Halfords

Spender
Spender Posts: 87
edited March 2013 in Road general
Credit where it is due. I went into a halfords in aberdeen today. The young guy who served me was very knowledgeable and keen. I just really went in for a look around by ended up buying some muc off and brushes etc. I tend to slag shops off for bad service but I actually quite enjoyed my shopping in halfords today.

Just thought I'd say.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Dont worry - he'll soon realise he's in the wrong place and go get a job in a proper bike shop soon!! ;)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    You have a good one then! As with other big chains quality of service can vary a lot. It all depends on who they have in the store.

The Carlisle one seems to have been OK, though I did spot one of their Trax bikes (utter, utter crap!) out in the wild with the forks pointing backwards :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Mikey41 wrote:
    You have a good one then! As with other big chains quality of service can vary a lot. It all depends on who they have in the store.

The Carlisle one seems to have been OK, though I did spot one of their Trax bikes (utter, utter crap!) out in the wild with the forks pointing backwards :lol:

Customer saves £20 if they take them boxed and build them themselves.

There's a lot of good bikehuts out there
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    That probably explains it, the rider didn't strike me as the most intelligent.

Halfords did give good service when I was after a rack and panniers, willing to try a few different ones on the bike to see what fitted, I would buy a bike from them without much worry TBH.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    Dont come down here then, my experience of halfords is utter rubbish.

Buy a bike and dont expect it to be working from them.

Its so expensive in there as well, go elsewhere and you get it for way cheaper.

They even have "halfords value sponges" Haha, this made me howl. £1.49 - for a sponge?
  • Spender
    It's £2.99 for a muc-off sponge. Which do you think will make me go faster? :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's great, but you should really buy a whole bike, kit and have it serviced in there before giving a positive review of the store on a bike forum.

There are just too many bad experiences of the store to drown out the good ones.
    I find it a bit odd that popping in for a browse and buying (being sold?) some cleaner warrants a review at all to be honest.
    What was his 'knowledge' and how/why was it more than you would have expected before going in?
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    We have 3 large Evans stores here, and although they are obviously a lot more bike specific than Halfords, the service is often not a lot better (and how a huge store, stocked to the rafters, can fail to have what you want in store 8 times out of 10, I will never know :shock: The online service is very good, but we're not discussing that :roll: )

I keep reading these threads on how crap the service is in Halfords on here, but how much enthusiasm do you think you (anyone) would be able to raise working for minimum wage, or what ever pittance it is?
    Most jobs these days seem to be run on a 3 month contract, are Halfords any different? I have to admit I don't know, but if I thought I was off down the road every 3 months, I don't think I would have a lot of enthusiasm to bother trying to learn each new job either after a while. :oops:
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Mikey41 wrote:

My friend bought a Carerra from Halfords in Inverness and they built it and gave it their "health check".....

It was only about 8 months later when I went out for a ride with him that I noticed his forks were on back to front!! Mind you, he still had the reflectors on the bike...... :shock: :? :|
    It's been a while...
  • Spender
    Sorry carbonator, i didn't realise there was a full feedback form I had to fill in and a price range i had to exceed before I gave my opinion of the service I got. :wink:

From the chat I had with the employee, we discussed the merits of wet lube and dry lube for chains. We discussed the local bmx scene vs the local road racing scene and the merits of joining British cycling. We discussed the relative pricing and contents of the different cleaning packages available. He was a pleasant enthusiastic chap and seemed knowledgeable about the cleaning and lubricating products available. i like to give credit when i perceive i have received a good service experience as well as moaning when i dont. You are correct though have no idea how good or bad he is as setting up a bike as I have never bought one from halfords. I therefore have no opinion on this.

Just to be clear, I have no connections to the shop in question nor am I a relative or am in any sort of relationship with the person mentioned in my first post. The opinions given are entirely my own one one particular employee in one particular shop at one particular time of day and may not be representative of halfords as a whole.

I'll go back to work now now and keep my opinions to myself. :D
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Oh look someone praising Halfords!!

Prepare to be shunned by the forum glitterati from now to eternity!!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Graydawg wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

My friend bought a Carerra from Halfords in Inverness and they built it and gave it their "health check".....

It was only about 8 months later when I went out for a ride with him that I noticed his forks were on back to front!! Mind you, he still had the reflectors on the bike...... :shock: :? :|

Nice,

Although mine came with the headset loose to fit it in my car, could that have been the case and it not spun round correctly by your mate?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jesus Christ! I can't imagine how that would handle downhill. And the front brake wasn't designed to work that way round either...
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Oh look someone praising Halfords!!

Prepare to be shunned by the forum glitterati from now to eternity!!

Oh, I see now its cool on here to knock Halfords. Fortunately I never need the services of the mechanics at Halfords or LBS but for service alone Halfords and Evans knock spots off my LBS, at least they want to serve you and sell you something unlike the LBS who make you feel your intruding.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Graydawg wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

i cant believe your mate didn't notice before TBH :lol:
  • I've found my local Halfords to be really very good. More friendly and just as knowledgable as my LBS.

When I wanted to try out a road bike for a few days the manager offered to lend me his own bike because company policy wouln't let him lend out a stock bike (understandable really!).

On another occasion I needed a new spoke. My LBS didn't have one in stock. Neither did Halfords, but the assistant went out back and salvaged one from an old bike. He then refused to take any money for it.

I can't fault them. I've been pleasantly surprised with the service I've had.
  • Spender wrote:
    Credit where it is due. I went into a halfords in aberdeen today. The young guy who served me was very knowledgeable and keen. I just really went in for a look around by ended up buying some muc off and brushes etc. I tend to slag shops off for bad service but I actually quite enjoyed my shopping in halfords today.

Just thought I'd say.

Count yourself lucky you didnt buy a bike from there. They are ^&*%in crap, really crap. They will do for oils and spare inner tubes etc but not for anything even remotely complex. I had persistent problems with a carrera bike once and I took it back several times to be repaired. Each time they repaired it, the bike worked only for a week or 2 before becoming screwed up again. Getting a refund from them was a huge hassle and I will not be going to that store again. Not even for oils and spares.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Spender wrote:

Just thought I'd say.

Count yourself lucky you didnt buy a bike from there. They are ^&*%in crap, really crap. They will do for oils and spare inner tubes etc but not for anything even remotely complex. I had persistent problems with a carrera bike once and I took it back several times to be repaired. Each time they repaired it, the bike worked only for a week or 2 before becoming screwed up again. Getting a refund from them was a huge hassle and I will not be going to that store again. Not even for oils and spares.
    If it wasn't remotely complex then why didn't you fix it yourself?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    Spender wrote:

Just thought I'd say.

If it wasn't remotely complex then why didn't you fix it yourself?

He's saying his issue was complex - ie they are ok for simple things but not complex things :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iGaz
    iGaz Posts: 36
    Carbonator wrote:
    That's great, but you should really buy a whole bike, kit and have it serviced in there before giving a positive review of the store on a bike forum.

There are just too many bad experiences of the store to drown out the good ones.
    I find it a bit odd that popping in for a browse and buying (being sold?) some cleaner warrants a review at all to be honest.
    What was his 'knowledge' and how/why was it more than you would have expected before going in?

Sorry Carbonator but when did you write the rules of a forum, and when did you own the right to speak for every shop thats around, and when did the rule be written that to many bad comments about something out weigh the good comments meaning a shop is not to be held in good light. Your basically saying that because 1 shops bad then they all must be bad and because 2 bad comments to 1 bad comment renders the named shop useless. My Local Halfords is actually very good and if their is a bad member of staff their I don't make the assumption that all the staff are bad to.

Evans have the same problem and nearly every shop in any department goes through the same things you can't please everyone just like you can't speak for everyone.

Please be a little more respectful when making a broad assumption like you have. It's nice that ppl acknowledge good and bad experiences when they have had them but you have made a broad statement that doesn't really prove anything.

ASDA is S**t wasn't happy with the beans I bought today so avoiding all the ASDA's :mrgreen:
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The four halfords local to me (bike wise) are all poor and even "dangerous"?
    Loose headsets, QR wheels not tight, loose pedals.

My friends and I go there for the cheapness of the bikes, nothing else.
    We now know about decathlon too so even for cheap bikes they will be avoided.
    If you have a good branch then you are indeed lucky, just hope your reference to the "bad member of staff" isn't the one tweeking your bike.

Tesco beans FTW.....
  • Anonymous
    iGaz wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Sorry Carbonator but when did you write the rules of a forum, and when did you own the right to speak for every shop thats around, and when did the rule be written that to many bad comments about something out weigh the good comments meaning a shop is not to be held in good light. Your basically saying that because 1 shops bad then they all must be bad and because 2 bad comments to 1 bad comment renders the named shop useless. My Local Halfords is actually very good and if their is a bad member of staff their I don't make the assumption that all the staff are bad to.

Evans have the same problem and nearly every shop in any department goes through the same things you can't please everyone just like you can't speak for everyone.

Please be a little more respectful when making a broad assumption like you have. It's nice that ppl acknowledge good and bad experiences when they have had them but you have made a broad statement that doesn't really prove anything.

ASDA is S**t wasn't happy with the beans I bought today so avoiding all the ASDA's :mrgreen:

Er, I don't think thats what I said at all!

So, ok you love Halfords and think its a great bikeshop. Fine. Buy your bike and have it serviced there then :wink:

I have bought a bike there and would again (only because you have no option with the Boardmans, and I certainly would check it over and never have it serviced there), but its still a sh1t bike store in mine and a lot of peoples opinion.
    I stand by what I said and think you just did not understand it.
    If you take no account of all the bad Halfords reviews/comments, then why would you be keen to hear the one the OP made?

Great that you have a good local Halfords. I am not a Halfords hater, I just say it as it is. I would love it if they were fantastic bike shops, and had high hopes when they set up Bike Hut.
    What is it you like about your Halfords? Is it in anyway bike related?
    I don't want to presume anything, but it does sound a little like you might work there, know someone who does or just buy your car accessories there.

What kind of crap analogy is the Asda beans thing! If you are going to use analogies, you need to come up with better, more relevant ones :wink:
  • iGaz
    Carbonator wrote:
    iGaz wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

What kind of crap analogy is the Asda beans thing! If you are going to use analogies, you need to come up with better, more relevant ones :wink:

Just bought a pasty from Gregs but the girl give me a sausage roll, all the staff are useless and am avoiding them.

If I worked at Halfords I certainly wouldn't be bigging it up thats not a cool thing to do is it ?

Anyway you can onyl speak from your personal experiences and yes mine is great and some of the staff are not as clued up as the rest but I don't blanket them all with my opinion as that wouldn't be fair to say they are all bad.

I was surprised today however to find not one member of staff their knew that they now sell Pinnarello so I may have a rethink :mrgreen:
  • Anonymous
    iGaz wrote:

If I worked at Halfords I certainly wouldn't be bigging it up thats not a cool thing to do is it ?

I was surprised today however to find not one member of staff their knew that they now sell Pinnarello so I may have a rethink :mrgreen:

You were in there today? :shock: Are you applying to get a job there? :wink:

Never mind the Pinarello's, the staff member and manager of our store did not even know they do a British Cycling discount :?

Come on, own up, you have a friend or partner that works there don't you?
    There is nothing wrong with sticking up for Halfords if you do, or even if you had worked for them :wink:
  • iGaz
    Carbonator wrote:
    iGaz wrote:

You were in there today? :shock: Are you applying to get a job there? :wink:

Never mind the Pinarello's, the staff member and manager of our store did not even know they do a British Cycling discount :?

Come on, own up, you have a friend or partner that works there don't you?
    There is nothing wrong with sticking up for Halfords if you do, or even if you had worked for them :wink:

I am Formby Cycles and chester Bike factory supporter in that department but Halfords is always great for my accessories. I got my Topeak Panniers and bracket from their since then they have been on my good shop list lol.
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    Why does nearly every thread on here end with stupid arguments?!!
  • iGaz
    litwardle wrote:
    Why does nearly every thread on here end with stupid arguments?!!

who's arguing ?

and what was your post meant to achieve ?
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    Ha ha there it goes! :) A good things about Halfords and there is a long line of people to tell him that he's wrong?! Ha ha feel free to line up behind me now :)

Edit. Oh I see it's you! ha ha ha
  • iGaz
    litwardle wrote:
    Ha ha there it goes! :) A good things about Halfords and there is a long line of people to tell him that he's wrong?! Ha ha feel free to line up behind me now :)

Edit. Oh I see it's you! ha ha ha

Ok I'm confused by what you mean.

What is the situation with the F1 jacket and is it still being auctioned
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    Dont worry - he'll soon realise he's in the wrong place and go get a job in a proper bike shop soon!! ;)

+1