Assos Bibshort Advice

nick300zx
nick300zx Posts: 219
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've got a few 100 mile + rides coming up and I thought I'd treat my Ar*e to some Assos bibs :D

I haven't a huge budget but have a choice between Assos T FI.Uno S5 and T Pro Bib Short S2 with a Fi.13 S2 insert.

I know the S2 is the older pad but it seems that the Fi.13 is better than the Uno.

Has anyone had experience of both? Is it worth going with the newer version S5 or the 'better quality' S2?

I guessing that either is going to be a improvement on my current Pearl Izumi ones.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Either will be fine, but I'd recommend the f1 mille for all day in the saddle
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've only ever used the FI Uno and did a handful of 100+ mile runs last year for the first time and they were comfy enough for me. :D
  • nick300zx
    mjbennett wrote:
    Either will be fine, but I'd recommend the f1 mille for all day in the saddle

Thanks though I think the Mille are out of my price range.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I would go for the older S2 pad, much better for me than the S5, but it's very much of a personal thing. Where are you finding the T Pro Bib Short S2 with a Fi.13 S2 ?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Dont post on here where you are getting the S2 ones, send him a PM (purely from the selfish point of view that i dont want the website i think it is from getting too popular...it is like a secret stash at the moment :D )
  • nick300zx
    Dont post on here where you are getting the S2 ones, send him a PM (purely from the selfish point of view that i dont want the website i think it is from getting too popular...it is like a secret stash at the moment :D )

LOL, Good point although it's not too hard to find. :D
  • nick300zx
    giant man wrote:
    . Where are you finding the T Pro Bib Short S2 with a Fi.13 S2 ?

PM sent. Ssshhh :mrgreen:
  • giant_man
    lol
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    As a fellow Assos fan could somebody PM me and I'll keep it a secret :wink:
    Brian B.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Brian PM sent

Quite timely this, as I was debating between getting exactly the same pair of shorts, or another set of Free Race Aeros. What would people recommend? I got some FRAs last year for a Paris to London rider and they were great, but I hear everyone go on about Assos. Thanks :)

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Thanks for tip - appreciated. My whole cycling wardrobe is now comprised of Assos and have been building it up over the years but cannot help that occasional impulse buy at bargain prices
    Brian B.
  • nick300zx
    Ordered the T Pro Bibs. :D

Thanks for the advice.

My first bit of Assos kit. Hope it lives up to all the hype and great reviews
  • giant_man
    Brian B wrote:
    Thanks for tip - appreciated. My whole cycling wardrobe is now comprised of Assos and have been building it up over the years but cannot help that occasional impulse buy at bargain prices
    +1 - yes Brian, I tend to do the same thing, always worth it of course
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    Hi Guys

Looking for some Assos myself, totally baffeled by the different specs of all the Assos Shorts.

Could someone PM me the website details of this secret Assos supplier....

Cheers
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Just google search - T Pro Bib Short S2 with a Fi.13 S2 and look at the first results...
    tick - tick - tick
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    :roll:
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    Cheers

Just ordered some.

Hope they are worth it :D
  • Hi Guys,

New to the forum and interested in extending my Assos collection.

What this secret Assos stash you're on about, sounds very interesting....
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Thread resurrection.

Did anyone order these in the end? I am looking to buy some of these for my trip in June to la france. Are people happy with them? How is the fit? Is it loose like the Milles or a bit more race oriented like the Uno's?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Brian B wrote:

Could someone plz pm me the details too, I need a new pair of bib shorts?

feeling a little left out! :cry:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    goonz wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

Could someone plz pm me the details too, I need a new pair of bib shorts?

feeling a little left out! :cry:
    metronome wrote:
    Just google search - T Pro Bib Short S2 with a Fi.13 S2 and look at the first results...

It's not that difficult. :?:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gabriel959
    Someone bombed my question so I put it up again...

Did anyone order these in the end? I am looking to buy some of these for my trip in June to la france. Are people happy with them? How is the fit? Is it loose like the Milles or a bit more race oriented like the Uno's?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • giant_man
    If you prefer the older S2 insert, then they are sublime. I do, and thoroughly recommend the FI.13 pad. But not the same as the newer S5 insert, of course.
  • gabriel959
    Never had any Assos shorts so can't compare them! :(
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I think I see the site. At the price looks a "cheap" way to check if Assos shorts are as good as the reviews. I note discussion about S2/S5 - what's the real difference?

Thanks,
    Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • nick300zx
    They are my first pair of Assos bibs as well but compared to my cheaper Pearl Izumi attack and Endura FS260 pros they are in a league of their own!
    I found the fit to be more race like, almost compression on legs. The S2 insert is brilliant so far for me. I've done a couple of 65+ mile rides without any discomfort, where as with the other pairs I lasted about 35-40 miles before the numbness started.
    The best bit though is the famous Assos customer service. I had an off a couple of weeks ago and holed one of the leg panels. Sent it off to Switzerland last Tuesday, just had an email to say that they are repaired and awaiting despatch. Almost paid for themselves already. :D
  • giant_man
    edited April 2013
    The newer S5 insert is much larger than the orange S2, almost 'nappy like' in comparison. I have both and much prefer the older S2 pad. Great shame they don't still offer more shorts with the older insert in, but great you can still get these. But my last pair of FI.13s lasted some 7 or 8 years. Its a bit like saddles; either they're gonna suit your ar*e or they're not.

FI13_S5_zps39038e28.jpg
    FI13_S2_zps00d8bab2.jpeg
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Fab - thanks for the explanation.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I recently bought a set with the S2 pad from the afore-not-mentioned-outlet (due to this thread I may add)

I don't have any other premium bibs to compare them too but they are super-mega comfy. Normally after 50 miles I am fidgeting in the saddle but after 60 miles in these I could have broken out the smoking jacket and brandy :P
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    How about sizing? Are they Euro sizes, ie small?