Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Giant P-XC2 Freebody Hub removal?

joerodmanjoerodman Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have a Giant Trance with factory stock P-XC2 wheelset (rims, spoke and hubs). The freebody has developed some play (I think a collapsed bearing) and for the life of me, I cannot remove it. I have removed the quick release skewers, cassette and used a puller (as a pusher) to remove the axle. I now cannot see what to do. There is not a 10mm or 12mm hex bolt to release and I've tried pulling with an axle clamp (like on a DT Swiss hub), which did not work. Any advice on dismantling and parts location would be greatly welcomed. Also, I'm trying to avoid a full hub replacement at all costs (spoke installation isn't my idea of fun).
Thanks in advance

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    there will be a bolt to undo.

pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joerodmanjoerodman Posts: 20
    Pic of hub
    Straight on?

So we can see in the body?

But I would say there. Is a 12 point 11mm Allen bolt in there. So try a 7/16" Allen key.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Here is a strainght on. the bore is smooth
    and at the bottom?

removal from the other side?
    The other side is just a bearing for the axle (removed in this pic)
  • Pic of the freehub from Giant B2B is attached. As nicklouise said, it should be an 11mm Allen bolt from above the freehub. Anti-Clockwise as norm.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement or compatible part?
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's just a bearing, get the old one out and check the codes. Plenty online, or take it into a bearing dealer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just call up ANY Giant dealer? They can order the part from Giant.....