same goes for gloves. I've read numerous accounts of SealSkinz owners saying how their socks/gloves just fill up with water. As Big Maggy pointed out commentating on the MSR yesterday, gloves & shoes have holes in them, they kinda have to, and these holes are always going to let water in. Nothing you can do about that! I'd love to be corrected on this, if those boots, gloves genuinely keep you dry on long sodden rides then I will most probably buy some.
    I was thinking this yesterday. But could you not put your gloves under your sleeves / arm warmers. If the water is running into them from the end of the sleeves then surely it would be stopped by putting the gloves under them.

(Can you tell I don't go out in the rain much)
  • meanredspider
    Certainly my RW80's - which I believe are only different from the MW's in the sole - will let water in when there's enough of it. My experience of SealSkinz gloves has been awful. In both instances, as Il P says, the flaw will always be that they have holes and gravity working against them. I still contend that trying to stay dry is pointless. Staying warm when wet though is perfectly possible.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

^^Totally this.

The rain gets in somewhere or soaks through somehow. Does not matter what you have. A long wet ride means that you will be wet at the end of it....
  • il_principe
    suzyb wrote:
    But could you not put your gloves under your sleeves / arm warmers. If the water is running into them from the end of the sleeves then surely it would be stopped by putting the gloves under them.

Won't work, because your clothing will end up saturated anyway. All this stuff is fine on a short commute, but an hour or 2 in the rain and 90% of you is going to be sodden. As MRS says, key is to stay warm even when wet.
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:
    But could you not put your gloves under your sleeves / arm warmers. If the water is running into them from the end of the sleeves then surely it would be stopped by putting the gloves under them.

Won't work, because your clothing will end up saturated anyway. All this stuff is fine on a short commute, but an hour or 2 in the rain and 90% of you is going to be sodden. As MRS says, key is to stay warm even when wet.
    I was a bit of a stupid question wasn't it :oops:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

I was a bit of a stupid question wasn't it :oops:

Nope. Learning curve. We've all done it and been surprised the first time it happened. I remember getting utterly drenched one time and pouring water out of my MW80s. I was surprised as I wasn't even cold, just completely soaked.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    Some day I hope to own a piece of this mythical "keeps you warm" clothing. Not even a cycling piece, just a normal pair of office suitable trousers would be nice.

I really really really really wish winter would go away and it would get warmer :(
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    suzyb wrote:
    Some day I hope to own a piece of this mythical "keeps you warm" clothing. Not even a cycling piece, just a normal pair of office suitable trousers would be nice.

I really really really really wish winter would go away and it would get warmer :(

Does Winter ever leave South Lanarkshire?

Nice day in the South West today :shock:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I hope everyone has their snorkles and flippers ready...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I shake my head in disgust as I look out of the window... Cleaned my bike yesterday as well...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I shake my head in disgust as I look out of the window... Cleaned my bike yesterday as well...
    Ah, so we've got you to blame for this have we? Next time I see you I'm going to squirt you with my water bottle....
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Ah, so we've got you to blame for this have we? Next time I see you I'm going to squirt you with my water bottle....

Looking out my window, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice if someone did that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've brought my sailing stuff back and it seems that cyclists* haven't worked out that once wet, you need to keep warm. Given that wet is inevitable then you would think that they could talk to a few people about how to keep warm.

Look at surfing/sailing for ideas.
    Managed to steal some Gul surfing gloves which were pretty bloody good on Sat when the weather wasn't ideal. Not as bad as IP (we got a little wet, but not soaking, but any means) and the neoprene makes a world of difference to keeping you warm

Got some sealskin socks which I will be intrigued to see how they work out. I bought the long ones for sailing, so will pull them up to my knees prior to putting on bib tights and see how they get on!

Heading to Lidl on thurs to pick up a waterproof jacket!

*I mean the clothing manufacturers here....
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    edited March 2013
    I was out on Sunday morning from about 7:45, weather wasn't too bad for the first 35 miles but then the blizzard came from nowhere and was absolutely freezing. 15 miles later was sat in the cafe, soaked to the bone, hands and feet were blocks of ice to the point where it's painful. Was wearing Under Armour winter base layer, Biemme Coronado winter bib tights, Gore windstopper jacket, Sealskinz winter gloves, Sealskinz skullcap and a pair of the cheapo Planet X overshoes.

In response to OP, despite being ridiculously wet and cold I'm still glad I went out and got 100km under my belt (only the second time I've ever done 100km) and as Il Principe said above it will make the easier summer miles so much sweeter!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross