Giant P-XC2 Freebody Hub removal?

joerodman
joerodman Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have a Giant Trance with factory stock P-XC2 wheelset (rims, spoke and hubs). The freebody has developed some play (I think a collapsed bearing) and for the life of me, I cannot remove it. I have removed the quick release skewers, cassette and used a puller (as a pusher) to remove the axle. I now cannot see what to do. There is not a 10mm or 12mm hex bolt to release and I've tried pulling with an axle clamp (like on a DT Swiss hub), which did not work. Any advice on dismantling and parts location would be greatly welcomed. Also, I'm trying to avoid a full hub replacement at all costs (spoke installation isn't my idea of fun).
Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there will be a bolt to undo.

pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joerodman
    Pic of hub
  • nicklouse
    Straight on?

So we can see in the body?

But I would say there. Is a 12 point 11mm Allen bolt in there. So try a 7/16" Allen key.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • joerodman
    Here is a strainght on. the bore is smooth
  • nicklouse
    and at the bottom?

removal from the other side?
  • joerodman
    The other side is just a bearing for the axle (removed in this pic)
  • Pic of the freehub from Giant B2B is attached. As nicklouise said, it should be an 11mm Allen bolt from above the freehub. Anti-Clockwise as norm.

• joerodman
    I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement or compatible part?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's just a bearing, get the old one out and check the codes. Plenty online, or take it into a bearing dealer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just call up ANY Giant dealer? They can order the part from Giant.....
  • benali
    benali Posts: 49
    edited April 2023

I have the same problem on my p-xc2 rear freehub - it's very wobbly.
    What was is the method to remove?
    Is it serviceable or a replacement freehub required?
  • benali
    benali Posts: 49

I've got the axle and ds bearing bearing out.
    Just how to get the freehub off?
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Same as the original comments above. You'll need a big Allen key (probably 11mm or around that size). You could slot two smaller Allen keys in side by side to determine the correct size, you might even be able to get the freehub unscrewed with them but it's usually on tight.

The bolt you're undoing is usually behind the freehub/driveside so slot the Allen key/s in through the centre of the freehub and unscrew anti clockwise.