My Son was on telly and not one person in my office watched

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
My younger son is a bit of a lovey and was on a new telly series this week (Broadchurch) and not one of my miserable fellow office workers watched it (despite 6.8 million people seeing it apparently) - so having been totally bereft of dad smugness, I am posting it here to a bunch of internet "colleagues" I want my smug dad moment please!

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    post footage, or it didn't happen..........
  • jonomc4
    on ITV catch-up

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/broadchur ... /episode-1

He is the kid at the start on the cliff edge - the one who gets murdered.
    Basically he plays dead for the episode (tough one eh!) and then appears in later episodes in flashbacks - with his main scene being the murder scene (final episode) when everyone gets to know who killed him. Last year he was in Anna Kerenina and got to be hugged a kissed by Kiera Knightly loads (another tough job eh!)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Ah, Broadchurch. Based on a Danish murder mystery novel i believe.

Didn't see it mind.
  • jonomc4
    I hear that but I dunno personally as I have never watched one - actually I don't really watch TV much at all. Still want my smug dad moment though!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I once watched Little Britain just to see a friend's daughter on it

Your colleagues are Berks, for full meaning look it up. Unbelievable. They could at least have lied to make you feel good.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Last year he was in Anna Kerenina and got to be hugged a kissed by Kiera Knightly loads (another tough job eh!)

Can I be his stunt double?

My wife watched it. Did not appeal to me, but I did catch bits of it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Well done that lad, and congratulations to you too, you must be chuffed to bits.

The older I get, the better I was.

• jonomc4
    Agreed - they should have lied - Yep they are from the Berkshire hunt! Works for me :)

I think one has decided to look at it on the ITV catchup - guess who get the pay rise this year....

Funny thing was I did get quite a few stunt double offer for the Kerenina role - for some reason!
  • jonomc4
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Well done that lad, and congratulations to you too, you must be chuffed to bits.

Yeah - I am double chuffed but mostly cos I just got my smug dad moment - thanks. It is all him and nothing to do with me I realise but I do want that smug parent moment. I can't say about it other than somewhere like this because it would just look to pathetic, and anything like that on twitter I would just get a rush of "who killed him questions".

BTW - I want to point out he goes to normal school and only acts for fun - not for anything serious, so I don't come under the pushy parent brigade.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    jonomc4 wrote:

BTW - I want to point out he goes to normal school and only acts for fun - not for anything serious, so I don't come under the pushy parent brigade.

But even so, it's a start and any possible career/job for the future has to be good? If nothing else comes of it, he's topping up his Uni fund for later.

The older I get, the better I was.

• jonomc4
    that's true - though I think I am expected to pay that anyway :( but it will also look good on any university application form I think.

The plan is that he has to go to a good university and study for a worthwhile degree and then he can do what he likes. Currently he wants to act later in life, but he may change his way of thinking and the last thing I want him to do is to have to serve tables for the rest of his life. But he really enjoys it and being a big doctor Who fan (a really big fan) he had a really great time meeting all his TV heroes. All I want them is to have the education to do what they want in life and not get stuck in some mid life rut.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Does he know whodunit? You could set up a spoiler thread :D
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Funny that no post on here showing relatives on Jim 'll Fix It :wink:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    nice one :D tho didn't watch it as it said it had kids being murdered, hate to see suffering acting or otherwise :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • jonomc4
    It's only one kid that got killed and when I left home this morning he seemed fine despite being murdered a couple of months ago.

yep We know who dunnit (after all he had to so the scene of the person killing him)- but we were made to sign a raft of legal documents to say we wouldn't tell, and I think it would just about end his career if he did. And I am glad to say he has never been on Jim'll fix it! Though happily I did write to jim'll fix it and never got invited to go on the show.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Revel in your smug dadness :D

Couldn't watch the link, apparently I live outside the region! Saw the image of the beach at Burton Bradstock though the rest is a secret to us non licence payers!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    jonomc4 wrote:
    and got to be hugged a kissed by Kiera Knightly loads (another tough job eh!)

jammy little sod.....
  • Some of the filming was at my kids school. We were on holiday when they filmed the sportsday so they missed out, but all their mates were in as extras.
    I've missed out on dad smugness too.
  • jonomc4
    Sorry - to hear that :( dad smugness is great. My son was there on that day to to have photos taken, I think of him with his "school friends"

Actually that is the really weird thing - seeing your son on film is not so weird - but also they have put a load of our family photos of when Oskar was younger in the family house and when they do shots inside the house you suddenly see photos of when he was younger that we have up in our own house - still takes me by surprise now.

A couple of pics

Broadchurch

BCCast2.jpg

Suffering in Kerenina

Capture3.JPG
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Nice one. Good for him. We've Sky+'d it and will hopefully get to watch it this w'end.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I watched it - I really enjoyed it.
    Can't wait for the next 7 episodes to if I guessed right "whodunit"
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Eventually got to watch it last night. A great show can't wait for the rest of it. Some good acting and I eventually got used to the accents.
    May your Smugness continue.
  • jonomc4
    thanks for the added smugness I now feel :) at last I realise that it was just my mum and my family that watched it!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    One question. Did he really have to stand on the edge of that cliff? And what was the significance of the drip of blood on his finger?

Ok, two questions!
  • jonomc4
    Can't answer the blood on the finger - I think it is a bit more important than first seems (but not to the point where it reveals the identity of the killer).

And no he wasn't actually on the edge of the cliff, just a ledge they added the drop later :) which is lucky because it was really cold and windy when they filmed that.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Congratulations. Who knows where all this will lead. But still keep him on the turbo trainer 6 hours a day just in case!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Fantastic smug points and well deserved!
  • jonomc4
    Thanks for allowing the smug points :)

He is doing kind of well for someone who just does it for fun!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    jonomc4 wrote:
    He is doing kind of well for someone who just does it for fun!

Yes I can imagine getting hugged and kissed by Keira Knightly would be fun - and he got paid for it!!! I really dont like your son!! :D :twisted: :twisted:

PS the above must score triple smugness points surely?? :D
  • lito
    lito Posts: 4
    jonomc4 wrote:
    My younger son is a bit of a lovey and was on a new telly series this week (Broadchurch) and not one of my miserable fellow office workers watched it (despite 6.8 million people seeing it apparently) - so having been totally bereft of dad smugness, I am posting it here to a bunch of internet "colleagues" I want my smug dad moment please!

Would I be right in saying you probably spent every waking minute reminding them that your son was going to be on TV until they got so sick of hearing it that they most likely boycott the program out of spite? People who push how great their kids are onto others are such a bore. If he made it on TV good for him, but guess what 99.9% of us JUST DON'T CARE!!! Then to add about making sure his uni education comes first blah blah, again No one gives a sh!t. Be proud of your kids by all means, glad that people do as lots couldn't give a rats ar5e about theirs, but please keep it to yourself as we really could't care less.