Don't feed the narcissist

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
This is an appeal on behalf of the people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder...

Narcissistic personality disorder is a type of mental condition.

When a person suffers from it, he views himself as more important than he is, at least to others. He also tends to need and desire the admiration of others far more than most people consider normal. A person with this condition often disregards how other people feel and what they need, as he feels that others are inferior. However, this mental condition is complex, as the sufferer tends to have shaky self esteem, even while he exaggerates his own importance.

This mental condition is categorized as a personality disorder. Narcissistic personality disorder, like similar disorders that affect the personality, is marked by personality traits and behaviors that cause distress in social situations and often strain personal relationships. These traits and behaviors may also cause problems with performance in school or at work. A person with this disorder may be seen as overly emotional and dramatic, which may eventually push family, friends, and associates away.

Typically, a person with narcissistic personality disorder will believe he is better than others and may indulge in fantasies concerning amazing levels of success and far-reaching power. He may have an exaggerated view of his own attractiveness and achievements, and feel a need for continuous praise. He may set unreasonable goals and feel deeply wounded by any type of criticism.

Many of the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder are relatively easy to identify. They include an overinflated opinion of the self, a desire for and expectation of constant praise from others, a lack of empathy toward others and a tendency to be harshly critical. Additional features of the condition include fantasizing about success and eventually receiving the recognition of others, being concerned if possessions, appearance, or self are not perfect, exploiting others to get things, and having an extremely fragile self-esteem that is marked by underlying deep self-criticism and fear of shame.

It should be understood that symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder represent a spectrum. Most people have their moments of excessive self-criticism or grandiosity, of envying others or of having fragile self-esteem. These don’t represent a disorder, provided a person’s relationships to others or ability to function in the world is not constantly being impacted by these things.

One of the areas where this is the case is when adolescents are assessed for narcissistic personality disorder. Many teenagers would appear to have this condition due to their developmental stage and their fundamental work in forming an identity separate from caregivers at this time. Generally, though exceptions exist, narcissistic personality disorder is not diagnosed until people are in adulthood.

We need to be more supportive of this mental condition, please don't give generously :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    :D:wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What type of car doesn't he drive :?:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Red or white?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sh1t, I think I have that.

Hang on. No I don't, I'm freaking awesome.

See you later losers.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    "A person with this disorder may be seen as overly emotional and dramatic, which may eventually push family, friends, and associates away." Leaving only the internet as a source of comfort and value confirmation. Sufferers may well join random forum sites to establish tenuous human connections and actually take up previously discounted hobbies and sports to facilitate and legitimize this behavioural pattern.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    This is a forum aimed at people with an interest in cycling and we all have a right to be heard despite whatever personality traits we may have be they real or imagined by other forumites.

Some folk' views and attitudes on hear for one reason or another make me sick but hey-ho it all makes for a more interesting place to visit.

If you ever view question time on bbc the best editions are when the panel are split rather than when there is a consensus of opinion, this forum is the same.

Obviously the OP is a thinly veiled sideswipe at we know who and i take it "tongue in cheek" as thats how I interpret it's meant; and I'm sorry if I've come over a bit pious in this post. I quite enjoy watching various posters fall out over some things and then on other issues being of the same POV.

Let's keep this place what it is, a good place to visit.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go and count my money. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    This is a forum aimed at people with an interest in cycling and we all have a right to be heard despite whatever personality traits we may have be they real or imagined by other forumites.

Some folk' views and attitudes on hear for one reason or another make me sick but hey-ho it all makes for a more interesting place to visit.

If you ever view question time on bbc the best editions are when the panel are split rather than when there is a consensus of opinion, this forum is the same.

Obviously the OP is a thinly veiled sideswipe at we know who and i take it "tongue in cheek" as thats how I interpret it's meant; and I'm sorry if I've come over a bit pious in this post. I quite enjoy watching various posters fall out over some things and then on other issues being of the same POV.

Don't forget the wine :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Question is - Who is worse, the narcissist or the person who judges him?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    team47b wrote:
    This is an appeal on behalf of the people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder...

Narcissistic personality disorder is a type of mental condition.

When a person suffers from it, he views himself as more important than he is, at least to others. He also tends to need and desire the admiration of others far more than most people consider normal. A person with this condition often disregards how other people feel and what they need, as he feels that others are inferior. However, this mental condition is complex, as the sufferer tends to have shaky self esteem, even while he exaggerates his own importance.

This mental condition is categorized as a personality disorder. Narcissistic personality disorder, like similar disorders that affect the personality, is marked by personality traits and behaviors that cause distress in social situations and often strain personal relationships. These traits and behaviors may also cause problems with performance in school or at work. A person with this disorder may be seen as overly emotional and dramatic, which may eventually push family, friends, and associates away.

Typically, a person with narcissistic personality disorder will believe he is better than others and may indulge in fantasies concerning amazing levels of success and far-reaching power. He may have an exaggerated view of his own attractiveness and achievements, and feel a need for continuous praise. He may set unreasonable goals and feel deeply wounded by any type of criticism.

Many of the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder are relatively easy to identify. They include an overinflated opinion of the self, a desire for and expectation of constant praise from others, a lack of empathy toward others and a tendency to be harshly critical. Additional features of the condition include fantasizing about success and eventually receiving the recognition of others, being concerned if possessions, appearance, or self are not perfect, exploiting others to get things, and having an extremely fragile self-esteem that is marked by underlying deep self-criticism and fear of shame.

It should be understood that symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder represent a spectrum. Most people have their moments of excessive self-criticism or grandiosity, of envying others or of having fragile self-esteem. These don’t represent a disorder, provided a person’s relationships to others or ability to function in the world is not constantly being impacted by these things.

One of the areas where this is the case is when adolescents are assessed for narcissistic personality disorder. Many teenagers would appear to have this condition due to their developmental stage and their fundamental work in forming an identity separate from caregivers at this time. Generally, though exceptions exist, narcissistic personality disorder is not diagnosed until people are in adulthood.

We need to be more supportive of this mental condition, please don't give generously :D

I think you are wonderful and can't believe you haven't received the recognition you so richly deserve.
    I am not worthy, o Great One
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I work with kids who frequently come with psychobabble labels attached - ADHD, OCD (and OCD), Aspergers, and yes, we have had kids with narcissistic disorders suspected, although as the OP quite rightly says, pretty much all psychological disorders sound like the average teenager so they get discounted.
    And it never ceases to amaze me how much some regular posters remind me of my kids. But I suspect that there is something about the anonymous, invisible, asynchronous nature of forum communication that makes us all - and I do mean all - incline towards behaving like that; or even just to appear that way. After all, I know perfectly well that all the posts where I've looked a bit of a plonker are entirely due to the medium interfering with the accurate communication of my intelligent, charming personality.
  • who is this aimed at?!!
  • ShutUpLegs
    VTech wrote:
    Some of you people are freakin odd, I'm so glad I don't have you as friends.
  • This is a forum aimed at people with an interest in cycling and we all have a right to be heard despite whatever personality traits we may have be they real or imagined by other forumites.

+1 Well said Frank. It would be boring if we were all the same, wouldn't it?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Some of you people are freakin odd, I'm so glad I don't have you as friends.

To be fair there are some odd people on here! . And not everyone is going to be friends.. As with 'real' life there are people on here whose posts I look out for because I agree with, respect or learn something from them, and there are others who I see they have posted and think 'ok, what crap have they come out with now..'
  • i did suspect as much. however im still waiting for his advise on visiting a grand prix, so dont wish to nark him.

i thought he was a wum at first, what with the amount of arguments/hassle etc he has been involved in in such a short time. but i dont think he is.
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    i thought he was a wum at first, what with the amount of arguments/hassle etc he has been involved in in such a short time. but i dont think he is.

I've come full circle and actually think he's a top class troll now. Nobody, NOBODY, could post what he does with a straight face.
  • Well, this thread is going to get messy...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • bianchimoon
    it's all just too odd, to post a pic of a 'supercar' with the quote

"It sits in the garage as its not too nice to drive, another impulsive purchase but hey ho."

and to tell perfect strangers they are welcome to come around and take it for a spin, amongst other bizarre statements. My money's says it's a former poster winding the forum up.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Joined the forum lately and have spent a fair bit of time looking around.Have read all sorts of posts and seem to have come across all sorts of people,the majority being great ambassadors for the whole pastime of cycling.I am a second time round newbie,and love the sport.I have an old bike and basic sports wear but enjoy my time on the bike.

I came across the thread and person implied and would like to add a comment.Every forum has a person such as this,I have been on chefs forums,land rover forums and woodturning forums and they have all had a character like the one described.
    I just laugh and think to myself 'they are there to make me smile'' and leave it there.One thing I did notice in the car picture though,if it genuinely is his garage,why the rolling road.Looks like a shot lifted from somewhere,another forum maybe! :wink:
    I am familiar with this as I have had photos of my food lifted in a similar way.

Phil
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    Is this the worst forum in the world?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If I came across the worst forum in the world I would definitely post an average of 20 posts a day on it.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    If it is trolling, it's very well done. Or at least good enough to draw me in.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Pross wrote:
    Is this the worst forum in the world?

i think its one of the best for cycling. Though you get out what you put in as they say, if you don't mind a bit of banter and listen to what people say.

Generally speaking most people I come across on BR yourself included seem well balanced and nice chaps/girls.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ooermissus wrote:

"trolling" is such a daft word, its what I expect my younger kids to say, or something on the news about people begging a live suicide victim to kill themselves as they watch.
    Living MY dream.
  • bianchimoon
    VTech wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:

"trolling" is such a daft word, its what I expect my younger kids to say, or something on the news about people begging a live suicide victim to kill themselves as they watch.

ok i'll play along, this is the kind of thing you post that gives the game away "begging a live suicide victim" not the sort of thing any successful, intelligent person would say...
  • bianchimoon
    damm, i'm feeding <bites knuckles>
  • VTech
    It gives nothing away, the way groups of people pack together to attack is exactly as I described above.
    Lets say I was ill, there is a chance I am, and you guys were the last straw and I did something untoward ?
    How would you feel ? I guess in reality almost all of you would be pig sick, the fact is that in reality you dont know me, and of course have no idea how I would react to the consistent abuse I get. Now to make you feel a little better, im not suicidal, it would in fact take far more than childish play to make me do that but you get my point.
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs

He'll be gone soon :wink:
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

He'll be gone soon :wink:

I am quickly getting fed up :wink: and I will be working away a lot so will have less time to play with you and your buddies.
    Living MY dream.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Troll here simply refers to the possibility that you've made up a character (vtech) and are now enjoying seeing others react to deliberate provocations. Maybe not true, but always possible on the internet, where people do tend to make up stuff for fun.