Riding after knee surgery.

fuzzbear
fuzzbear Posts: 112
Just had surgery on my right knee to sort a large bucket handle tear of the cartilage. I'll be off the bike for a while until it's fully healed. Any of you guys had an knee arthroscopy & if so did you have any problems when you started riding again?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Comments

• I have had 2 knee ops both cartlidge related and the first I hadn't taken up cycling by this point.
    I took up cycling for this very reason it seemed to be the only form of excersize I could do without joint pain.just return to cycling with lower expectation that your distance and av speed isn't important for the time being and focus on enjoying the bike and rehabilitating that knee
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Get full Rom back in the knee asap. Get on a turbo as soon as you can and keep the knee moving. Keep it really easy in low gear and start off just using the good leg to get the Rom back Do the isometric exercises on the sheet they should give you. Then progress to wall squats with a gym ball on your back. Next progression is one legged dips.
    Everyone heals differently. I've had clients back to sport 4 weeks post op some have taken 6 months.
    Best advice is to see a sports physio or sports therapist etc, for an assessment.
    Good luck.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • fuzzbear
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've been keeping the knee moving & I'm doing my isometric exercises from the sheet. I see my consultant this Wednesday & after that have some physio sessions booked. I'm hoping to ride the Lincoln Grand Prix Sportive on 11th May. I will probs just do the middle distance 50 miles or so? But, I guess this all depends on what the experts say..

No point trying to run before you can walk.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had 3 arthroscopic knee cartilage operations (one knee twice, rather than 3 knees). First time, both knees, aged 37, back on the bike in a fortnight and speedy return to full fitness. Second time, right knee again but a bit more aggressive surgery, aged 50, probably a month before I felt comfortable and pedalling normally up hill. On each occasion the consultant recommended cycling as part of the rehab.
  • fuzzbear
    Just got back from seeing the consultant. He's pleased with how the procedure went. No swelling & good rom.
    He said give it a month before riding but only steady at first & build on that. See's no reason why I shouldn't return to full fitness within time. The important thing is to let it heal properly & be patient.

Looks like I'll miss the Lincoln GP Sportive but should be fine for events later in the season..

Happy with that :)

• I've had two knee reconstructions now, one on each knee. The first was circa 10yrs ago, the most recent about 18 months.

The only thing i would suggest is get the R.O.M back to the point where you can train and then ride, then it will simply be a case of spinning away. The knee will tell you how much power you can put through it.

Yo'll need physio and get the odd twang and feeling of discomfort but you should be fine. The i.t band gave me the most trouble (as its the biggest ligament/muscle), however the massage foam roll's are a good investment and can break any knots down. When i saw the sports physio it felt like someone was pushing golf balls through the ligaments.
  • fuzzbear
    Whoa! Mr Brightside, that looks nasty. Makes mine look like nothing.. I've got my first physio booked for next week so I'll see how it goes. Happy with my progress so far. Getting the odd twinge & strange sensation but, I guess this is to be expected.