Happy to sad in 10 seconds BA rant.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    A MacBook, change I clothes and shorts as tshirt for the gym. Ohh, and this weeks cycle magazine.
    Sadly I'm working or was meant to be, I'm now being driven back to the hotel as the snow has shut the project down.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I think you missed my play on your wording, which I thought you did deliberately. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    VTech doesn't do jokes. Beyond monetary/materialistic value he only deals in arbitrary units of compassion. :lol:
  • VTech
    daviesee wrote:
    I think you missed my play on your wording, which I thought you did deliberately. :wink:

I absolutely got your jest and thought it quite funny, I was sat next to a work colleague and I swear to you I told him some guy called ekimike will pop up and say I cant get jokes, I thought it would take longer but no, you were right on cue :)
    Living MY dream.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Vtech, I hope you have learned your lesson not to get onto planes with idiot familes
  • VTech
    Vtech, I hope you have learned your lesson not to get onto planes with idiot familes

I would rather share a drink or meal with such a family than anyone of the people a using a simple mistake on this thread. I'm proud to have compassion, Im proud that I feel discomfort when others suffer, regardless of wether it was mistake or not.
    There is no lesson for me to be had here other than again being confronted by people of whom I wouldn't give a seconds thought in real life.
    Living MY dream.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    VTech wrote:
    There is no lesson for me to be had here other than again being confronted by people of whom I wouldn't give a seconds thought in real life.

That's rather lacking in compassion. I'd give it an arbitrary compassion-unit rating of ZERO. :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    VTech wrote:

I would rather share a drink or meal with such a family than anyone of the people a using a simple mistake on this thread. I'm proud to have compassion, Im proud that I feel discomfort when others suffer, regardless of wether it was mistake or not.

Shall we have that put on your grave stone?
  • VTech
    I wouldn't think so. Ill let my wife decide that.
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod wrote:
    the excess policy may well be documented, but the charge is exploitative

Exploitation implies the the person affected can do nothing about the situation, such as charging for wheelchairs. The rule is entirely non-exploitative as the passenger is 100% in charge of what they bring with them, and they have the means to check themselves.

Anyone with half a brain would have taken stuff out of the suitcases and worn them.

And anyone who starts the argument about passenger weight plus baggage issue is just spoiling for an argument as if such a measure had been implemented, then they would be the first to complain about unfairly 'exploiting' fatties.

I'm flying BA on Thursday and will be, as normal, within my allowance. Next week it'll probably be Emirates and I might be borderline for that one, but whatever happens its my choice adn exploitation doesn't come into it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    My take on this:

Where were they flying that they needed to take such a stash of nappies etc. that it would take the cases overlimit? Unless it was to some developing country why not take enough for the journey and buy the rest there?

As the children would have been entitled to a luggage allowance why not just pack an extra case?

Yes, it's a lot of money (and more than it should have been if the weights are correct and the BA policy is as posted above) but even though I'm not a big one for reading small print one thing I always check is baggage allowance and I then weigh each case before hand and aim to be at least 1kg under.

As for carry on luggage, I really wish the one bag each rule would be enforced. Flying back from NY recently (with BA ironically) there were people filling up loads of overhead locker space with their flight bag plus shopping leaving others unable to put their stuff anywhere (and ultimately someone's case falling out on my head :evil: ).
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Pross wrote:
    My take on this:

Where were they flying that they needed to take such a stash of nappies etc. that it would take the cases overlimit? Unless it was to some developing country why not take enough for the journey and buy the rest there?

As the children would have been entitled to a luggage allowance why not just pack an extra case?

Yes, it's a lot of money (and more than it should have been if the weights are correct and the BA policy is as posted above) but even though I'm not a big one for reading small print one thing I always check is baggage allowance and I then weigh each case before hand and aim to be at least 1kg under.

As for carry on luggage, I really wish the one bag each rule would be enforced. Flying back from NY recently (with BA ironically) there were people filling up loads of overhead locker space with their flight bag plus shopping leaving others unable to put their stuff anywhere (and ultimately someone's case falling out on my head :evil: ).

+1 for the carry on luggage.
    I've seen cabin luggage bigger than the stuff I had checked in. It has been that heavy, people have needed help to lift and stow it. By this stage it is too late for the airline to do much about it.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Last time I checked in with BA with overweight bags (bag full of tools and hydraulic fittings!!) the check in lady gave me a bag to split them out of my suitcase, she seemed to have a stash of em behind the desk. Dunno if that still happens...but an overweight suitcase is seriously heavy.
  • Pross
    Yep, we were marginally over on one case when flying with Virgin (I think their limit was 22kg and the daughter had moved stuff from one case to another after I weighed them :roll: ). Even that felt incredibly heavy, I ended up using the wheels on the suitcase for the first and only time.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    VTech wrote:
    I realise added weight costs fuel but this takes the mick, that could really hinder the holiday for these guys and whatever reasoning behind weight, £141 per bag is way out of line and totally uncalled for.
    The cost is a disgrace. They could easily have checked in a 3rd bag (assuming at least one of the kids had a full ticket) or even moved some stuff to hand luggage and the airline would not have charged them a penny more for exactly the same total weight carried.

Ripping people off on a technicality - documented or not, is still a rip off.

Having said all that I have no idea why the couple did not just take stuff out of the bags and move it to hand luggage - even chucking it in the bin would be cheaper than forking out £141.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    People actually believe this story? The OP is the biggest Liar since rubber neck and he could stretch them a bit.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    We've just come back from Abu Dhabi with Etihad... they gave us 30kg each. Going out we had 50kg between us (2 of us inc bike in bag) coming back we were right on the money at 60kg. We had 1 carry on bag each which was a small holdall. Other passengers had suitcases as cabin bags - incredible !!! So large and heavy they needed help to shovel it into the overhead locker. We've travelled with many airlines over the years and none of them seems to apply the weight limits or number of carry on bags consistantly. Even easyjet don't, there is a bag checker at the gate and people still get passed it with a case as carry on that is twice the size of the checker....
    Oh... and I agree with charging extra for the cliniclly obese; once sat next to one spilling over me and was the most uncomfortable journey of my life - NEVER going to let that happen to me again...!
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    People actually believe this story? The OP is the biggest Liar since rubber neck and he could stretch them a bit.

Ive been asking you for a while to prove it but sadly your a man of words and nothing else.
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    sungod wrote:

Exploitation implies the the person affected can do nothing about the situation, such as charging for wheelchairs. The rule is entirely non-exploitative as the passenger is 100% in charge of what they bring with them, and they have the means to check themselves.

Anyone with half a brain would have taken stuff out of the suitcases and worn them.

And anyone who starts the argument about passenger weight plus baggage issue is just spoiling for an argument as if such a measure had been implemented, then they would be the first to complain about unfairly 'exploiting' fatties.

I'm flying BA on Thursday and will be, as normal, within my allowance. Next week it'll probably be Emirates and I might be borderline for that one, but whatever happens its my choice adn exploitation doesn't come into it.

of course it's exploitative, there's provably no technical justification for the charge - if there were, they'd charge more for fat people***, they do not do this - it's simply gouging people, the charge does not reflect the incremental cost of service, the fact that it was people travelling with small children makes it even more despicable

the check-in personnel had the discretion and opportunity to be reasonable or to give the people some advice on redistributing their luggage, but they chose the ba way, screw the customer

*** you are wrong on this too, i would NOT complain if they charged by passenger weight, i'm fed up having bloated slobs sprawling all over me on flights, screw them, they want to take more space they can pay for it, not encroach on mine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • VTech
    sungod wrote:
    sungod wrote:

of course it's exploitative, there's provably no technical justification for the charge - if there were, they'd charge more for fat people***, they do not do this - it's simply gouging people, the charge does not reflect the incremental cost of service, the fact that it was people travelling with small children makes it even more despicable

the check-in personnel had the discretion and opportunity to be reasonable or to give the people some advice on redistributing their luggage, but they chose the ba way, screw the customer

*** you are wrong on this too, i would NOT complain if they charged by passenger weight, i'm fed up having bloated slobs sprawling all over me on flights, screw them, they want to take more space they can pay for it, not encroach on mine

So, just so I can get this straight, after all of these pages you actually agree with me ? :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    The thing is it would appear that if the cases were overweight by the amount stated then the BA staff member appears to have overcharged them in any case so it is down to a rogue staff member rather than BA policy. If I were a person with a social conscience and witnessed this I would write to BA giving all the details I knew so they could investigate.
  • VTech
    Pross wrote:
    The thing is it would appear that if the cases were overweight by the amount stated then the BA staff member appears to have overcharged them in any case so it is down to a rogue staff member rather than BA policy. If I were a person with a social conscience and witnessed this I would write to BA giving all the details I knew so they could investigate.

I did this from the lounge, Like I initially said, I didnt think it fair hence posting here. A good topic was ruined due to people having a dislike of me which in fairness could of been dealt with in a far better way (maybe make a new thread, we think vtech is a c0cksuka or something along those lines) but I have a heart and feel for people when they have a tough time, I also noticed them after checkin and they looked very upset, who knows why they didnt take anything out of their cases?, maybe its like someone who freezes when a car is coming towards them when they know they should run, fact is, they could have been able to afford the fine, I dont know either way, I just felt compelled to make a post about it.
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I think a lot of us take flying for granted now but if this family have never done it before maybe they didn't know about weight limits. Then rather the embarrassment of taking stuff out felt it was easier to just pay than create a scene.
  • VTech
    I think a lot of us take flying for granted now but if this family have never done it before maybe they didn't know about weight limits. Then rather the embarrassment of taking stuff out felt it was easier to just pay than create a scene.

That is most probably the case (no pun) I did a bit of googling and it is more common place than I thought.
    I'm also a little but shocked at how so many of the people here have never been anywhere near the weight limit with their case, I'm always there or there abouts in my weight, I've no idea how people get under 15km as mentioned in this thread. The weight of a couple of pairs of shoes, clean clothes (you need two sets a day at least, and then the weight of the case and some odds and sods and your well on your way to 20-22kg.
    Living MY dream.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    VTech wrote:

That is most probably the case (no pun) I did a bit of googling and it is more common place than I thought.
    I'm also a little but shocked at how so many of the people here have never been anywhere near the weight limit with their case, I'm always there or there abouts in my weight, I've no idea how people get under 15km as mentioned in this thread. The weight of a couple of pairs of shoes, clean clothes (you need two sets a day at least, and then the weight of the case and some odds and sods and your well on your way to 20-22kg.

I pack 10kg for 10 days. But I can appreciate that a need for evening-wear on classier (i.e. non-student) holidays might demand a few more kg

wouldn't go near 20kg unless I was going for 2 weeks+ though.
  • VTech
    I believe you when you say that, I'm just not sure I could get anywhere near that. Do you wash your clothes on holiday ? I know people who do but I don't like too, for 10 days I would need at least 25 changes of clothing, maybe 4 pairs of shorts/tshirts, 2 pairs shoes, 3 trainers, pool footware and bits n bobs which I know would be more than 20kg.
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    He's a student! 5 of those kilos are probably pot noodles! :D
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

I wish! Got sick from the dodgy food in Ghana.. you go out there to help and all you get in return is a t-shirt tan and a dodgy stomach bug :roll:

With hindsight maybe should have gone up to the 15kg limit! :mrgreen:
  • CambsNewbie

I wish! Got sick from the dodgy food in Ghana.. you go out there to help and all you get in return is a t-shirt tan and a dodgy stomach bug :roll:

With hindsight maybe should have gone up to the 15kg limit! :mrgreen:

That will learn ya! :D