Ridley Damocles ISP

Comments

• hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    TKF wrote:
    Was yours from Wiggle hasbeen?

LBS - Ride in Coventry. They sell loads of Ridleys from 'cross bikes to Noahs and Heliums. Great shop and great service.
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Love seeing these on here.... very few Ridleys about where i ride.
    This is my non ISP model.

8704008309_d6efea84fc.jpg
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    lovely bike, has me drooling and searching for one. not made any more by the looks of it... :(
  • Dezza
    frazered wrote:
    lovely bike, has me drooling and searching for one. not made any more by the looks of it... :(

You could look at the Fenix? The decals are a little louder but its not a million miles away from the old damocles.
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Nice to see the negative of mine. Wheels look good on that too. It deserves some deeper sections. I found this online a while ago. Yum.

DSC05987.JPG

How big is your frame Dezza? That head tube looks vast!
  • Dezza
    Now thats nice! I've often wished I'd gone for the black frame, it has a more menacing look to it.

Its an XL frame.

Comparing the two mine looks a bit like a clown's bike haha.
  • TKF
    XL! Blimey how tall are you then? I'm 6' and hasbeen is 6'2'' so hardly dwarves and we're both on medium frames.

Maybe you need some 900c wheels to scale it up. Those exist, right?
  • Dezza
    I'm 6ft4 but I've got long legs. The seat post on a large frame was extended a little too far so opted for the XL. However, I've had to fit a shorter 100mm stem and shallower reach bars.
  • TKF
    Gotcha. Looks good in the white either way.

My Allez is white so I fancied a black bike this time round.
  • rm345
    rm345 Posts: 9
    Here's the Campagnolo Centaur version with regular seatpost also from Wiggle.

V17yYcI.jpg?1

Was a bit disappointed with the bike's weight when it came - was way over 9kg. Swapped the wheels for Campag Zondas (great upgrade at £260 for 1500g) and the carbon version of the Centaur crankset, and picked up a carbon seatpost and saddle from eBay for a reasonable price. It's at around 7.5kg now which is decent.

Would love to cut the steerer down a bit but not sure on how to move the expander down a bit? Anyone tried this?

Also got quite a creaky sound coming from bottom bracket area (or could be carbon seatpost) even though I've swapped out the crankset and BB cups. Need to sort that - hope it's not the frame...
  • Dezza
    rm345 wrote:
    Also got quite a creaky sound coming from bottom bracket area (or could be carbon seatpost) even though I've swapped out the crankset and BB cups. Need to sort that - hope it's not the frame...

Nice ride! Loving these black frames with black chainset.

I'm also getting creaks. Usually when climbing out of the saddle.... i'll be interested to know how you resolve it.
  • TKF
    I was tempted with the Campy version but I'm familiar with Shimano so stayed with it. I see we have the same two-tone bar tape...

Mine has no creaks even under full load. Not that my full load is much to write home about.

I'm surprised yours came in so heavy. I thought the Centaur was lighter than Ultegra? Mine came in at 8.5kg with Ultegra pedals.
  • rm345
    Dezza wrote:
    rm345 wrote:

Nice ride! Loving these black frames with black chainset.

I'm also getting creaks. Usually when climbing out of the saddle.... i'll be interested to know how you resolve it.

Mine too - only when I'm out of the saddle. Is yours the regular seatpost? I noticed there's a bit of room until you tighten the clamp so wondered if the frame flexing slightly when climbing. Also TKF isn't getting it with his ISP version.
  • rm345
    TKF wrote:
    I was tempted with the Campy version but I'm familiar with Shimano so stayed with it. I see we have the same two-tone bar tape...

Mine has no creaks even under full load. Not that my full load is much to write home about.

I'm surprised yours came in so heavy. I thought the Centaur was lighter than Ultegra? Mine came in at 8.5kg with Ultegra pedals.

Yeah I'm only 69kg. Might be seatpost? (See above).

Why it came in so heavy: seatpost was about 350g where your ISP has a bit of carbon. Also it had a Miche (not campy) cassette which was weirdly like 18-27 and weighed about double the Centaur cassette. "Special Edition" (whatever we've got lying about) I guess?
  • Dezza
    rm345 wrote:
    Mine too - only when I'm out of the saddle. Is yours the regular seatpost? I noticed there's a bit of room until you tighten the clamp so wondered if the frame flexing slightly when climbing. Also TKF isn't getting it with his ISP version.

Yep, regular version, no ISP. If it was the frame flexing I would have thought it would have creaked from the start. This phenomenon only started last 4/5 weeks ago :(
  • TKF
    I reckon you are all just producing too much power.

My ISP has got nothing to do with it.
  • Dezza
    Ha... IF ONLY it was true!

I've got a parktool BBT-9 on the way so i'll clean and regrease the bottom bracket to see if that helps.
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    rm345 wrote:

V17yYcI.jpg?1

Was a bit disappointed with the bike's weight when it came - was way over 9kg. Swapped the wheels for Campag Zondas (great upgrade at £260 for 1500g) and the carbon version of the Centaur crankset, and picked up a carbon seatpost and saddle from eBay for a reasonable price. It's at around 7.5kg now which is decent.

Would love to cut the steerer down a bit but not sure on how to move the expander down a bit? Anyone tried this?

It's no problem, take the top cap off (remove stem etc) and loosen the expander bolt. You need to loosen it just enough to tap it down.

(If you loosen it too much the bottom nut will fall inside, if this happens don't panic - you should then be able to lift sleeve out with your fingers or carefully prise it up with a screwdriver in one of the slots. Once you have, turn bike upside down to get the nut out - remember forks will no longer be attached so hold forks/headtube/headset together if you can. Once you have bottom nut - re install to new position and retighten.

Did it on mine, wasn't a problem. Would keep a 5 mm spacer above the stem though as the expander/top cap combo needs the steerer cut a few mm below.

Great looking bikes, had my eye on them when they were reduced but wasn't decisive enough to get the ultegra version, maybe you got the last one in medium TKF?

I ended up with the 105 version which was pretty good value too, just over a grand. The only issue i had was that the dropout/mech hanger was slightly bent on arrival so had to get the LBS to straighten it with their jig.

Popped my RS80's on mine with some GP4000s and it weighs 8KG exactly.
    No creaks from mine (ISP version).
  • rm345
    Dezza wrote:
    Ha... IF ONLY it was true!

I've got a parktool BBT-9 on the way so i'll clean and regrease the bottom bracket to see if that helps.

I did a whole bunch of reading about creaks when out of the saddle and ended up:
    - Greasing the dropouts both front and rear
    - Greasing the headset spacers
    - Checking the front mech band was tightened

I know that it sounds like it's coming from the BB, but mine did too. I did all of the above and 20 min of riding to work this morning getting out of the saddle plenty to test it and it's quiet as a mouse, so totally recommend trying these before you bother with the BB...
  • rm345
    rm345 wrote:

V17yYcI.jpg?1

It's no problem, take the top cap off (remove stem etc) and loosen the expander bolt. You need to loosen it just enough to tap it down.

(If you loosen it too much the bottom nut will fall inside, if this happens don't panic - you should then be able to lift sleeve out with your fingers or carefully prise it up with a screwdriver in one of the slots. Once you have, turn bike upside down to get the nut out - remember forks will no longer be attached so hold forks/headtube/headset together if you can. Once you have bottom nut - re install to new position and retighten.

Did it on mine, wasn't a problem. Would keep a 5 mm spacer above the stem though as the expander/top cap combo needs the steerer cut a few mm below.

Great looking bikes, had my eye on them when they were reduced but wasn't decisive enough to get the ultegra version, maybe you got the last one in medium TKF?

I ended up with the 105 version which was pretty good value too, just over a grand. The only issue i had was that the dropout/mech hanger was slightly bent on arrival so had to get the LBS to straighten it with their jig.

No creaks from mine (ISP version).

Ok thanks for the advice - I'll take a look this weekend. That stack of spacers irritates me every time I ride it - just looks bad.

Did you have any trouble cutting the steerer? I've cut aluminium before but not carbon...
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    No troubles, use a good quality hacksaw blade, spray a little water or wd40 over the steerer to keep the dust down as I don't think you want to be breathing it in.
  • hasbeen
    TKF wrote:
    I reckon you are all just producing too much power.

My ISP has got nothing to do with it.

I reckon that as well - should be a useless old knacker like me who barely gets his best bike out unless the sun's shining :oops:
    No creaks or rattles for me (well not from the bike anyway)
  • hasbeen
    rm345 wrote:
    It's at around 7.5kg now which is decent.

I feel so ashamed - I have ZERO idea what the rig weighs and tbh I never have had a idea what the weights were of any of my previous bikes going back over 20+ years. I've had nice kit but have never actually stopped to work out what the damn things weigh in at. I shall see if I can do something about it tonight with the bathroom scales - hope Mrs Hasbeen doesn't question why I'm taking her scales into the garage.....
  • hasbeen
    Dezza wrote:
    I'm 6ft4 but I've got long legs. The seat post on a large frame was extended a little too far so opted for the XL. However, I've had to fit a shorter 100mm stem and shallower reach bars.

aka the Edwig Van Hooydonk look 8) (although I suspect this may be a bit *old* for you youngsters out there)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    7.5 kgs is a respectable weight. Don't forget that's a 1200 gram frame not 800 grams and there's nothing wrong with that.

I was in Lake Como recently and hired it's replacement, a Ridley Fenix with Centaur. It wasn't light as well and probably rode more solidly and confidently because of that.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • hasbeen
    7.5 kgs is a respectable weight. Don't forget that's a 1200 gram frame not 800 grams and there's nothing wrong with that.

I was in Lake Como recently and hired it's replacement, a Ridley Fenix with Centaur. It wasn't light as well and probably rode more solidly and confidently because of that.

Bike geek point - A stock Ridley Fenix was ridden to third in Flanders this year by Jurgen Roelandts.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... ix-classic

There's always been an obsession with weight in cycling and always will be, but sometimes something that's *slightly* heavier will be a better bet.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    lovely bike though...
  • rm345
    hasbeen wrote:

Bike geek point - A stock Ridley Fenix was ridden to third in Flanders this year by Jurgen Roelandts.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... ix-classic

There's always been an obsession with weight in cycling and always will be, but sometimes something that's *slightly* heavier will be a better bet.

Oh wow that's nice. Would love some deep Campag wheels like that. Also internal cable routing would have been neat on the Damocles. But these are minor points - I absolutely love it.
  • Dezza
    Wondering if someone can advise. While trying to hunt down this creaking, I found my headset bottom bearing race was in a horrible state. I've stripped, cleaned and re greased but it needs replacing. Can someone recommend a bearing cartridge size for the Damocles?
  • deanhunter
    deanhunter Posts: 1
    I also have a Ridley Damocles ISP with the Ultegra and it is by far not only the best bike I've ridden but the best looking as well and always draws quite a bit of attnetion when out and about. The White front forks are a pain to keep clean like but I have a cloth to hand at all times haha!

regarding the
    Dezza wrote:
    Wondering if someone can advise. While trying to hunt down this creaking, I found my headset bottom bearing race was in a horrible state. I've stripped, cleaned and re greased but it needs replacing. Can someone recommend a bearing cartridge size for the Damocles?

Also wondering if you managed to solve the creaking as mentioned? I had a similar issue and it turned out that one of my drop outs was not properly tightened causing the rear wheel to be sitting at a slight angle... i simply straightened it and tightened it and my bike now runs like a stealth machine. Or has the change in the bottom bearing fixed the issued?