Carb Powder

craigleese
craigleese Posts: 68
Hi

I'm thinking about purchasing carbohydrate powder to have before and after long rides (I already have a recovery protein/carb powder shake after rides). I'm 12 stone and 6ft4 so I don't want to loose weight on the longer rides. I'm also thinking having 100g of carb powder before a ride will increase energy levels ? Day before I ride I eat as many carbs as my body will take then have weetabix the morning of ride) I have a balanced diet with the odd junk food ;)

The carb powder is made of Maltodextrin apparently, not sure if that's good or bad ?

Has anybody tried just having carb powder or have any experiences they would like to share ?

All advice welcome.. Good or bad
Craig :D
Sorry in advance for any bad grammar

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    Really its meant to be had while riding. If you want cards before you ride then have some pasta rice sandwich etc. If your about to race or TT then its fine to have some of the powder as its never a great idea to have anything too heavy before heavy work. Unless you will really be trying quite hard then there isnt necessarily a reason to have the powder, make some flapjack, brown bread jam sandwiches or something like that as that will do the job just be cheaper :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    craigleese wrote:
    Day before I ride I eat as many carbs as my body will take

how often and how far do you ride?
  • At the moment I'm doing 3 intense turbo sessions a week & 70-80 Sat or Sun.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried eating actual food during the long rides? Malt loaf, fig rolls, cereal bars etc?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Only gels & bars my friend.. Sometimes stop for lunch on really long days when in the saddle for 6-7 hours
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Maltodextrin is high GI, about 85 on the scale, so if you want really fast instant energy which should fuel the first half hour!

For longer rides then more complex carbs will give energy for longer, try something that takes a little longer to get into your system, as others have suggested maybe try, food :D

Or add your Maltodextrin to your flapjack mix instead of sugar for a balance of simple and complex carbs to even out the GI.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    craigleese wrote:
    At the moment I'm doing 3 intense turbo sessions a week & 70-80 Sat or Sun.

Normal diet should be able to cope with that kind of training load without too many problems, together with eating 'normal' food on the long ride, as Herbsman suggests. 'Carbo-loading' sounds excessive to be honest.
  • Cheers for the advice folks!

It was one of my amazing thoughts which I was interested to see what other people thought.

I'll continue to eat like I do & not purchase the carb powder as originally planned. I'll also try 'foods' during my ride!

Much appreciated
  • Herbsman
    You should buy it if you're going to race or time trial, as it might come in useful.

Also, have you tried crab powder?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Nope never even heard of it ..
  • team47b wrote:
    For longer rides then more complex carbs will give energy for longer, try something that takes a little longer to get into your system, as others have suggested maybe try, food :D

:lol: team47b I'll be sure to try some food
  • Herbsman