Happy to sad in 10 seconds BA rant.

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    MattC59 wrote:
    A deterrent isn't a deterrent if its affordable.

Hmmm I tried explaining that one already. It's useless. This guy is seriously dense.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    VTech wrote:
    Get caught speeding @35 in a 30 and get a 3 year ban and you would think it fair ?
    Every society need comparatism.

3 years of driving is worth significantly more than £141 to me :lol:

For someone talking about comparatism.. your comparisons are a bit off!
  • EKIMIKE
    Exactly, speeding fines are another great example of a dis-proportionate fine (obviously VTech is so rich that the piffling amounts for speeding fines do not affect him) in the pursuit of deterrence.

A 3 year driving ban would be like fining the family at the airport £2000.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    VTech wrote:
    Get caught speeding @35 in a 30 and get a 3 year ban and you would think it fair ?

No, but that's not comparable.
    Anyway, if that was the case I'd make damn sure that I didn't risk it. It would be an effective deterrent.
    They knew the risk, took it and got caught out. Their fault, not BA's.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    I might not think it is fair but it would work a a deterrent. Nobody would speed with such penalties.
    Good idea! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    VTech wrote:

Isn't the difference between being hit at 30 and being hit at 35 a matter of life and death though?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    VTech wrote:
    Just at the airport about to catch a flight and there was a family in front of me who were real happy, looked like it was the first family holiday with 2 very young kids.
    They were laughing, taking pics etc then when they get to the desk to check in, their bags were 24.5kg and 25kg. Only 1.5kg and 2kg over and they were charged £141 per bag in overweight charges.
    The woman at the desk took great happiness at the extra charges with the only advice offered as "you really should have checked the weight before arrival"

I realise added weight costs fuel but this takes the mick, that could really hinder the holiday for these guys and whatever reasoning behind weight, £141 per bag is way out of line and totally uncalled for.

Just out of interest, did the check in assistant offer them the chance to remove the extra weight or did they just take the bags and then demand the extra money?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The last time I had this problem I opened my case and stood there putting on 1 item at a time until I got down to the required baggage weight. The queue behind me were clapping, it was quite funny.

I then went to see the check-in manager and demanded to see a copy of the calibration records for the check-in desk I had used. He couldn't provide one, obviously.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    It should be done on combined passenger & luggage weight. If you're a bloater, you can only pack a toothbrush. Seems fair to me.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Gabbo wrote:
    Seema a bit unfair to me, the aircraft cant differenciate between luggage and lard. :x

That's discrimination! :wink:
    Indeed, on the basis of intelligence.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Like some of the other posters on this thread I'm also a frequent traveller, though for business purposes mainly. I have to say that 25kg is one SERIOUSLY heavy case - I've never had one anywhere near that weight!
    Could it be that part of the rationale behind the massive fine may be that the case would need to be treated as "over-weight" baggage, requiring special handling which BA then gets stung for by the airport service provider?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Gabbo wrote:
    Seema a bit unfair to me, the aircraft cant differenciate between luggage and lard. :x

That's discrimination! :wink:
    Indeed, on the basis of intelligence.

And height. I mean, if we're talking weight...?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • chrisaonabike
  • EKIMIKE
    Think of the practicalities of factoring in passenger weight though (as nice-an-idea it is). If applied to all people then it won't just be fatties who pay more. Tall people and muscly people will pay too. What about some who requires the use of a wheelchair - will you make them get out an be weighed or include the weight of the wheelchair, penalising them?

If it's just for fatties then how do you quantify it? Raw weight? BMI? Where do you draw the line on what is 'fat' and what is not? Do they self-certify their weight or does someone have to make an assessment at check-in? Do you charge an incrementally or a flat-rate?

Bags are easy. You set the weight limit whack them on the scales - is it over or under? Job done. No-one is going to argue that you discriminated against their bag.
  • chrisaonabike
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Think of the practicalities of factoring in passenger weight
    It's not about weight.

You know those barriers that stop you taking trolleys up the escalator?

Make the passengers walk through suitable gaps on their way to departures. Only people that fit into one seat will make it through.

Simples.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well if they discriminated by body weight or shape they'd just have no customers at all, would they. Maybe some body-fascist endurance racer types but most balanced human beings would steer well clear.

All the airlines are after is a crude method of making sure the plane doesn't go overweight. They can't just leave your bag behind, so they impose a punitive fine that, if most people are aware of it, will cause most people to check their bags' weights before checking in.

You can bet that the people in that family will never make that error ever again.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Droops wrote:
    Like some of the other posters on this thread I'm also a frequent traveller, though for business purposes mainly. I have to say that 25kg is one SERIOUSLY heavy case - I've never had one anywhere near that weight!
    Could it be that part of the rationale behind the massive fine may be that the case would need to be treated as "over-weight" baggage, requiring special handling which BA then gets stung for by the airport service provider?

That is a very good point. According to BA's own website for an overweight bag between 23kg's - 32kg's a fee of £40 is payable at check-in. Children 2 - 11 also get the same allowance over 2 bags & children under 2 get 1 bag at the same weight, plus a stroller/pushchair.

So does sound that the 2 bags should have been £80 if only overweight.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    It's greed on BA's part.

An Airbus A320 carries 150 passengers maximum, the aircraft don't always carry a full fuel load and has a max payload of 16,600 Kg.

This works out at 110Kg per passenger, if every seat is taken.

Also bear in mind they use some aircraft as freighters! So 2 bags being 1.5Kg over shouldn't be that much of an issue.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/ ... fications/
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    What about a combined maximum total weight of 110kgs if you and your luggage weigh more than this you can't fly and have to go to the north of England for your holidays instead, fair? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    If you don't like the terms and conditions of the airline don't use them. The amount of idiots at an easyjet check-in recently whose cases were over the limit should have been shocking. It doesn't take a genius to work out stuffing your case with booze and tabbaco is going to make it heavier. Shouting how unfair it was pointless and just held everyone else up.
    Too many people think they have a right to do exactly as they want. Take some personal responsibility and consider your actions.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    d87heaven wrote:
    If you don't like the terms and conditions of the airline don't use them. The amount of idiots at an easyjet check-in recently whose cases were over the limit should have been shocking. It doesn't take a genius to work out stuffing your case with booze and tabbaco is going to make it heavier. Shouting how unfair it was pointless and just held everyone else up.
    Too many people think they have a right to do exactly as they want. Take some personal responsibility and consider your actions.

I can't be certain but I have a feeling the kids bottles were filled with milk not whiskey. I also think the nappies were not filled with rolling tobacco either.
    Living MY dream.
  • d87heaven wrote:
    +1 to this. Does anyone really give a rats if Mr & Mrs Moron have to pay more because they want to take the kitchen sink on the flight? Them's the rules - get over it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • daviesee
    To the original post.
    VTech wrote:
    ....when they get to the desk to check in, their bags were 24.5kg and 25kg. Only 1.5kg and 2kg over and they were charged £141 per bag in overweight charges.
    The woman at the desk took great happiness at the extra charges with the only advice offered as "you really should have checked the weight before arrival".....
    According to BA's website http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb They were allowed a minimum of 4 bags at 23kg, 2 push chairs and two car seats. Generous, I would say.
    If they only had 2 bags, it would have been cheaper to buy a third bag and split the load. If they had 4 bags, they are taking too much. The woman at check in gave good advice.
  • According to BA's own website for an overweight bag between 23kg's - 32kg's a fee of £40 is payable at check-in. Children 2 - 11 also get the same allowance over 2 bags & children under 2 get 1 bag at the same weight, plus a stroller/pushchair.

So does sound that the 2 bags should have been £80 if only overweight.

Which does put the facts of the original post in doubt.

As a frequent flyer, my experience of BA is that their service is fine in the air, but poor on the ground. In addition, to my view some of their policies are commercial suicide. I used to fly with BA a fair bit, but once they introduced the charge for seat selection I simply switched to airlines that didn't impose the charge. I haven't used them since.

It used to be the case that BA and other full service airlines allowed a bit of flexibility on baggage allowances. In my opinion, this is good practise as it avoids arguments over scales calibration or "I weighed it at home and it was definitely under" etc. Regardless of the actual facts here, a customer that is charged a substantial fee for a relatively small overweight is unlikely to use that airline again if an alternative is available. Having said that, though, it is an undeniable fact that many airlines are clamping down on overweight baggage as a way of generating additional revenue in what is becoming an ever more highly competitive market.
  • VTech
    The woman at check in didnt give advice. She quoted a charge.
    The couple had 2 checked bags, both slightly overweight. A buggy for the younger kid and 2 carry on.overall they were incredibly underweight given that they didnt use 4 cases.

Listen, I made a point, it was my point. I didn't ask anyone to be sympathetic although I feel good in the fact that I did feel that way. I prefer not to be so harsh in my judgement and like the way I am. Likewise you are entitled to feel how you feel and not give a second thought to a young couple with kids who made a silly mistake.
    Living MY dream.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    VTech wrote:
    I can't be certain but I have a feeling the kids bottles were filled with milk not whiskey. I also think the nappies were not filled with rolling tobacco either.

Like you can't buy those things in every country a family would holiday in?

I agree the penalty is harsh, but as discussed, its their as a deterrent and is stated in the T's & C's.

As an aside - The heaviest case/rucksack i can remember checking in was 14kg.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    VTech wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:

I never stated the people you mentioned had whiskey filled bottles.

My main point was you know the rules so if you break them you suffer the penalty. They have only themselves to blame.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • daviesee
    VTech wrote:
    The woman at the desk took great happiness at the extra charges with the only advice offered as "you really should have checked the weight before arrival"
    and
    VTech wrote:
    The woman at check in didnt give advice. She quoted a charge.
    So. Did she or didn't she?
    Sorry. No sympathy. Everyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that airlines have limits which may be adhered to. The subject has been all over the media for years. To not weigh and take 3 bags was silly.
    As the penalty should have been limited to £80 for 2 bags something is fishy.
  • VTech
    Yes. I've taken on board what you guys have said.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    VTech wrote:
    Yes. I've taken on board what you guys have said.
    Was that in your carry on allowance? :wink: